300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSP strongly considering hiring laterals

When speaking with a few Troopers today, they mentioned that Col. Sheridan is strongly considering hiring laterals. The latest plan is to consider certified MD LEO's with 3 or more years of service at their present full-service department. They will be brought in at the TFC level. No word on what type of comparative compliance will be required. Also, my source did not have a specific timetable, although he mentioned within the next two years.

They main reason given why MSP is strongly considering this is the amount of personnel shortages facing the department and projected personnel shortages (mainly due to retirements) within the next few years. Apparently, the hiring process will be equally selective (only 4% of applicants are hired) as non-LEO recruits, with the only difference being lateral hires will not have to attend the 6 month academy.

Also mentioned was that the Colonel does not want to hire another agencies problem officer, alluding to the fact that the possible lateral class selection pool will be narrowed down to the most squared away applicants.

hmmm

As a current officer for DC I am currently looking at MSP, a few things holding me back are the pay, schedule, and being stationed in western md or dc metro area. I am not sure which way to lean on the lateral/compartive compliance idea..at one end it is good, less time in the academy, getting on the road faster making OT, and actually learning the job. But at the same time you are missing out on the whole trooper academy experience.

Comment

I believe Alabama allows laterals. They still have to attend an abbreviated lateral trooper academy.
      What is Perseverance?
      -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
      -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
      -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

DC would mean you would more then likely would have to attend the full academy.

If he does allow this I'd guess you'd have to be MPTC certified and he would not accept out of state laterals.

I'd be really surprised if he does this considering his stance on the matter at BCOPD.

I'd be REALLY REALLY interested in getting an application in if somehow the time counts as "status" time and not "retirement" time. Meaning I'm on with 3 years status rather then just adding 3 years at the end of my tenure. Also I'd have to have a good chance of getting the barrick I want.

As for the pay it is what you make. A take home car saves you several thousand dollars a year. If you are doing your job you will have court time. Money is always there if you are willing to get it.

Comment

If and that is a strong if this ever happened I seriously doubt anyone would be brought in at the rank of TFC. You have former police officers with tons of experience that are still Troopers. We have a retired Balt. Co. Officer who just came out a few classes back and is still a slick sleeve. I don't know of any large departments in the area that allow you to lateral in at a specific rank. I seriously doubt it would happen period but I doubt even more that if it did happen that laterals wouldn't have to attend any portion of the academy. I also feel sorry for whoever would lateral over, especially in the first few years, because you would definitely be treated like a black sheep.

I foresee MSP giving up responsibilities (not authority) to other agencies before sacrificing its tradition and history. Just my belief based on my knowledge and observations of the agency.

Lastly, I have not heard of any such plan regarding laterals and I just had lunch with the commander of recruiting last week.
          Last edited by Stare; 08-26-2008, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Agreed...but much like Carroll County is going to find out...if you dont make it worth their while they arent going to jump ship.

Comment

Originally posted by Stare View Post
              If and that is a strong if this ever happened I seriously doubt anyone would be brought in at the rank of TFC. You have former police officers with tons of experience that are still Troopers. We have a retired Balt. Co. Officer who just came out a few classes back and is still a slick sleeve. I don't know of any large departments in the area that allow you to lateral in at a specific rank. I seriously doubt it would happen period but I doubt even more that if it did happen that laterals wouldn't have to attend any portion of the academy. I also feel sorry for whoever would lateral over, especially in the first few years, because you would definitely be treated like a black sheep.

I foresee MSP giving up responsibilities (not authority) to other agencies before sacrificing its tradition and history. Just my belief based on my knowledge and observations of the agency.

Lastly, I have not heard of any such plan regarding laterals and I just had lunch with the commander of recruiting last week.

This is exactly why a lot of cops think troopers are adam henrys. Not you personally, but the elitist attitude in general.

Comment

Originally posted by AREL11 View Post
                This is exactly why a lot of cops think troopers are adam henrys. Not you personally, but the elitist attitude in general.
                I am only stating how I feel most current troops are going to react if such a thing did occur. Don't generalize all members of the agency with having the same view but I guarantee, at least from my experience with the agency, that it is the general consensus among the troops.

Also I don't personally care one way or the other but my perception of the issue when people have spoke about it in the past is that it has nothing to do with any "elitist attitude" but tradition, which if you are not familiar with MSP is extremely head strong on. I worked for a county pd before MSP and I can tell you that tradition meant very little there. Not saying one is better than the other but MSP is hard strong on tradition. There are plus and minuses to each.

I bet that the issue regarding laterals is perceived the same in many other agencies. I don’t know when Balt. Co first accepted laterals but I am pretty sure it wasn't accepted with open arms among the troops. The academy weeds out the weak and Balt Co. among several other agencies have a tough academy. On the other hand there are academies in MD. that are around 14-16 weeks, at least up until the last few years, that don't do practically any pt except for the required Coopers tests. I don't want someone who skated by some of those unnamed academies who went to work for some of those unnamed departments to lateral over and be my sole backup. That’s my only hype with the issue. Interprete that as “elitist” or not but I enjoyed when I was in the academy watching people walk out and quit because I knew that I rather them quit now when its tough then quit on me when I need them on the road where it is tougher.
                Last edited by Stare; 08-27-2008, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Hey Stare,

Really, that wasn't an attack on you or Troopers in general. It was just an observation that I've seen over the last 11 years in the business. In fact, I've only had a handful of "issues" in that time and most of them were off duty. I don't care if we take laterals or not, nor do I care if you guys take laterals. I'm not taking a pay cut to get a big brown hat!! I don't want to speak for anyone else in my agency, but I will tell you that no one I know has ever shunned a lateral. As long as you're willing to show up and have my back, I don't care where you were trained. All the other crap can be worked out later. I also enjoyed watching people walk out of my academy class. Started with 64.. graduated 48. Anyhow, this wasn't meant to start a war, I just didn't like the whole black sheep part of it. Take care and be safe.. (on your traffic stop)

Comment

Originally posted by kylandrake
                    I heard MSP Academy is at the #4 or 5 slot now when it comes to best Academies. And that Baltimore County is #1 in the list. Anyone know more about this?
                    All academies should be considered the best since they all enhance the professional skills of their law enforcement officers.

In keeping with some undertones in this thread, everybody knows who are the varsity

Comment

I heard MSP Academy is at the #4 or 5 slot now when it comes to best Academies. And that Baltimore County is #1 in the list. Anyone know more about this?
                      Baltimore County is the "hot pick" right now because they have so many starters coming back. But it is only preseason, and Baltimore County has to play Howard and Anne Arundel County on the road...so I think it will change by seasons end.
                      GO CAVS!!

Comment

Originally posted by B-More Dawg View Post
                        Baltimore County is the "hot pick" right now because they have so many starters coming back. But it is only preseason, and Baltimore County has to play Howard and Anne Arundel County on the road...so I think it will change by seasons end.
                        Dispatch, we have a 9-11, Armed Robbery in progress. Seay's Surplus Store, corner People's Drive and 124th Street.

Comment

If we are not restricting ourselves to the US I think RCMP is one of the most squared away academies I have ever visited and should rank near the #1 spot.

Comment

I'd do RCMP if I was Canadian.
                            The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
                            that we are all that stands between
                            the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Up_On_Base
                              Is there a standard light package for MSP? Every Troop car has different packages, I guess they are newer models.
                              retro fitted
                              Dispatch, we have a 9-11, Armed Robbery in progress. Seay's Surplus Store, corner People's Drive and 124th Street.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4822 users online. 283 members and 4539 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X