300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about nailing the job.

Do you feel that a muscular physique lowers the chance of violent confrontation?
    Last edited by Adam354; 05-23-2011, 12:08 PM.

You mean if you have huge muscles, they wont try to fight you? If so then, NO.

Comment

I've seen many "buff" officers get attacked by suspects despite being a lot more muscular than the ones attacking them.

Command presence works in your favor a lot better than brute force.
      Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

Originally posted by HI629 View Post
        I've seen many "buff" officers get attacked by suspects despite being a lot more muscular than the ones attacking them.

Command presence works in your favor a lot better than brute force.
        +100, it's all about presence, and tactical advantage. Never let your guard down and always maintain a good position. It has become second nature to me. While talking to a subject if they inadvertenly move around on me while talking to them (even if they have no bad intentions and don't realize what they are doing, my atennas pick it up and I'll slide myself into a better position without really thinking about it anymore and they won't notice that I just stepped to the side out of tactical advantage. I'm not a big guy and I have yet to loose to a suspect and out of all my fights I'v had one serious knock out drag out fight inside a home with a car theft suspect by myself (This was balls to the wall) and he was waaaaay bigger than me. This was one hurtin puppy the next day, the jailers had to give him several pillows to lay on and around his body, as he was black and blue like he got hit by a truck. In fact this guys nick name was "caboose". He went to jail hurting. However, I know for a fact I'v missed many a fights due to command presence and not giving up vantage positions (bad guys typically try to suprise you keeping a good vantage point they can't suprise you and are less likely to try you).
        Last edited by creolecop; 05-24-2011, 12:49 AM.
        Ignored: Towncop, Pulicords, TacoMac, Ten08

Comment

No, it will not. People will fight you or they won't. Your size doesn't matter. For the one's who haven't decided yet, I think not treating them like s**t and being firm but fair will get you more compliance than threatening to beat their ***.
          Last edited by just joe; 05-27-2011, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Ah okay that is what I suspected.

I am also trying to figure out how to "move to a tactical spot" without offending them too much, simply to minimize conflict.

For a related example, say I walk in and they are carving a turkey on Thanksgiving. Would I really ask them to put the knife down?

Of course I would, but I'm sure the tact and second nature of minimizing conflict by not offending them more than I have to takes years to perfect.

Creolecop, his whole body was black and blue? You must have utilized knees, I'm guessing.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam354 View Post
              Creolecop, his whole body was black and blue? You must have utilized knees, I'm guessing.
              Yes sir!!, from the knees up to his hips looked like he had severe frost bite, that was the common peronial strikes with knees and baton trying to take his legs out. He was so hopped up on crack and alcohol he wasn't feeling any of it. I had a boot in the house, one handcuff on the porch, baton out in the yard, my shirt was ripped open, brass was ripped off. We broke the storm door off the hinge, the kitchen was turned upside down. Sheet rock was missing. I got slammed into a coffee table, I put him into a curio cabinet. I wasn't able to take my hands off of him long enough to call for back up for some time. When I finally keyed up my radio my battery went dead. The key up went through though and they sent the calvery when they could not reach me. When everyone showed up I was on the porch with him. Took another 4 officers struggling with him to get him into custody. Turns out since it was the end of shift, the original dispatch didn't log me out at the address like I called out, so the new dispatachers didn't know where I was. Lucky for me my LT was still in the office and knew exactly where I was but this was only after about 3-5min of them bickering about where the heck was I at. This fight was probably a no zhit 20min. Which is a freaking life time. I was exausted and had puked while fighting him from exaustion, I was begging him to give up but he kept going and going. I had come to the decision that if he didn't give up and no one was here to help me in just about another minute I was going to use the strength I had left to push away from him and shoot him. This guy wasn't trying to get away he was trying to KICK MY ***. Funny thing is he did about a year and a half for the fight, the stolen car charges were dropped due to the family member not wanting to pursue the charges. I got with the judge and got him moved to a half way house so he could get treatment. I had come to know him while he was serving time in our jail. He was a good guy but admitted he was a druggie and alcoholic. Old timers who knew him said he was a great guy when he wasn't on anything and that he had quit for a long time but had recently relapsed. He never asked me to help him but I decided he had dried out and now would be a good time for him to get help. He did want it and the judge agreed to release him to a half way house for 6mo. He successfully completed it and moved away to Texas for a job. Don't know how he managed in Texas but he did good while in the half way house.
              Ignored: Towncop, Pulicords, TacoMac, Ten08

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6418 users online. 366 members and 6052 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X