300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traffic Stops

Ok, at what point during a traffic stop would you consider jailing the driver instead of writing citations, not including any active warrants, say the driver does not have a license, no insurance on the vehicle, no registration, expired license plate and was speeding over 20 over the limit. Thats 5 citations, two of which could warrant arrest. in one situation the driver is Agressively Hostile and in the other calm and cooperative. You make the call Situation One AH, situation two calm and Cooperative. both scenarios include impounding the vehicle.
    law dog

My job differs from yours a good bit but I can relate...

My simple answer = Depends:

What is your written policy? Unwritten policy?

How do you believe your best supervisor would handle each scenario?

How close it is to the end of your shift?

Other thoughts...

In a perfect world the attitude shouldn't matter because we're professionals who are impervious to insults and bad attitudes. The only things that should matter are: Will the behavior cease, will the person show up for court, etc...

Then again, we're all human so the "Agressive & Hostile" dude certainly stands a better chance of getting a free ride to the Iron Bar Motel.

That's my $0.02

Comment

Thanks, point taken and duly noted. Sounds like you would do basically the same as I would, depends on several factors, AH counts for a lot, but not all.
      law dog

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4039 users online. 226 members and 3813 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X