300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to start a LE Career

First post here but been reading a lot of good info on the forums. Thanks in advance for your advice

Here's a little background info about me. Athletic build in descent shape 24 yrs old. I graduated Southeastern with a bachelors degree in psychology. While attending I began working in sales as the hours were flexible and the income was good. Fast forward to now I am an insurance agent at a respectable company making a good income with the future to earn more. However, this isn't where my heart is. I've always wanted to work in law enforcement and either allowed others to talk me out of it or worried I wouldn't earn enough income.
    Now, I am to the point that I wish to pursue a career in law enforcement. I feel its what I'm meant to do and I get excited anytime I think about it or see a patrol car. I've talked to the deputy chief of my parish and he gave an honest response and advised me that the career would be better worked in another parish than here due to low budget in the parish.
    So I'm posting here to seek advice and counsel from your experience. What can I do to better myself and increase my chances of hire? Looking to start in or around livingston/baton rouge/ascension areas.
    Last edited by logan_searching; 05-15-2014, 11:25 AM.

I can't say I'm real familiar with that area, but if it was me I would start with Baton Rouge P.D. IIRC (aside from State Police) they (along with NOPD, Kenner PD and JPSO) are one of the highest paid agencies in the state. In addition since they are a good size agency (I believe about 600-700 sworn) your options so far as advancement and specialized assignments are going to be much greater than they would be with a small agency. You may also look into EBRSO, I was at a class with a few of their guys several months ago, they seemed to really enjoy working for the agency and came off as pretty top notch. I know there is at least one BRPD guy on here and I'm sure he would be happy to give you some info on his agency and others in the area.
    Last edited by dream34; 05-14-2014, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Thank you for the department suggestions dream

Who is the BRPD guy you were referring to?

Comment

I think I'm the BRPD guy he was referring to. If you want to work for BRPD now is the time!!! They are about to have a academy at the end of the month, with plans for another. go to BRPD website and get more information on the process. Its a pretty painless process. if you have any specific questions let me know.

Ill tell you this, ascension is an awesome s/o from what I hear. However you have to live in ascension, and probably work in the jail to hired.

Livingston, well, I'm not going to talk badly about them. I will say that they only give you ONE pay check a month instead of one every two weeks.

BRPD- decent department, has its problems but seems to be getting better. We have tons of room for advancement, after three years on the department. Decent pay, with step raises each year. After 10 years you get longevity. The pay in the academy blows, but gets better as soon as you get out of FTO. TONS of extra duty, you can make 150,000 + a year or 35,000 a year just depends how much you want to work.
        Last edited by imtherookie; 06-18-2014, 08:52 PM.
        sigpic"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity.

Comment

Livingston is always hiring. As is West Baton Rouge. You can get on with either one of them today. East BR is a process. BRPD is running back to back academies right now. But if you didn't start the process a year ago, slots are pretty much filled up.

Comment

Get on some place as a reserve deputy and see if you like it. Get your academy and some experience, which should help you out if you want to go full time.

Comment

If you really want to get on somewhere, it took me a month to get hired with Orleans Parish, and they are about to start another class.

Comment

Partner, take some advice from someone who started Law Enforcement late in life. If you want a good job with good pay, stable environment and opporunity to advance, go with the Louisiana State Police. If i was a young man starting my career, that is what i would do. LE gets in your blood, once you get a taste, nothing else will do. Good luck and stay safe.
                law dog

Comment

Thanks for all of the responses. I lost track of this post, but I'm glad I found it again because there is some excellent advise here.

Thanks
                  Logan

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
                    Get on some place as a reserve deputy and see if you like it. Get your academy and some experience, which should help you out if you want to go full time.
                    This is the best advice in this thread. If you have a job that you like and have earning potential in, don't just up and leave. Get your feet wet, get to know people, the resources the department has, and if it suits you.

I haven't been doing this for very long, but I've seen my fair share of "this is what I was born to do" guys come and go when they get their fast batch of back to back to back vehicle crash reports to do.

Comment

I know there is at least one BRPD guy on here and I'm sure he would be satisfied to provide you some information on his organization and others in the place.
                      Buzz App | Buzz Apps | Apps Buzz | Twilio Services | Shopify Services | Nimble Messaging | SMS Marketing | Wordpress SMS Plugin | SMS Plugin | WP SMS Plugin

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5646 users online. 316 members and 5330 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X