300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to become "more qualified"

Hi guys. So I've been turned down by a couple police agencies. I've went through the entire process (written, PAT, interview, polygraph, background, etc.), and I've been told there is more qualified applicants. I also didn't squeak by on the tests, I did quite well. I've gone back to college for criminal justice classes, and also have taken a security officer job now.

Is there anything else I could do to help better my chances?

yes...keep applying and trying
    Just shut your damn hole

Dead Souls-----They keep calling me

Comment

Originally posted by HonestFool03 View Post
      ...I've been told there is more qualified applicants. Is there anything else I could do to help better my chances?
      Nobody likes to be told that they failed, so in this touchy feely world, some agencies use warm and fuzzy phrases such as, "we have elected to go with more qualified applicants."

Some agencies won't take anyone who scores less than 70 on the written or the oral. Get 69 or less on either and you will get a "more qualified candidate" letter. For a while, my own agency would only take people whose combined written and oral scored were 95 or higher. Get less than 95 and we sent you the "more qualified candidate" letter. (And we could never figure out why it was so hard to fill vacancies.) The same goes with the physical agility, medical, psych and background. Instead of saying you failed to meet our criteria, you get the more qualified candidate line.

I suspect it has a lot to do with follow up inquiries from applicants. If they say you failed to meet the criteria, candidates will call, ask what the criteria was and then want to argue the matter at length over the phone with some clerk or officer who has no idea what the legal, professional or medical basis was for the requirement in the first place. Even if they did, they are not empowered to change things, so the conversation is pointless.
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

no, my scores were good

they were 95 and above

@Chiller: yeah that's the plan

Comment

Originally posted by HonestFool03 View Post
          no, my scores were good

they were 95 and above
          Sounds like you failed one of the other processes, probably the background. Again, just keep trying.
          Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

With so many applicants having college degrees now, if you tie with someone with one, they're going to get it. So I agree with "Up On Base" and recommend getting it. Or at the very least, enroll in a program and show your enthusiasm for it at the next interview! You can quit after they hire you!! hahaha... (just kidding!)
            Deus Caritas Est

Comment

If you MUST go to college to "pad" your "skills" please do not go for a criminal justice degree.

Get a degree or start taking classes in a field that you can do outside of law enforcement.

Comment

Originally posted by Name Taken View Post
                If you MUST go to college to "pad" your "skills" please do not go for a criminal justice degree.

Get a degree or start taking classes in a field that you can do outside of law enforcement.
                I agree get a degree in something else, it would be more beneficial when you leave.

As far as making yourself look better improve necessary skills, typing, computers, programs, etc. You may also want to ask the recruiters you dealt with what you can do to improve, and what you were weak on.

Comment

apply to a less competitive agency that hires everyone candidate that passes the process. BPD is an agency that does this. use them to get the experience and then lateral somewhere else later. IMO, this is the quickest way to "be more qualified", plus you will earn some time towards retirement.

Comment

Chiller gave the best advise...KEEP applying, take a small bit of knowledge from each written, poly, psych...etc. you take. Gluck, keep your head up.

Comment

Another way to make yourself more marketable is to become "certified", or in this state, "eligible for certification." So, look into some self-sponsor academy programs like Prince George's Community College or Anne Arundel Community College. Some departments (usually county agencies) will require that you attend some version of their academy no matter where you come from. There are some decent, or even excellent, municipal agencies that will take applicants straight out of those programs...the biggest piece of advice was already given, and that is don't give up and apply until you get hired. Unless you are a total mess, somebody will hire you.

Comment

Originally posted by Chiller View Post
                        yes...keep applying and trying
                        Best thing you can really do. I laugh everytime I see this question like "What can I do inorder to be more qualified" or like this one "How to become more qualified". Seriously the only thing you can do to become a more qualified/good candidate is do your best on the required test, be honest, and keep a clean nose. People vary, Departments vary, and as you can see here opinions vary.

You can have all the enthusiasm, college, prior experience, and/or military under you belt and still not get hired by an L.E. Agency. You can have the mininum of a High School Diploma and still get hired on by alot of good agencies. It depends on you personally when you go and apply for these jobs in Law Enforcement. Keep you head up high as well...

Another thing that crosses my mind. You have some departments here in this state that offer an associate's degree program like MSP, MdTA, Howard, and probably a few more. If I didnt have a degree I would take advantage of those agencies that offer such a good program. GO FIGURE

Comment

Originally posted by jvegas View Post
                          apply to a less competitive agency that hires everyone candidate that passes the process. BPD is an agency that does this. use them to get the experience and then lateral somewhere else later. IMO, this is the quickest way to "be more qualified", plus you will earn some time towards retirement.

This is the best advice in here, IMO. And it's the easiest/fastest. Just get your foot in the door somewhere. Actual police experience is generally more valuable than a degree or military experience, not to mention it will get you certified. Most departments now are lowering their standards, not raising them, especially for patrol officers. There are departments that are hurting for people and basically just require a pulse and semi-clean background.

Getting some college, at least an associates degree, would definitely be beneficial before AND after you get a job. But you definitely shouldn't stop applying just because you don't have a degree.
                          Guns don't kill people. Chuck Norris kills People.

Comment

See in my case its different...(I know its early yet)....I am currently only a sophmore at a 4 yr school studying Criminal Justice w/ a Concentration in Law Enforcement Administration...I have already been contacted SPECIFICALY by four different agencies in Maryland who are Interested in my empolyment. I have never heard of anyone ever getting an "interest letter" for an agency...ESPECIALLY as a sophmore...My worry is that I will end up getting ahead of myself...I was told that my degree pursuit was key for them....??????????????? Its crazy...so many different ppl say so many different things...

Comment

Originally posted by MSM2011 View Post
                              I have already been contacted SPECIFICALY by four different agencies in Maryland who are Interested in my empolyment.
                              I'll call this one fellas.... BULLSHI*T!

sorry MSM, but that's the truth. I find it hard to believe that you're being "recruited." This isn't D1 football...it's police work.
                              http://youtube.com/watch?v=O5M-KdU4Uuo

^Baltimore's Fallen Heroes^

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5216 users online. 290 members and 4926 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X