300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lafayette Police Department experiencing critical officer shortage

"According to the city's budget, the police department would be fully staffed at 277 patrol officers. The Association says, that's still 45 officers short of FBI standards. Right now, the department has around 250 officers."

Link: http://www.katc.com/story/38400762/c...response-times

So what is driving their shortage? Pay, work environment, officers looking to leave the field completely? I can tell you that I have talked to several folks who applied there and all of them said they were not treated well which left a bad taste in their mouth. There were several reasons, but they all said they were made to feel the department was doing them a favor by even allowing them to apply.

The other reality is that to remain competitive with NOPD, LSP, or even JPSO they (and Baton Rouge) probably need a significant pay bump. I would also be curious as to weather the shortage is another case of elected officials balancing budgets on the back of public safety. In the past 5 years numerous cities in the US did this and it has had disastrous results with regard to recruiting and retention. Landrieu did it to NOPD and they are still having a hard time digging out of that hole...........even with a pay increase that starts recruits at 40k and goes to 56k after their 1st year.

Comment

dream34, from what I hear and have read it seems that pay is definitely a driver in the shortage as well as benefits. Apparently some are leaving for the Lafayette SO because their benefits package such as health and life insurance is better than LPD. And I know that LPD has a more through hiring process than other PDs and SO in the surrounding areas so I am not surprised that some of your buddes have said the were treated the way they were.

LPD prides themselves on having the best training, however all the training in the world isn't going to keep cops on the street....pay and benies on the other hand will help tremendously. Being the 4th Largest city in La you would think they could dig a little deeper to properly compensate these guys.

Comment

They weren’t really friends of mine, but rather people who applied with us as well. Several were hired by us, one of them received an offer from Lafayette as well, but said he declined based on the way he was treated and $$$. It’s one thing to have a thorough process, but another to treat people in a way that makes them decline offers of employment. The truth is in this climate and economy every department is competing for well qualified applicants with many going out of their way to be appealing. If Lafayette is not doing that then they are going to continue to have issues.

Comment

• saintcajun78
          saintcajun78 commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree 100%.

Much better pay at the sheriff's office.

Comment

• saintcajun78
          saintcajun78 commented
          Editing a comment
          Lafayette SO? If so I know their starting pay is not as high as LPD, but I have heard their benefits package is better.

• UnivPD
          UnivPD commented
          Editing a comment
          Checked lately?

• saintcajun78
          saintcajun78 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes actually I have. And starting base pay for PD is $34,600 and LSO is 32,933.16 per year according to each department's website. This is starting pay without the state supplement.

On the other side this is not a problem confined to the Lafayette Police Department. Large and medium size agencies throughout the nation are having a hard time attracting good applicants. While pay is one of the drivers there are other reasons. Among them are the fact that (as opposed to past generations) millennials do not see this as a career, but rather a job. They also tend to (as a generation) value time off and only want to work holidays, weekends, OT, etc if they are "well compensated". Adding to this is the current political climate and (even more so) the media which has demonized law enforcement to the point where we are often framed as the "bad guys". You take all of that, throw it together and you have the perfect storm which has resulted in younger people straying away from LE and veterans retiring years earlier than previous generations.

I remember when I 1st started there were plenty of folks that had 35+ years and had no desire to retire, even though they were loosing money by staying. Now we have guys leaving at 20-25 years without a second thought. Like I said we upped our 1st year salary to 56-58K and we still have problems getting applicants. The same goes for agencies like Houston, San Antonio, and Austin, all of which have a pay scale where officers (not rank, but officers) top out in the range of 90-100K at 20 years.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11404 users online. 437 members and 10967 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X