300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NOPD Past Drug Usage DQs

Was wondering if anyone knows why NOPD is so hard on one's past drug usage as far as an automatic DQ? I tried some things experimentally, but it has been over 20 years ago. The recruiting office and web site stated only marijuana...ever. When I was speaking w/recruiting they also told me that if I was really interested that I did not have to disclose it all. I said that that would be an integrity issue, and it would most assuredly be asked on a polygraph. Anyway, just wondered why they are so strict. It would seem that they would lose a lot of quality applicants who may have tried things as a kid but were regretful for it. I truly wanted to give NOPD a go.

Anyone at all?

Comment

why dont you PM other former NOLA cops.....
      sigpicMy statements do not represent my agency.

Comment

NOPD is such a mess that it has completely lost all it's credibility with the public. Hurrican Katrina brought out the worst of the worst. Cops looting right along side the bad guys, going AWOL, Deserting, shooting at everything that moved. They violated everyones civil right when they went into law abiding civilians homes and confiscated their guns, when it was their only means of protection. Oh yeah, they have a credibility issue all right. Just a week ago, a female cop decides she's above the law and waves her pistol in the face of a female citizen just because she didn't like the way she was parked, and the responding officer didn't do a darn thing about it. Their Chief (Wiley Riley) is a mess. He can't spell law enforcement, much less lead people charged with enforcing it.
        So now after all the mess, they've got a public relations diaster that they are trying to clean up. They have to set their standards higher, and quite frankly they aren't there yet. You really don't want to be part of the most corrupt law enforcement agency in the state. I strongly recommend you stay away until they can get their act together. It's probably going to take them a minimum of 8 years and probably more like 10 to regain some sense of respect.

Comment

Originally posted by blackhorse View Post
          NOPD is such a mess that it has completely lost all it's credibility with the public. Hurrican Katrina brought out the worst of the worst. Cops looting right along side the bad guys, going AWOL, Deserting, shooting at everything that moved. They violated everyones civil right when they went into law abiding civilians homes and confiscated their guns, when it was their only means of protection. Oh yeah, they have a credibility issue all right. Just a week ago, a female cop decides she's above the law and waves her pistol in the face of a female citizen just because she didn't like the way she was parked, and the responding officer didn't do a darn thing about it. Their Chief (Wiley Riley) is a mess. He can't spell law enforcement, much less lead people charged with enforcing it.
          So now after all the mess, they've got a public relations diaster that they are trying to clean up. They have to set their standards higher, and quite frankly they aren't there yet. You really don't want to be part of the most corrupt law enforcement agency in the state. I strongly recommend you stay away until they can get their act together. It's probably going to take them a minimum of 8 years and probably more like 10 to regain some sense of respect.
          10-4 + 1 And, lets not forget the NOPD officer who drove at 90 + MPH over the river bridge and then refused to stop for bridge police and then when he did stop basically told the bridge police officers he was NOPD and he was late for work (Duhhh, his fault) and then left the scene striking one of the Bridge police officers with the mirror of his vehicle. He was ultimately fired, but, he should have been skull drug to jail immediately, NOPD,, no thanks.
          law dog

Comment

They have 2 former (retired) NOPD cops that just joined us......you got to hear the stuff they said about NOPD...

BlackHorse, PM me if you dont know them....they were in the newhire class with me....
            sigpicMy statements do not represent my agency.

Comment

+2 - stay away from that mess.

Comment

Wow Wow Wow

Comment

NOPD is such a mess that it has completely lost all it's credibility with the public. Hurrican Katrina brought out the worst of the worst. Cops looting right along side the bad guys, going AWOL, Deserting, shooting at everything that moved.....
                  Correct, you're talkin about an agency that had cops working extra-duty watching a drug warehouse. I was blown away when Nagin got re-elected, there's no light at the end of the tunnel.

Comment

I had a friend get DQ'd for revealing he wasn't sure if what he took four years ago was a prescription pain killer or just a Tylenol, he could't remember, but it was questionable. He was giving full disclosure (complete honesty). NOPD informed him he was DQ'd on the spot. He would make a great cop, guess he will try another agency.

Comment

NOPD = NO PD! Stay away, go with one of the Parishes.

Comment

What's the word on OPCSO?

Comment

Not sure why you dug up a year old thread to ask this.

Orleans Parish Criminal Sheriffs Office handles the jail, that is all. They don't patrol or do anything else, except the jail if I remember correctly.
                          In Memory of A Fallen Hero

Comment

I live in the South East and I have been looking into different areas. It was just interesting how people talk about NOPD. Even within the dept. Miami Dade is pretty bad about it, too. Jefferson Parish seems like an awesome place to work. Ya'll seem like you enjoy your job.

Comment

Originally posted by JPSO Recruit View Post
                              Not sure why you dug up a year old thread to ask this.

Orleans Parish Criminal Sheriffs Office handles the jail, that is all. They don't patrol or do anything else, except the jail if I remember correctly.
                              Since Katrina, they have been patrolling per say and making arrests.
                              "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8373 users online. 384 members and 7989 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X