NEW Welcome Ad

Collapse

Leader

Collapse

Prohibition on stopping traffic to hand out safety info?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RR_Security
    Student of Gerbil Voodoo
    • Sep 2006

Prohibition on stopping traffic to hand out safety info?

I've heard a couple of times that it would be a violation of Maine law for a safety-education organization to stop vehicles on a public way and distribute informational flyers, rewards for drivers who were complying with whatever the organization was advocating, etc. I know about Title 29-A, Sec. 2109, but I don't think it applies. (Just this morning, my local fire dept. was doing a "fill the boot" campaign on a 30 MPH section of a state highway, and I gave a buck to each of the cheerful young people who were out on front of the fire station. They were wearing turnout coats or other high-visibility gear, and I'm sure the traffic safety people would have fluorescent orange or yellow vests on, too.)

The safety advocates wouldn't be soliciting funds, so unless there's another statute that I overlooked, I think somebody is misreading Sec. 2109. I haven't been able to find the text of the former Title 29, §2187 ("Stopping of traffic by hawkers and vendors forbidden"), which I think was repealed in 1993. Maybe somebody's thinking of that one.

If there's something I'm missing, please clue me in.
    --
    Capital Punishment means never having to say "you again?"

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12253 users online. 75 members and 12178 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...