300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baltimore County Police

Anybody on here with this department or trying to get in to this department? I have decided the career path I want to take is an LEO after I got out of the Marine Corp. I am doing a lot of research now on different departments and where I want to end up at.

Thanks
    Cody

What would you like to know about this agency?

If you search this forum for the local agencies many of the question's you'll have are already answered.

Comment

I was just looking for people in that county. I looked in the Maryland area on here and didnt see much about Baltimore County. I use to live in Baltimore County before I joined the Marine Corp. It always seemed like the department there was a good bunch of guys.

One thing I was trying to figure out off of there web site was, when you go to the academy do they start you out in the low 20k for pay, or do you start out in the high 40k for pay. I like to research everything before I just jump in, and with the way everything is rising now, i like to know how the money area will look starting out.

thank you

Comment

Starting salary is around $45k for a police officer. The low $20k number is for cadets.

Comment

so 45 is what you make when you start the training. thank you AREL

Comment

Yes, that's correct.

Comment

Do they take into account where a new officer lives when assigning them? For instance, I live in one of the busier parts of bmore county and wouldn't mind working here but I wouldn't want to work where I live.

Comment

When I very first looked into the Baltimore County Police, I spoke to a recruiter and they told me that they are actually pro not living in where you work. Dont play in your own backyard is actually what I think they said. Because I live in PA, thats why I called to ask. The person I spoke to said a lot of there officers live in PA

Comment

Originally posted by OnTheFence82 View Post
                  Do they take into account where a new officer lives when assigning them? For instance, I live in one of the busier parts of bmore county and wouldn't mind working here but I wouldn't want to work where I live.
                  They will not assign you where you live right out of the academy. If at a later time you decide to transfer to where you live that's on you.

If you ask me it's not worth the extra risk of running into Johnny Dirtball or Mr. Dirtball's son ending up on your sons soccer team. Extra headache not needed.

Baltimore County is rather large and there are plenty of busy places if that is what you want. From the east side to the west side of the county and inbetween can have some hetic moments.

Spend the extra money on gas and drive atleast over to the next precinct.

Comment

hey name taken. Do you know if for me or the guys being from PA they try to put them in the northern districts? Like the reisterstown area, towson, timionium etc etc?

Comment

You cannot be assigned to work the precinct you live in unless you are off probation (2 years). There is marginal consideration for persons living in PA but it's certainly not a guarantee. You get to "choose" three precincts that you wish to go to. Class ranking and need for officers based on current vacancies and pending transfers all plays into it. Be prepared to go where they put you.

Comment

Thanks Arel, being in the Marine corp, not getting to go where I want is not out of the norm for me. I was just wondering. I am going to fill out the online application... if i read right that is all i need to do, and then set up a test time at one of the locations?

Comment

My buddy graduated a few years back and I went to the ceremony. It seemed then that probably 90% of the class went to either precincts 1,2,11, or 12. The other precincts seemed to get one or two of the rookies. These are some of the higher crimes areas of the county so I'm assuming that's where most people are still going.

Comment

Originally posted by Saharicon View Post
                            hey name taken. Do you know if for me or the guys being from PA they try to put them in the northern districts? Like the reisterstown area, towson, timionium etc etc?
                            MOST of the ones I know that live in PA usually end up on the "northern west side" or atleast the "west side" of the county. Depending on where you live Franklin, Pikesville, Cockeysville, Towson and even Woodlawn are fairly close to the 83's/Rt.30/Rt.140 drive down to Maryland.

But like said early it will depend on where you graduate in the class and the needs of the agency. The odds of you not getting on of those 5 I listed are fairly slim.

Worst case is you drive an extra 15 mins to work for a year and a half and you request a transfer to somewhere closer.

Comment

Originally posted by Name Taken View Post
                              They will not assign you where you live right out of the academy. If at a later time you decide to transfer to where you live that's on you.

If you ask me it's not worth the extra risk of running into Johnny Dirtball or Mr. Dirtball's son ending up on your sons soccer team. Extra headache not needed.

Baltimore County is rather large and there are plenty of busy places if that is what you want. From the east side to the west side of the county and inbetween can have some hetic moments.

Spend the extra money on gas and drive atleast over to the next precinct.
                              Works for me, I like the Woodlawn area and wouldn't mind working it just not while I'm living in it. I actually thought very heavily at applying but the "work where you play" aspect had me second guessing. (A take-home would be nice, but as a civi tired of working in Corp Am, I'm in no way shape or form 'choosey')

Saharicon: for what it's worth I see a lot of POV's with PA tags and BaCo uniforms in the back window when I drive around the Pikesville area. They'll never say but I suspect they have a busing program for PA residents

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4703 users online. 304 members and 4399 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X