300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carry and Conceal, Shooting lessons.

Hi All! I just wanted some opinions, as I have been getting alot of conflicting advice. I plan on getting my conceal and carry permit sometime in August. I have had some officers tell me that this is a waste of time. Some say that if I get into bad shooting habits, it will be harder to learn new ones, stating that once at the acedemy I will be trained anyway and it will probably differ from the way I was taught. I believe it is a good idea, and am planning on it anyway. I thought I would just ask to see what everyone else's opinion was. I plan on starting to apply at different departments in early October and wonder if this will help at all.

Thanks and Be Safe!
    "Understand that there is nothing morally superior about being a sheepdog; it is just what you choose to be.But if you want to be a sheepdog and walk the warrior’s path, then you must make a conscious and moral decision every day to dedicate, equip and prepare yourself to thrive in that toxic, corrosive moment when the wolf comes knocking at the door.-On Sheep, Wolves and Sheepdogs
    (From the book, On Combat, by Lt. Col. Dave Grossman)

They don't actually teach you much shooting technique in the Concealed Carry class. When I went through it, it was sort of a joke - a ridiculously easy written test, then they take you to the range and shoot a couple magazines (I don't remember the exact round count) into a target from a few yards. There's very little instruction, and nothing that will keep you from learning proper technique in the academy. You WILL get a lot of actual instruction there.

Where in NKY were you looking to take the class?

Comment

Actually I spoke with my professor, which happens to be a retired Ky State Trooper and he is teaching a Carry and Conceal class starting in August, so I will probably take it with him.
      "Understand that there is nothing morally superior about being a sheepdog; it is just what you choose to be.But if you want to be a sheepdog and walk the warrior’s path, then you must make a conscious and moral decision every day to dedicate, equip and prepare yourself to thrive in that toxic, corrosive moment when the wolf comes knocking at the door.-On Sheep, Wolves and Sheepdogs

Comment

This guy is good. Know of about 15 people that have been through the class with him. Not one bad recommendation. Goes over a lot more than just your CCDW. He always has a waiting list. I am in no way affiliated with him.

Comment

Originally posted by PolarBear View Post
          This guy is good. Know of about 15 people that have been through the class with him. Not one bad recommendation. Goes over a lot more than just your CCDW. He always has a waiting list. I am in no way affiliated with him.
          Thank you very much! I will look into it.

Comment

The Count

I believe when I took my CCDW class, you had to hit the large human size target 11 of 20 times at VERY close range... A blind person could pass it easily.
            So that we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me. (Hebrews 13:6)

I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4666 users online. 272 members and 4394 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X