300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PG County Police

I am thinking about applying to PG county, can anyone tell me about what there carry weapon is, overtime, shift work (8,10,12), and how are promotion's?

Thank you.

The new recruits are being issued the Beretta 40. The rest of the department is still in transition phase from the Beretta 9. The only overtime right now is court time. The overtime comes and goes depending on the budget. There is a lot of part time out there after you get off probation. The academy is between 7 and 8 months long, usually. The shifts are 10 hours except for mids which is 8. You work 1 month of 4 days on and 4 days off. The next month you work 5 days on and 3 days off, one of the work days is an overlap day (special assignments etc.). You work midnights for a month every fifth month. They are 5 days on and 2 days off. Your days off are determined by your supervisor. You can test for PFC after 3 years and test for corporal after you've had PFC for 2 years. Those tests are pass/fail(70%). You get issued a cruiser (if available) after your FTO period and can use it while in county. Retirement is 60% at 20 years and you can max out with 85%. Hope this helps answers most of your questions.
    Some people are like Slinkies...Not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Comment

Thank You Mike.

Comment

PG, IMO, is a great dept., which from that i hear, backs their officers 100%.

Comment

Originally posted by jvegas View Post
          PG, IMO, is a great dept., which from that i hear, backs their officers 100%.
          That they do. Good friend of mine been with them for 11 years. We went into the academies at the same time, him PG, me DC. Sometimes Ill ride around with him and see clowns that do dirt in DC and vice versa. Good dept, and they get exp very fast in a short amount of time.

Comment

Originally posted by jvegas View Post
            ... backs their officers 100%.

Comment

Great
              Dept. Yes,,, BUT,,, they just furhloughed several hundred employees including cops .,,,, 2 weeks without pay.. from what the news is saying,, thats got to hurt.. any PG officers care to weigh in on this ?

Comment

That really sucks!!!!

Comment

hey new to the forums but on to the topic at hand. the furlough is being done to all county employees including public safety. What they are probably going to do is 8 hours every few pay periods for everybody. Even the academy is getting furloughed from what we hear right now. So that would mean that with the new academy schedule of working monday thru thursday every few weeks you would get a 4 day weekend. As for the street guys its all probably going to vary depending on shifts and what not. When I drove by the county admin building the other day there were about 50 or so county employees protesting but it prolly won't help much despite thier efforts.

Oh and the weapon that the officers are now getting is the Beretta PX 4 Storm. Some still have the 9s though they are in transition.

Comment

Originally posted by IBTP711 View Post
                    hey new to the forums but on to the topic at hand. the furlough is being done to all county employees including public safety. ....

All county employees? Negative.

Jack Johnson is taking a furlough, too? He could have saved us all money and not made a trip with his groupies to the Bejing Olympics. PG is much better off now he enjoyed the Olympics first hand.

And of all the things this county needs in light of the cop killing, drug dealing, random murdering, raping, thieving, corrupt filth we give up our first lines of defense? Fantastic idea. Furlough the parking authority.

This is an attack by the county against those furloughed BECAUSE they HAD to honor a contract agreement.

I vote then the 2wks furlough start Christmas/New Years time. Think of how much money the county will save. Oh and while you're counting your wad of cash think of all the B&Es, rapes, murders, drunk drivers, accidents/fatalities, theft from autos, purse snatching, domestic disputes turned violent.........

Isn't this the same county with the same County Exec. dancing with a sign (and were also placed throughout the county contrary to county code) exclaiming AAA Bond Rating!? Same guy who wanted to borrow against the police pension fund? AAA Bond rating but where's the county's financial credibility?

PG is 100% behind their officers? Hmmmm.

Comment

There is validity to all of your comments, I was just saying that what I heard that the furlough was going to be extended to all county employees even Jack Johnson. But the agency from what I have seen back its officers all the way that is one of the main reasons I like this agency. On a street level if you throw out a officer in trouble the whole county force comes running and thats what I like. the backups are always there whether you call for them or not. So unless you choose not to follow the GOs then this agency backs its officers all the way. As for the county backing the officers there are some out there who say they dont.

Comment

I don't totally understand this furlough concept. Can someone explain to me or link me to a story explaining the budget situation?

Comment

hey, dont kill the messenger. i was stating what i have heard from officers with PGPD. my comment had nothing to do with the county backing the off's, but with the brass of the dept. backing same.

Comment

Originally posted by JDougal View Post
                            I don't totally understand this furlough concept. Can someone explain to me or link me to a story explaining the budget situation?
                            www.fop89.org

go to "news" they have it written better than I could, and with out all of the profanity that I would include.
                            Last edited by L223; 09-20-2008, 01:11 AM.

Comment

Not to change the subject, what newspaper can be found in PG County? I was just searching to see if some guys were found after they committed a crime, very press worthy I would think, in District 3, when I was on my ride-a-long and I can't find anything.
                              "Sometimes you have to be able choose the harder right over the easier wrong" ~~ Dr. M.H

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." ~~ Edmund Burke

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4901 users online. 273 members and 4628 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X