300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conditional Offer of Employment

After one receive's a "Conditional Offer of Employment" and successfully completes the psych/medical exams, is there yet another set of selections to be made? Or is it a guarantee at that point?

Almost every agency in Maryland, except Baltimore City, has a selection committee. So yes, even if you pass everything you still need to be selected.

Comment

Originally posted by hopefull05 View Post
      After one receive's a "Conditional Offer of Employment" and successfully completes the psych/medical exams, is there yet another set of selections to be made? Or is it a guarantee at that point?
      a conditional offer means NOTHING. 99% of the applicants get the COE. just like the term states, its conditional.

Comment

Like always, JVegas hit the nail on the head. Just because you get all the way thru, doesn't mean you will get hired. That's the chance you take.

Comment

Originally posted by mstrgunz View Post
          Like always, JVegas hit the nail on the head. Just because you get all the way thru, doesn't mean you will get hired. That's the chance you take.
          Unless you are in with City. Like others have said City Police does not have a selection committee. If you pass all steps of the process you are hired, and then you will be placed behind a desk or something clerical until you start an academy. All other agencies that I know of have a selection committee before you are hired.

Comment

They usually have you sign the COA so they can give you a Polygraph test. The COA means nothing in regards to the final selection.

Comment

Oh, I guess I was told wrong because I was under the impression that selections occurred before the medical/psych and they only send those they are seriously considering into a medical and psych exam but if your saying almost all applicants get a COE then nevermind. Thanks thats why I come here for anwsers.

And dmbfan, I took the poly long before I received the COE.
              Last edited by hopefull05; 04-09-2009, 10:09 PM.

Comment

FWIW, the ADA prohibits employers and employment agencies from conducting medical examinations or making disability-related inquiries before an applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment. 42 U.S.C. QO 12112 (d) (2) and (3); 29 C.F.R. 8B 1630.13, 1630.14. These prohibitions are meant to ensure that an individual's nonmedical qualifications are considered before his/her medical condition is evaluated. They also ensure that, if a job offer is withdrawn after a medical examination/inquiry, the applicant is aware that the reason for the withdrawal relates to his/her medical condition, and not to non-medical qualifications.

So, if after passing the medical and psych, a selection committee still turns you down for a non-medical reason, it would violate ADA and there may be grounds for a civil suit.
                Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

So, what your saying L-1 is that a conditional offer of employment must be given before an applicants medical condition is evaluated. And after that the only reason a COE can be withdrawn is for medical reasons? If that is so then my question to jvegas is how can 99% of applicants be given a COE? I dont understand because that would mean a whole lot of applicants would be turned down due to medical reasons.....
                  Last edited by hopefull05; 04-09-2009, 11:20 PM.

Comment

If you read the COE it will outline the conditions of your employment. Anything that is outlined on that list can be grounds for termination. Just keep your nose clean and listen to what they say and you should be good. What agency did you get your conditional for?

Comment

Every agencies give you COE during different times, but it is mostly offered at the beginning of process. It outlines that you must pass all the necessary steps in order for you to be considered for a Final Offer. Of course once you pass EVERY step, then your file are put in stack of files for consideration. Then whoever is MOST qualified from the stack gets to fill in the limited slots for the academy. So nothing is ever sure until you have signed the paper and sitting in the class. Hope this helps.

Comment

PulPo that does help and I understand there is definatley no garauntee. But if what L-1 is saying is true about the only reason an agency can withdraw a COE is due to a medical reason then that would seem like alot of applicants being denied for a "medical reason" if indeed a COE was given at the beggining stages of a process.

Comment

So, what your saying L-1 is that a conditional offer of employment must be given before an applicants medical condition is evaluated. And after that the only reason a COE can be withdrawn is for medical reasons? If that is so then my question to jvegas is how can 99% of applicants be given a COE? I dont understand because that would mean a whole lot of applicants would be turned down due to medical reasons.....
                          I can offer three possible explanations for the discrepancies between my statement and that of jvegas:

1. I cannot speak for jvegas. You will have to ask him directly.

2. ADA is quite specific. The medical and psych can only be administered in connection with a bona fide offer of employment. This was reaffirmed in Leonel v. American Airlines, 400. F.3d 702 (9th Cir. 2005, when the court found that refusal to hire for a non-medical reason after the physical was given violated ADA. Nonetheless, some agencies are unaware of the law while others simply play by their own rules and risk federal lawsuits.

3. It is possible the information jvegas provided you may be out of date and not in keeping with current practices.

The reality is that entry level law enforcement physicals tend to be exhaustive and expensive. It is fiscally imprudent to put numerous applicants through a time consuming and costly physical, only to have a committee dump most of them later on because they don't like the cut of their jib.

For further information check out:

http://www.eeoc.gov/foia/letters/200...minations.html

http://www.hallrender.com/library/ar...al%20Exams.pdf

http://www.ada.gov/copsq7a.pdf
                          Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

COE has nothing to do with the medical, at least in MD. I had been given 3 COE by different agencies, passed all the steps and still did not make the final cut. you must be given a COE before they can DQ, or not hire.

not saying L-1 is wrong, maybe thats how it works in cali, but not here. id love to see someone sue in MD over that.

Comment

A COE is not just about the medical examination. It also states that you must pass all other parts of the selection process and even then, you still might not be selected for employment. Most places I have had experience with give this to you the day of your polygraph examination. Every agency is different, so sometimes a polygraph examination could be before background (ex: HCPD), sometimes after (ex: MdTA). If you are given a COE, you can still not be selected for any reason; it doesn't have to be in relation to your medical evaluation.

I personally look at COE's as a statement saying that you have succeeded in the application process up to this point and you are still eligible for employment.

L-1's post makes sense, and may very well be the reason to why COE's are given out; just be aware that they are given at different times of a process depending on the agency you are applying to, and at least here in Maryland, are contingent on factors other than just the medical evaluation.
                              Last edited by mp1161; 04-10-2009, 09:22 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5334 users online. 376 members and 4958 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X