300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updated Info for Probation & Parole

I was wondering if anyone on here knows any current information on being a Probation & Parole Officer for the state. I took the test, passed, and have applied to several positions with both the Juveniles & the Adults to no avail. Do they rank the applicants by test score? Have they even begun hiring again? Any information or additional information (outside the outdated state DOC website) would be helpful because I would really like to leave my current agency.

You applied thru the LA Careers website? It should have local numbers for the offices when you apply to them.

Comment

Yea, I applied through the state's website. The contact persons for the majority of the positions aren't the easiest to get in touch with. I left a message and sent an email to a few to which I've gotten no replies. I was hoping to gain the nuts & bolts concerning how the hiring process with them works rather than the their office's HR person telling me essentially the same things I've read on the job postings.

Comment

Why not just go to one of the offices? I see you are in NOLA. There are offices there. I am sure a few agents would be willing to talk to you.
        "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

That's looking like my only other option. Wanted to give the forum a shot. I read the previous probation & parole threads and most of the people responding were still on the site, to some degree. Just thought someone on here would have some insight.

Comment

Do you meet the degree or 8 years work experience criteria, and the rest of the requirements? If you apply online meeting all criteria, they should contact you for an interview, I think, though, I certainly understand the satisfaction from talking to someone involved in the process.

For example, if there is a mistake on the resume, after you applied you can't change it, and you would have to be able to talk to someone to notify them of the mistake.

Are you more interested in working with adults or juveniles?

I hear juveniles is more on the counseling side, but adults more on the LE side.
            Last edited by Adam354; 05-21-2011, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Juveneile probation in Louisiana is a J -O - K - E !!!!!

Stay away from it, it might as well not exist.
              Ignored: Towncop, Pulicords, TacoMac, Ten08

Comment

Originally posted by creolecop View Post

Please elaborate, but until then, I will just take your word for it. Thanks,

Comment

Yes, I have a degree and I currently work in law enforcement. Worked as a C.O. at a juvenile jail (worst job ever). I'm aware of the GREAT flaws w/ the juvenile justice system but probation & parole in general offers a pay raise and a better hours.

Comment

Originally posted by creolecop View Post

+1

Comment

Originally posted by UnivPD View Post
                      +1
                      Why? They don't have any openings in my area, but if they did, I would rather know its strengths and weaknesses now, than get blindsided in an interview. The adult side is more interesting to me at the moment anyway.

Also, good luck to the OP in the job hunt!

Comment

Hey guys, I am new to the forums and from New Orleans currently stuck in Tucson, AZ. I also am interested in Probation/Parole in Lousiana. Anyone on here that are current agents that can provide some insight.

I see a few posted that it is a joke and to stay away from it. Please elaborate on that as well. Is it better to work the adult side? Any LE departments currently hiring?

Comment

Each district office in both Juvenile and Adult are somewhat different. Some are more LE oriented and others more Social Working; some are more balanced. Yes, adult is generally more LE, but that is due to who you work with. However, you will have to master both worlds for probation/parole work. If you are considering probation & parole as your agency, just keep in mind the people you prefer to work with. Both agencies have their strains and stresses as any other LE agency, a lot of paperwork, field work, and court time. If you meet the qualifications, keep applying and at some point someone should contact you.
                          Last edited by gtr1832; 06-14-2011, 10:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gtr1832 View Post
                            Each district office in both Juvenile and Adult are somewhat different. Some are more LE oriented and others more Social Working; some are more balanced. Yes, adult is generally more LE, but that is due to who you work with. However, you will have to master both worlds for probation/parole work. If you are considering probation & parole as your agency, just keep in mind the people you prefer to work with. Both agencies have their strains and stresses as any other LE agency, a lot of paperwork, field work, and court time. If you meet the qualifications, keep applying and at some point someone should contact you.
                            Thanks for the info. I currently do Juvenile Probation out here. There are a lot of issues here but I won't delve into that. I just want to get back down home in New Orleans. I am applying for the Federal Probation Position in New Orleans as well.

I have to schedule some time to get down there to take the Civil Service exam. Thought they were getting rid of it but obviously not.

Do you work Probation??

Comment

You're welcome. Oui, I work probation and parole.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5237 users online. 317 members and 4920 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X