Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leaving leo

Well guys,

Im being retired at the rate of didly when I leave so yeah im getting screwed because of louisiana law I was told this today. My advice to anyone wanting to be a police officer here make sure you dont get shot or sustain a major injury you live from unless you have put in 10 years first. I hope for the best but expect the worst
    ‎"I'm angry. It's okay. I'll process my anger. I love myself. Whoosah.

Originally posted by pyxie View Post
    Well guys,

Im being retired at the rate of didly when I leave so yeah im getting screwed because of louisiana law I was told this today. My advice to anyone wanting to be a police officer here make sure you dont get shot or sustain a major injury you live from unless you have put in 10 years first. I hope for the best but expect the worst
    First and foremost:

Pyxie,
    Absolutely disgusting. I can't imagine what you are going through...after hearing the news today. Anger,sadness, and disbelief. Our thoughts are with you. However it works out, take care of yourself and your little one. You are a trooper and I would work side by side with you anyday!

Your sistahs, Depx2

Regarding the thread:

What Lousiana law was that?

It should be 50% tax free, medical for life. It's shouldn't matter 1 day or 10 years! Did you get a workman's comp lawyer???

I thought you were cleared for duty? They wouldn't let you complete fto and sent you to the det office? What happened? That is BS!

This makes my blood boil! I'd own the county, some way/some how. Instead of Lafourche Parish Sheriff's it would be Lil Pyxie's Sheriff's Office. Nice way of thanking you for your service.
    Last edited by deputy x 2; 03-31-2008, 08:36 PM.
    This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

For those who don't know the story:

"Rap Sheet" straight from the Lafourche Parrish Sheriff's Office. 1/2007

Just before Christmas this past year, Deputies Roland Guilliot and Bridget
      Rupe with the Lafourche Parish Sheriff's Office sustained injuries while
      answering a call about a stolen vehicle. Today they are back at work…Guilliot
      full time and Rupe (Boudreaux) is parttime.

On December 5, 2006, at 6:30 am, Deputies Guilliot (age 41) and Rupe
      (age 23) responded to a call that a blue pick up truck had been stolen from a
      local convenience store in Thibodaux, La. Deputy Guilliot observed the vehicle
      soon after the call and conducted a felony stop. He instructed the driver to
      get out and step to the back of his truck.

As he was putting handcuffs on the subject, while being covered by his fellow officer trainee, Deputy Bridget Rupe, another vehicle came up alongside the other stopped vehicle. The driver fired a shotgun blast into the back of Deputy Guilliot. Another shot was fired, hitting Deputy Rupe in the left arm. Both deputies returned fire and took cover as the arrested suspect jumped in the second vehicle and sped away.

Other officers responded to the shooting and both injured deputies were airlifted to Thibodaux Regional Medical Center. Wearing a protective vest saved Deputy Guilliot's life. He sustained injuries to his back and was treated in the hospital for a couple of days and released. He has since returned to
      active duty. Deputy Guillot is married and has six children.

Deputy Rupe, who was shot in the left arm with a slug from a 20 gauge shotgun underwent eight hours of surgery to restore blood flow to her lower arm. She has had two other surgeries since the incident but is now back at work on light duty. At the time of the incident Deputy Rupe was a single mother of a three year old daughter and had just been out of the Academy a couple of months. She has since gotten married.

Deputies Guilliot and Rupe are dedicated officers who exemplify what it takes to wear a badge to serve and protect the public. They are very deserving of our admiration and respect. We've learned a lot from these officers and are proud they are on our team.

the incident and pictures
      http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63063

the transfer

http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77589
      Last edited by deputy x 2; 03-31-2008, 08:28 PM.
      This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Im just slightly irritated by whats going on heres the law Im smiling at. For me its equals 10,000 a year

Disability Benefit Computation [R.S. 11:2178B]
        The disability benefit for total disability from gainful employment will be the lesser of (1) or (2) as follows:
        (1) a sum equal to the greater of 45% of the member’s final average compensation or the member’s
        accrued retirement benefit at the time of termination of employment due to disability, or
        (2) the retirement benefit that would be payable assuming current accrued creditable service, plus
        additional creditable service as if the member continued to be employed to the earliest date that
        normal retirement eligibility would have been attained had he not become disabled, based on the
        final average compensation at the time of termination of employment due to disability.
        Upon being approved for disability retirement, the member may receive a Maximum benefit equal to
        the aforementioned formula, without reduction for age. The member may select an optional plan as
        provided for regular retirement. The ages used to determine the amount of the benefit for the options
        are the ages the member and spouse would be had the member continued employment until attainment
        of regular retirement, either age 55 or a younger age if the member would have accrued 30 years
        Louisiana Sheriffs’ Pension & Relief Fund
        Serving Those Who Serve
        of creditable service sooner than attaining age 55. The member’s spouse/beneficiary is the person to
        whom he is married and living with at the time of retirement for disability.
        Disability benefits become effective on the date the application for disability retirement, complete with
        all supporting documents, is received in the office of the Pension Fund, or the date following the
        exhaustion of all sick leave or vacation leave claimed by the applicant, or the day after the date of termination
        from employment, whichever is later.
        A member who is classified as totally disabled for any employment is entitled to earn up to 25% of his
        disability benefit in a calendar year before being reclassified as partially disabled. [R.S. 11:2178B(1)(c)]
        Partial Disability Classification and Benefit
        A member who is unable to perform the duties of sheriff, deputy, or other member, but is certified as
        able to engage in other gainful employment, will be classified as partially disabled and will receive
        partial disability benefits while so classified. If a member approved for total disability retirement
        becomes employed earning more than 25% of his disability benefit in a calendar year, such member
        will be reclassified as partially disabled and will receive partial disability benefits while so employed.
        An employed disability retiree is subject to additional earnings restrictions as set forth in “Authority of
        Board of Trustees to Modify Benefits” following.
        The benefit for partial disability is equal to 75% of the amount that the member would have received for
        total disability. [R.S. 11:2178B(2)]

Comment

Originally posted by pyxie View Post
          Well guys,

Im sorry to hear this, wont they get you another job in the county ?
          sigpicMy statements do not represent my agency.

Comment

Will there be a retirement dinner for you?
            Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

No dinner no glory no farewell no smiles just a boot for speaking up long story I was offered a transition into medically retirement instead of another position so guess not.

Comment

DOn;t worry, our injury compensation/death compensation sucks, too.
                The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
                that we are all that stands between
                the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

I was just looking at some older threads and came across this thread. I cant believe how sick it is of a department to give someone a run around like this. When pyxie was healthy and doing her job it was all good but when she does her job and gets hurt for doing the right thing shes all the sudden a no body? This really makes me think twice about everything.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2350 users online. 170 members and 2180 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X