300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correct way to handle.

Okay, heres the question: If a school recieves a bomb threat what would be the proper way to handle this situation. Keep in mind I am only a Criminal Justice student, but my first thought would be to evacuate all students, until all clear. Contact parents. Yesterday at my sons school, they recieved a bomb threat on their answering service at around 7:10. Instead of evacuating, they went into lockdown. Bomb squad was called and the bomb smelling dogs. Nothing was found. Parents were notified by letter at the end of day. This just seems like it was not the correct way to handle it. Upon reading this letter, I started thinking about what if. Scary! Do you think this was a proper way to handle it?
    "Understand that there is nothing morally superior about being a sheepdog; it is just what you choose to be.But if you want to be a sheepdog and walk the warrior’s path, then you must make a conscious and moral decision every day to dedicate, equip and prepare yourself to thrive in that toxic, corrosive moment when the wolf comes knocking at the door.-On Sheep, Wolves and Sheepdogs
    (From the book, On Combat, by Lt. Col. Dave Grossman)

I think that every agency may handle things differently and has their own SOP, therefore you may not get the answer you are looking for.
    "Its not what you know, its what you can prove."-Training Day

"Game on, bitches. Whoop whoop, flash the lights, pull it over."

Comment

Unfortunately, making the protocols for handling bomb threats public only helps those who might actually plant a bomb.

The best I can offer is that how bomb threats are handled depends on the unique circumstances of each threat and that in many cases, evacuation is not always the safest move.
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

I recently talked to a state municipal chief who said that a couple of years ago his dept. got several bomb threats called in. School was let out and the kids were sent home while a search was done.

More and more threats kept coming. So the Chief decided to instead of releasing the kids from school they started moving them to another location and holding them until either the all clear was given or it was time for school to be over.

Suddenly the bomb threats stopped.
        MOLON LABE!

Ever Cook any fools?!?

Comment

After really really thinking about it, I think the school did handle it correctly. I suppose at the time I was only thinking as a scared mom. My son came home the day after and said that it was a student at his school who phoned it in from a phone booth. Imagine that.
          "Understand that there is nothing morally superior about being a sheepdog; it is just what you choose to be.But if you want to be a sheepdog and walk the warrior’s path, then you must make a conscious and moral decision every day to dedicate, equip and prepare yourself to thrive in that toxic, corrosive moment when the wolf comes knocking at the door.-On Sheep, Wolves and Sheepdogs
          (From the book, On Combat, by Lt. Col. Dave Grossman)

Comment

Depends on the safety and security policies of your particular school district. It also depends on the size of your school district and or building. I have over 4,000 students and 400 employees spread between five buildings. The logistical nightmare to move everyone in the case of a bomb threat would be extremely time consuming and a nightmare. It is more prudent to go into a lockdown and deploy bomb sniffing dogs along with the building custodial staff (they know every inch of the building and can spot something out of place). In less then 1% of bombings worldwide did the bomber actually phone in a bomb threat. So, while you can never know for sure what the next bomb threat might bring, evacuating everytime there is a bomb threat just isn't practical.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5008 users online. 370 members and 4638 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X