Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AA Community College Police Academy

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • AA Community College Police Academy

    Since I accepted a fed position in MD with a basic 9-5, Iam looking into getting myself MPCTC certified. I know the AA community college police academy is run by the SO, however other than what is posted on the webpage does anyone know if the academy is part time?
    I don't answer recruitment messages....

  • #2
    PM "theheights109"

    Comment


    • #3
      And then let me know the answer as well please..need a new workplace
      Dispatch, we have a 9-11, Armed Robbery in progress. Seay's Surplus Store, corner People's Drive and 124th Street.

      Comment


      • #4
        the academy can be part time. You will take basic college courses, which you may be able to test out. Meaning with the permission of the department head you basically take the final exam and if you pass that is your grade for the class. There is a session at the Anne Arundel County Police Academy. This session is 4-5 weeks I think. It is Monday - Friday during the day.

        This is a good program however when I last checked they do not off EVOC or Firearms. You will not get your full certification until they are completed. Many large agencies will still send you through an academy with this certification. You Fed guys MAY be different depending on prior Police expierience.

        Hope this answers some of your questions. Doing theclasses part time will take about two years to complete depending on your class schedule.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by orlandofed5-0 View Post
          Since I accepted a fed position in MD with a basic 9-5, Iam looking into getting myself MPCTC certified. I know the AA community college police academy is run by the SO, however other than what is posted on the webpage does anyone know if the academy is part time?
          Everything Cooper said is correct.

          The kicker is since you won't get firearms or EVOC, you cannot be certified, so unless you get hired and an agency will send you to EVOC and firearms, it's pointless, unless you want the 42 credits. The courses they offer are for CJ students, the "academy" and the law students they have their.

          The summer session though is mandatory. Which you would have to take leave I guess to attend. I know of some guys that started in the fall semester and by the end of the summer they finished the course, but could not get hired, could not get certified and wasted their money. But had 42 college credits!

          PG community college offers the whole package and has recruiters at their grad.
          "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

          Comment


          • #6
            Damn, and I was seriously considering this academy to put myself through. Can you take this one from start to finish then go over to say, PGCC, and get EVO and Firearms?

            Comment


            • #7
              Why would you? Just get accepted into PGCC and do the whole academy. AACC is broken up into semesters and can take up to 1 year to complete the whole course.
              "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

              Comment


              • #8
                PG Municipal (PGCC) are going to have an orientation for those interested in sponsoring themselves through their academy in August, from what I was told. I would call them and obtain more information if you are interested. AACO CC's academy, from my understanding is more of a classroom environment and not paramilitary, as opposed to PG Municipal, which is very paramilitary.

                Comment


                • #9
                  AACC's academy is essentially classroom. The student officers attend class with other criminal justice students. When I talked to the director when I was going to college there he indicated that students spend the winter break at the AACO Police Academy and do firearms. Their "PT" was a class called Physical Conditioning for Law Enforcement and Fire Fighters or something of that nature. It takes about 2 semesters and the winter break and the schedule was sort of flexible with certain classes. I know for certain that AACO Sheriff's Office accepts this academy as do many small municipalities. I know a couple of people went to Denton Police (Caroline County). This was a couple of years ago so things may have changed.

                  PG Municipal is a full fledged traditional academy.
                  "Ladies and gentlemen. It gives me great pleasure in introducing you to the future of law enforcement. ED-209"

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Sounds like something good for me - I can keep my full time job and get my MD academy cert at the same time. I'll just have to find a small dept to run with once I graduate.

                    Anyone know how good the prospects are for getting hired after graduation?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by DEcop989 View Post
                      Sounds like something good for me - I can keep my full time job and get my MD academy cert at the same time. I'll just have to find a small dept to run with once I graduate.

                      Anyone know how good the prospects are for getting hired after graduation?
                      A few agencies have their recruiters attending the academy. My bestfriend was hired before she even graduated the academy and her department paid for half of it. So just do your absolute best and keep in mind you never know who has their eye on you.
                      "Intelligence plus character that is the goal of true education." - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by ED-209 View Post
                        AACC's academy is essentially classroom. The student officers attend class with other criminal justice students. When I talked to the director when I was going to college there he indicated that students spend the winter break at the AACO Police Academy and do firearms. Their "PT" was a class called Physical Conditioning for Law Enforcement and Fire Fighters or something of that nature. It takes about 2 semesters and the winter break and the schedule was sort of flexible with certain classes. I know for certain that AACO Sheriff's Office accepts this academy as do many small municipalities. I know a couple of people went to Denton Police (Caroline County). This was a couple of years ago so things may have changed.

                        PG Municipal is a full fledged traditional academy.
                        Every agency that is willing to send you to EVOC/Firearms will accept the program, however it does not certify you as a LEO in Maryland just because you complete the program.

                        Decop, you still have to apply if you pass the program. As stated before, their is a mandatory summer session, Mon-Fri that you have to attend. This still does not certify you in Maryland until you complete all of the requirements from MPTC.
                        "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          AACo CC DOES NOT OFFER Firearms or EVOC. As far as getting hired, I completed the session when it was held in the summer. Finished July 3rd started with a small agency on the Eastern Shore July 30. I have been working as an officer for the las 11 years. I still help with the program during the winter session.
                          As stated above I was able to work full time and complete the program. This was a BIG plus for me since I was married and could not afford to stop working.
                          Before you complete the program start applying to agencies. Do not be afraid of attending an academy for a department. You will be a step ahead of the rest of the class on law and procedure, basically the academics.
                          Good luck to everyone. The AACo CC program has worked for me.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I called them yesterday for info, they now offered the EVO training, but firearms is still absent

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I called over. If I can get a department to sponser me, they can do most of the Comparitive compliance and get an MPCTC cert. ITs something like 4 courses since Iam still qualified under my MD RR police commission.
                              I don't answer recruitment messages....

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 6192 users online. 353 members and 5839 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X