300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Move Over Law

Why can't Maryland get a "Move Over Law" passed? At this point only D.C. and Hawaii are the hold outs.

There was one on the books this year but it did not get any attention and died.

I suppose in the coming years there will be on one the books but I honestly see it hard to enforce (much like yeilding to an emergency vehicle).

Comment

That's to bad that it died. In Florida, the Move Over Law is enforced and it almost always holds up in court. I am sure its only a matter of time before Maryland gets it.

Comment

Maryland cant keep murderers in prison, cant balance the budget, continues to lay people off, cant clean up the Chesapeake Bay, Cant stop Global Warming, should i continue ???????????

Comment

Sounds like a mess...

Comment

I do see many motorists "move over" as a courtesy in the southern maryland region, and I always do it when possible.

Comment

Originally posted by 2971511 View Post
              Maryland cant keep murderers in prison, cant balance the budget, continues to lay people off, cant clean up the Chesapeake Bay, Cant stop Global Warming, should i continue ???????????
              If New Jersey could it, Im sure it possible anywhere else. Lol
              We ride for those who died!

RIP SgtCHP!

Comment

As far as enforcement goes about the only time I can see it enforced is if I'm backing up a guy and his stop is over and he's finishing up paper. I'm not about to leave a guy I'm backing up on a traffic stop to stop someone who didnt move over.

Also I'm sure MD will have a tid bit that states "If the driver feels it's safe to change lanes upon approaching a stopped emergency vehicle he or she must do so".

So thus you'll never be able to prove what the driver felt was safe.

Comment

39:4-92.2 Procedure for motorist approaching stationary authorized emergency vehicle, tow truck, highway maintenance or emergency service vehicle.

1. a. The operator of a motor vehicle approaching a stationary authorized emergency vehicle as defined in R.S.39:1-1 that is displaying a flashing, blinking or alternating red or blue light or, any configuration of lights containing one of these colors, shall approach the authorized emergency vehicle with due caution and shall, absent any other direction by a law enforcement officer, proceed as follows:

(1)Make a lane change into a lane not adjacent to the authorized emergency vehicle if possible in the existing safety and traffic conditions; or

(2)If a lane change pursuant to paragraph (1) of subsection a. of this section would be impossible, prohibited by law or unsafe, reduce the speed of the motor vehicle to a reasonable and proper speed for the existing road and traffic conditions, which speed shall be less than the posted speed limit, and be prepared to stop.

b.The operator of a motor vehicle approaching a stationary tow truck as defined in section 1 of P.L.1999, c.396 (C.39:3-84.6) that is displaying a flashing amber light or a stationary highway maintenance or emergency service vehicle that is operated by the State, an authority or a county or municipality and displaying flashing yellow, amber, or red lights shall approach the vehicle with due caution and shall, absent any other direction by a law enforcement officer, proceed as follows:

(1)Make a lane change into a lane not adjacent to the tow truck or highway maintenance or emergency service vehicle if possible in the existing safety and traffic conditions; or

(2)If a lane change under paragraph (1) of subsection b. of this section would be impossible, prohibited by law or unsafe, reduce the speed of the motor vehicle to a reasonable and proper speed for the existing road and traffic conditions, which speed shall be less than the posted speed limit, and be prepared to stop.

c.A violation of this section shall be punished by a fine of not less than $100 and not more than $500
                  We ride for those who died!

RIP SgtCHP!

Comment

That's fine for NJ but MD usually screws up most new laws.

Even going off of NJ law it's hard to say what's a reasonably low speed is....A good defense attorney would eat it up I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Name Taken View Post
                      Also I'm sure MD will have a tid bit that states "If the driver feels it's safe to change lanes upon approaching a stopped emergency vehicle he or she must do so".

LOL. I am still at a loss as to why the wording hasn't been changed yet.

Comment

It is law, and enforced, in Indiana. Stiff penalties for not doing so.
                        Sworn on September 22, 2010

Comment

FLORIDA

(b) When an authorized emergency vehicle making use of any visual signals is parked or a wrecker displaying amber rotating or flashing lights is performing a recovery or loading on the roadside, the driver of every other vehicle, as soon as it is safe:

1. Shall vacate the lane closest to the emergency vehicle or wrecker when driving on an interstate highway or other highway with two or more lanes traveling in the direction of the emergency vehicle or wrecker, except when otherwise directed by a law enforcement officer. If such movement cannot be safely accomplished, the driver shall reduce speed as provided in subparagraph 2.

2. Shall slow to a speed that is 20 miles per hour less than the posted speed limit when the posted speed limit is 25 miles per hour or greater; or travel at 5 miles per hour when the posted speed limit is 20 miles per hour or less, when driving on a two-lane road, except when otherwise directed by a law enforcement officer.

Comment

Reading the laws posted....I'm 85% confident no law in MD bearing that verbage would ever pass.

Unsafe lane change in MD has to be a lane change which the driver felt was unsafe...how do you ever prove that.

On a side not it's funny to see people who are not familiar with MD comment on laws or potential laws. You are dealing with a whole different animal in this state then most.

Comment

I wrote a guy once for changing lanes w/o caution, and documented it well. The Asst. USA, told me "did the guy crash, did he cause an accident??, well we will never win this in court with MD case law as a guide.

I stopped writing that charge after that.

MD is kind of weird like that, i think thats what NAKETAKEN is trying to say.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6326 users online. 311 members and 6015 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X