X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZachE84
    replied
    Originally posted by Name Taken View Post
    Baltimore County being "short" on members is more behind the scence so to speak then actually being down on members.

For instance there are several (probably every) precinct that has members assigned to other units. They are officially still assigned to the precinct so when the command staff looks at staffing numbers it's a bit skewed.

I assume this is different from the city where they are actually menus "bodies".

Last I heard we were about as full on manpower as we have ever been in recent years. It's more complicated then A+B=C
    Thanks for the explanation. Being fully staffed is a good thing from a LE perspective but bad from a recruits perspective.

Leave a comment:

• Name Taken
    replied
    Baltimore County being "short" on members is more behind the scence so to speak then actually being down on members.

For instance there are several (probably every) precinct that has members assigned to other units. They are officially still assigned to the precinct so when the command staff looks at staffing numbers it's a bit skewed.

I assume this is different from the city where they are actually menus "bodies".

Last I heard we were about as full on manpower as we have ever been in recent years. It's more complicated then A+B=C

Leave a comment:

• ZachE84
    replied
    Good to hear. I had my ride along 3 months ago and it was awesome. I plan on doing another one soon. Whats weird is there next academy is going to be 80% cadets. On my ride along the officers kept talking about how many officers short they were at their district. In fact my ride along was with an officer doing his shift outside his beat (northern vs southern) and he was lost, lol.

I really don't want to go to another agency (even though I'm applying to a few) but I also don't want to wait another 1.5 years

Leave a comment:

• AREL11
    replied
    Yes. It's a great agency. I wouldn't go anywhere else. It has its ups and downs but overall it's solid. Take a ride a long somewhere and see for yourself. By and large, you'll find a great group of cops with good morale.

Leave a comment:

• Duke003
    replied
    Overall is BCPD a good place to work?

Leave a comment:

• Name Taken
    replied
    Originally posted by ZachE84 View Post
    If only I knew what those things were...lol.
    All you need to know is they are just about unattainable for atleast the first 5 years....

Leave a comment:

• ZachE84
    replied
    If only I knew what those things were...lol.

Leave a comment:

• AREL11
    replied
    CAT, SRO, or BPI...Must be nice.

None the less it's a cost issue. When you have 1900 officers and are trying to find a car for them all to take home is not easy. Even if you open it up to patrol only that's a ton of vehicles.

There are days where you basically have to prowl around looking for a car to use on patrol. Now if a take home program was implemented there wouldnt be any on the lot and you'd be force to try and track someone down who lives close to use their vehicle (happens with MSP at times).

Not to mention you do have some libility/OT issues. Say you are off duty and driving and see something. You now have to make a police move and go "on the clock". Insurance isnt a big deal as all the vehicles are "self insured" to begin with. Keeping track of miles can be a bit of an issue also.

The counter arguement is if something does happen you have more police in the area. The cars are likely to get taken care of a bit more since it's "yours". It will keep the officers happy.

Want a take home in Baltimore County? Find a position with the detectives were you are always on call, get promoted and supervisor one of those units, or make Captain or higher. There is always the 4 week tac program if you want to try and make that.
    Good call, I'm in one of those three.. luckily. I always hated sharing a car!

Leave a comment:

• OnTheFence82
    replied

None the less it's a cost issue. When you have 1900 officers and are trying to find a car for them all to take home is not easy. Even if you open it up to patrol only that's a ton of vehicles.

There are days where you basically have to prowl around looking for a car to use on patrol. Now if a take home program was implemented there wouldnt be any on the lot and you'd be force to try and track someone down who lives close to use their vehicle (happens with MSP at times).

Not to mention you do have some libility/OT issues. Say you are off duty and driving and see something. You now have to make a police move and go "on the clock". Insurance isnt a big deal as all the vehicles are "self insured" to begin with. Keeping track of miles can be a bit of an issue also.

The counter arguement is if something does happen you have more police in the area. The cars are likely to get taken care of a bit more since it's "yours". It will keep the officers happy.

Want a take home in Baltimore County? Find a position with the detectives were you are always on call, get promoted and supervisor one of those units, or make Captain or higher. There is always the 4 week tac program if you want to try and make that.
    This may sound cheesy, but being a Bmore County resident, I would like to do my part (at least it looks appealing while I'm a civilian not in the "know"). I know this wasn't directed to me, just a thought.

Leave a comment:

• Name Taken
    replied
    Originally posted by AREL11 View Post
    If you really want a take home car, don't even apply to Baltimore County. We are NEVER going to get them. I have made peace with that. I have an assigned car that no one else drives. That is as close as it's going to get!

Leave a comment:

• ZachE84
    replied
    May I ask why? Liability issue?

I'm not even sure it's a "perk". Has anyone had the policy that can perhaps explain it's benefits?

The only thing I know is Balt County and Howard County have the same pay and benefits. The only difference is Howard has take home cars, so they are my first choice

Leave a comment:

• AREL11
    replied
    If you really want a take home car, don't even apply to Baltimore County. We are NEVER going to get them. I have made peace with that. I have an assigned car that no one else drives. That is as close as it's going to get!

Leave a comment:

• jchughes05
    replied
    I'm only not applying because Bmore Co PD doesnt take laterals.

Leave a comment:

• ZachE84
    replied
    Good point - thanks for the tip. The bureaucracy of the Police Department is something I am not familiar with.

Leave a comment:

• Name Taken
    replied
    Originally posted by ZachE84 View Post
    I think their next exam is on November 15th. I have a ride along planned for early October. I am looking at other agencies only because Balt County doesn't have a take home car policy

If anyone wants to work on PT I'm from Perry Hall/White Marsh - shoot me a PM!
    I wouldnt put a ton of faith in that decision as that kind of stuff is bound to change here once contracts come up for talks again.

That kind of stuff is a "bonus" which can easily be taken away. I wouldnt make a career decision based off of it.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3500 users online. 205 members and 3295 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X