300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concealed carry permit in MD

I am a DC officer, who is looking to carry a personal weapon off duty while in Maryland and I am looking for some guidance. I looked at the forms on MSP's website and was hoping somebody on here has been through the process and will give me some tips. I know alot of people will try to cite H.R.218 saying I do not need a carrying permit, but I want to have all my ducks in a row in case I have an incident.

When reviewing the application it has boxes for corrections, private security, and retired leos. But nothing about out of state officers. It also says you need to prove previous threats with police reports. Is there a way I can go through the process without having previous threats against me?

Thanks
    Last edited by BatistaZ28; 09-04-2008, 02:02 AM. Reason: New thoughts

Man good luck. CCW permit in maryland takes an act of congress.
    Don't tase me bro!!

Comment

Who's going to apprehend a fellow LEO for carrying concealed? Would you do it?

Comment

I thought the LEOSA covers an LEO for carrying concealed w/o a permit off duty? Or is that just in their jurisdiction/state?

Comment

Being in DC can be a bit tricky. Are you a federal police officer or a DC police officer?

If you are a full time police officer with arrest powers who usually in their course of duty is required to carry a firearm HR 218 should cover you as long as your department/agency allows you to carry off duty. Plain and simple. I know there is a thread going on in here which might have you worried but there are several issues in that particule case like drinking that more then likely voided his HR 218 rights.

If you have any doubt's I'd contact your departments legal section and firearms training section regarding the bill. If your legal section says you are okay then just ask for some kind of paper in writing regarding the departments policy.

There is NOTHING that is going to say if you have a shooting that you might not be charged with some kind of weapon's violation. It's obviously when it goes to court you shouldnt be CONVICTED of the crime.

As far as getting a MD CCW good luck. You either have to be a victim of stalking type of cases (and have it documented), Carry large amount of money (own your own business), retired LEO, or "Special Police" to get on. MD does not have an option for OJ police to get their CCW from what I've seen....probaly because they figure it's covered under HR 218.

Comment

Let me tell you what MSP told myself and other officers I work with (this was before LEOSA and our agency was picky about carrying on our creds). "Because you are a police officer, we will not give you a permit. You do not need one in MD". And now that LEOSA is enacted, I am sure they haven't changed their position on it. Many states won't issue permits to police officers (PA, MD, & FL are all the ones I have checked with).
            Dispatch, we have a 9-11, Armed Robbery in progress. Seay's Surplus Store, corner People's Drive and 124th Street.

Comment

Yeah I tried to get one as an Officer and they would not give me one I didnt need it. I wanted it because I was leaving one job and going to another and there was a few weeks between jobs I still wanted to carry. I was told I had to wait until I quit to apply but I didnt see the point the process takes longer then I was going to be between jobs so I never did it.
              Democracy is worth dying for, because it's the most deeply honorable form of government ever devised by man.
              -Ronald Reagan

Heroes may not be braver than anyone else. They're just braver five minutes longer.
              -Ronald Reagan

Big Mak Attack AKA Big Mac Attack

Comment

Originally posted by big mak attack View Post
                Yeah I tried to get one as an Officer and they would not give me one I didnt need it. I wanted it because I was leaving one job and going to another and there was a few weeks between jobs I still wanted to carry. I was told I had to wait until I quit to apply but I didnt see the point the process takes longer then I was going to be between jobs so I never did it.
                Have a buddy who quit the force and applied for one. Yea, he was turned down
                Dispatch, we have a 9-11, Armed Robbery in progress. Seay's Surplus Store, corner People's Drive and 124th Street.

Comment

I'm surprised to read what I'm reading because several Officers that I work with have stated how they got their MD CCW because they were Law Enforcement. They said they took their badge and credentials to MSP, payed the fee and got approved for their permit. I haven't tried it yet but plan on doing it sometime but like I said, several Officers from my department have stated that.

As far as PA goes I'm not really sure, but I was under the impression it was fairly easy to get it there but for Florida, what do you mean that they don't give it to Police Officers? It's a Shall issue state. As long as you meet the requirements, which as an Officer you should meet those requirements, you get a permit. Florida is known for it's ease of getting a CCW. I know when I lived in Michigan and before they became a Shall Issue state years ago, a lot of people got their CCW from Florida because Michigan recipricated with them and it was so easy to get from FLA.

Anyways, if anyone else has experience on getting their MD permit I would definitely be interested in hearing because like I said, I planned on getting a CCW here for that extra coverage.

Comment

Originally posted by MiGuy View Post
                    As far as PA goes I'm not really sure, but I was under the impression it was fairly easy to get it there but for Florida, what do you mean that they don't give it to Police Officers? It's a Shall issue state. As long as you meet the requirements, which as an Officer you should meet those requirements, you get a permit. Florida is known for it's ease of getting a CCW. I know when I lived in Michigan and before they became a Shall Issue state years ago, a lot of people got their CCW from Florida because Michigan recipricated with them and it was so easy to get from FLA.
                    PA is a shall issue state as well and I know they are supposed to approve it if you meet the requirements, but they don't...

Comment

Well I am a MD LEO and I can tell you that D.C. and ANY other full time, part time, sworn police/deputy/agent ect that is the police and carrys departmental creds is WELCOME to carry in Maryland.
                      The greatest misconception in police work that gets more officers killed is alot of cops are still taught to use the "minimum force necessary". In reality a true professional will always resort to the "Maximum Allowable Force" to resolve a situation. They mean the same thing, however one is a restriction and the other is an empowerment.

Comment

Originally posted by TazedYaBro View Post
                        Well I am a MD LEO and I can tell you that D.C. and ANY other full time, part time, sworn police/deputy/agent ect that is the police and carrys departmental creds is WELCOME to carry in Maryland.
                        I believe his point is not with other officer's raising some kind of fuss. I believe his point is if he has to make use of his right to carry and some ASA down the road question's his right to have the weapon on him.

Comment

The LEOSA permits you to carry off duty. However, if you want to carry your own personal weapon, having the extra line of protection (A CCW) is not a bad idea. LEOSA is open to interpretation, and will be broken down into legalize (not how its intended, but if you end up shooting someone, it could very well come to that).

I can't give you advice on the situation other then inquire MSP about it.

Getting a CCW as a average citizen is a PITA, but I know a lot of my co workers (corrections) have them. From everyone I have talked to, they have never been denied a permit when they applied with everything MSP asked for.

Comment

Before I was police I worked in corrections and I had a CCW permit for years. It was a piece of cake to get. Maybe times have changed..

Comment

Originally posted by BatistaZ28 View Post
                              I am a DC officer, who is looking to carry a personal weapon off duty while in Maryland and I am looking for some guidance. I looked at the forms on MSP's website and was hoping somebody on here has been through the process and will give me some tips. I know alot of people will try to cite H.R.218 saying I do not need a carrying permit, but I want to have all my ducks in a row in case I have an incident.
                              Quick question. Are you MPD? Because if you are, you can ONLY carry what the dept authorizes off duty...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2997 users online. 163 members and 2834 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X