300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CCW by visiting officer - Question for you NOLA officers

Any problem for a visiting officer to have a concealed firearm while visiting as a tourist?
    Obviously, I'll have my badge and cred on me as well.
    Just wanted a bit of input, because you never know....
    Thanks
    SUPPORT COP RUN BUSINESSES!!
    SUPPORT LEO BUSINESSES!

In 2017, the sales of my LEO related decals allowed me to donate over $350. to LE/ Military related charities... THANK YOU!!! Check them out HERE...

I'm not from LA or a NOLA, but...

Check Title 18, Chapter 44 Firearms, Sections 926B and 926C

http://uscode.house.gov/browse/preli...edition=prelim
    My comments are my personal opinion and are based on my life experiences and training. They are not to be construed as legal advice in any form as I am not an attorney. Should you act on any of the information I provide in my comments, you do so at your own risk!!

Comment

For the most part you should not have any problems but be aware that state law does not allow off duty to carry in any alcoholic beverage outlet and you will not find much leeway on this one.

Possession of firearm on premises of alcoholic beverage outlet

A. No person shall intentionally possess a firearm while on the premises of an alcoholic beverage outlet.

B. "Alcoholic beverage outlet" as used herein means any commercial establishment in which alcoholic beverages of either high or low alcoholic content are sold in individual servings for consumption on the premises, whether or not such sales are a primary or incidental purpose of the business of the establishment.

C. The provisions of this Section shall not apply to the owner or lessee of an alcoholic beverage outlet, or to an employee of such owner or lessee, or to a law enforcement officer or other person vested with law enforcement authority acting in the performance of his official duties.

D. Whoever violates the provisions of this Section shall be fined not more than five hundred dollars or imprisoned for not more than six months, or both.

Comment

Originally posted by kjlaw View Post
        For the most part you should not have any problems but be aware that state law does not allow off duty to carry in any alcoholic beverage outlet and you will not find much leeway on this one.

Possession of firearm on premises of alcoholic beverage outlet

A. No person shall intentionally possess a firearm while on the premises of an alcoholic beverage outlet.

B. "Alcoholic beverage outlet" as used herein means any commercial establishment in which alcoholic beverages of either high or low alcoholic content are sold in individual servings for consumption on the premises, whether or not such sales are a primary or incidental purpose of the business of the establishment.

C. The provisions of this Section shall not apply to the owner or lessee of an alcoholic beverage outlet, or to an employee of such owner or lessee, or to a law enforcement officer or other person vested with law enforcement authority acting in the performance of his official duties.

D. Whoever violates the provisions of this Section shall be fined not more than five hundred dollars or imprisoned for not more than six months, or both.
        No carrying in a restaurant if it serves alcohol with breakfast/lunch/dinner???
        My comments are my personal opinion and are based on my life experiences and training. They are not to be construed as legal advice in any form as I am not an attorney. Should you act on any of the information I provide in my comments, you do so at your own risk!!

Comment

Originally posted by chiefjack View Post
          No carrying in a restaurant if it serves alcohol with breakfast/lunch/dinner???
          No I think it specifies Bars specifically. If you go in a restaurant that that serves food as its main source, and you can also order a beer there, I believe you are good to go.
          The prohibition is if you enter an establishment where its main source is serving alcohol.

Comment

Originally posted by UnivPD View Post
            No I think it specifies Bars specifically. If you go in a restaurant that that serves food as its main source, and you can also order a beer there, I believe you are good to go.
            The prohibition is if you enter an establishment where its main source is serving alcohol.
            That's better. I carry with that as one of my restrictions here in CA.

Comment

As much as NOLA is it's own beast state law still applies here so it should be no different than anywhere else in the state. And since out of state LEOs are covered by LEOSA you should be fine.

That said the legislature recently passed and Jindal signed HB72 which amended the CCW requirements for LEO's in Louisiana.
              Basically it states that you may carry in any public place (even bars) provided you meet the specified criteria (one of which is not being under the influence of alcoholic beverages). In essence it amends state law regarding concealed carry by offduty LEOs to be inline with LEOSA.
              The FOP link is here http://www.lafop.net/index.cfm?zone=...&HomeID=426033 They have a link to the text of the bill on the site. If any of you are going to the LAFOP State Convention in July(I'll be there) then there will be a training class regarding the legislation.

All of that said, just like anywhere else you should have no problems here at all. The only times I've had problems with off duty, out of jurisdiction LEO's (or some of our own guys) it arose more out of either drunken stupidity or them not realizing they are "off duty" and instead trying to go all "John McClain" on every pot smoking hippy, panhandler, and drunk bum they ran into, because "that **** wouldn't fly where I'm from", then subsequently throwing a fit when we reminded them they were off duty and to leave the officer discretion, arresting and detaining of folks to us. Since I'm more than sure you (and most of the guys on here) don't fall into that category of stupidity you'll be just fine.
              If you want to hook up for a beer or coffee let me know, I should be around.
              Last edited by dream34; 06-23-2014, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Thanks Dream I was not sure where that stood in the process and did not want to steer anyone wrong. You are spot on with the only time off-duties have an issue is when they can't/won't stay off duty.

Comment

Thanks for the good info.
                  Taking the wife in September mainly staying in the Quarter at Bieneville House for four days, on the way to a wedding in Ft. Worth. I know the heart of the FQ is safe, and I know how to NOT look like a tourist. BUT- you never know.

Last time I was there (1988), I made a wrong turn and got into one of the ****tiest hoods I still have ever seen. I was 21 and did not think I'd make it out alive. I also remember a LOT of semi-aggressive street hustlers / panhandlers in the FQ back then, but understand things have changed

Is Serpas still Chief? A lot of my buddies at Metro Nashville were glad to send him your way.
                  SUPPORT COP RUN BUSINESSES!!
                  SUPPORT LEO BUSINESSES!

In 2017, the sales of my LEO related decals allowed me to donate over $350. to LE/ Military related charities... THANK YOU!!! Check them out HERE...

Comment

Originally posted by swat_op506 View Post
                    is serpas still chief? A lot of my buddies at metro nashville were glad to send him your way.
                    lol

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5906 users online. 338 members and 5568 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X