X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eileash1
    Forum Member
    • Mar 2013

NOPD recruitment- for those inquiring

I’m posting this because this forum has been a tremendous help to me and I want to return the favor to anyone else who wants the info. This the sequence and approximate timing of my application to NOPD. Please keep in mind I am an in town applicant, so out of town will be different.
    I turned in my application sometime in the middle of October 2012. I didn’t hear back from them until late November. I received a letter giving me a date, time, and address for the NOPD civil service test. The test had multiple sections that firmly believe no amount of studying would have helped for majority of the test. The only portions I would highly recommend studying are the written portion and memorizing facts in a time limit. A very large number of people fail the written portion. So definitely work on that part. Immediately after taking the test, the test administrator gave us a time, date, and place for the physical test. I think this portion is self explanatory, and honestly a little too easy. We had a guy with a bum leg pass the run. If he can do it you can do it. After PT, the administrator gave us a number to call to schedule our background, interview, and polygraph. I was able to schedule for early January. This was also about the time I received a letter saying that I was eligible for hire. My advice for this portion is to just come clean. They found a certain piece of info on my record that certain high-ups swore wasn’t on my record. Thank God it was just related to a traffic ticket, but they knew everything. So just do yourself a favor and come clean. The background for me took about 2 months. They send out worksheets to all of your references, so be sure to give them a heads up so they can send them back in quickly. Once the background check cleared, I received a phone call saying that I was certified for hire pending my psyc and medical exam. I immediately schedule both appointments that week. This is mid March 2013, so Wednesday I get the phone call, Thursday my medical exam, Friday is the multiple choice psyc exam, Monday is the follow up on my TB test, and Tuesday is my interview with the Doctor. The doctor is very perceptive by the way. Just keep in mind she’s in that position for a reason. She’s VERY good. She knew things about me it took my husband 6 years to figure out. I felt like she was in my head or something. So, again, just be honest, she probably already knows. After that Tuesday, exactly one week later I received a phone call to come in and do paper work for hire. I did paper work that Thursday. They asked if I was currently employed, I said yes, and they gave me two weeks to hand in my notice. This was the first week of April. So from October 2012 to April 2013. About 7 months.
    Hope this helps guys. Good luck to you. Hope to see you out there.
  • dream34
    Forum Member
    • May 2010

Congratulations and welcome aboard! They should be starting the class in the next month or so depending on how quick they can fill the remaining slots. They were trying to get the class started a month or two ago, but the City Council's instance upon reinstitution of the residency requirement cost us a good number of applicants that were in the pipe. The bright side is that in the next year of so it is going to cause them to revisit our pay scale.

Comment

• Eileash1
      Forum Member
      • Mar 2013

Thanks! I can't wait to get going. Yeah, a lot of people are ****ed about it. It just doesn't make sense. Recruiting has been hard enough, why make it any harder? What's wrong with living in Metairie or Slidell?

Comment

• Roller2200
        Forum Member
        • Mar 2010

Eileash1 you starting Monday? Im in your recruit class but assigned as one of the laterals. Three of us are already done and waiting on the POST test date. Hopefully it will be within a week or so. Let me know whats up?

Comment

• eileash
          Forum Member
          • Mar 2012

Yep. Hell Day is the 20th. I can't wait. I'm actually really excited. You'll be one of the "safety officers"?

Comment

• eileash
            Forum Member
            • Mar 2012

I have also learned that my application process went abnormally fast. A lot of people have been waiting two years for this.

Comment

• Roller2200
              Forum Member
              • Mar 2010

Yes, I will be one of the safety officers. Myself and several other laterals in the class. What that exactly means?? Who nows!! Your right. That was a quick hire for you. You must of hit at the perfect time. Introduce yourself to me tomorrow (if possible). Obviously there will be more in your group than mine. LOL!! I will be the oldest one with the Yankee accent. Driving the blue Jeep. Good luck and stay hydrated. And I mean start right now. When thirsty, its already too late.

Comment

• Roller2200
                Forum Member
                • Mar 2010

Eileash1 you still with us?? I saw that quite a few fell the first day but returned on day #2.

Comment

• dream34
                  Forum Member
                  • May 2010

I see one person had to leave via EMS and one of the Sergeants had to cut paper.

Comment

• Roller2200
                    Forum Member
                    • Mar 2010

The first day four were transported. Three fell out and recovered on their own. All showed back up for day two. So far only one resignation. We also had one transported on Tuesday. All were heat exhaustion with the exception of two that injured their shoulders on pushups. Just looked in the classroom. They all sitting in business attire with sunburn faces.

Comment

• eileash
                      Forum Member
                      • Mar 2012

Ha! Yep that was fun. I don't want to post my name but I'm the female that did not fall out. Yep! I loved it. I hope we get to do more of that between all the classroom time. I love it. Having fun, good intro, can't wait for next week

Comment

• eileash
                        Forum Member
                        • Mar 2012

I'm the archaeologist. My personal favorite was the tower.

Comment

• Gunnersmate323
                          Forum Member
                          • May 2013

what are the P.T. standerds? during the hiring process?

Comment

• JKOV
                            Forum Member
                            • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Gunnersmate323
                            what are the P.T. standerds? during the hiring process?
                            10 push-ups
                            14 sit-ups
                            1.5 miles under 19 min and 50 sec
                            300 meter sprint under 2 min

Join the New Orleans Police Department. Download the Application today

You planning on applying?

Comment

• Gunnersmate323
                              Forum Member
                              • May 2013

I take the test end of nov!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 20474 users online. 62 members and 20412 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...