300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kansas Highway Patrol

Wondering if anyone has any info on the Department. Positives/negatives. Weather permitting, I am going to fly out on Jan 5 2008 and test. Just curious.

Originally posted by Rugger762 View Post
    Wondering if anyone has any info on the Department. Positives/negatives. Weather permitting, I am going to fly out on Jan 5 2008 and test. Just curious.
    There is a Trooper on here....Let me fetch him for you....as I am sure he's sluffing off somewhere....

Comment

I'm also testing on the 5th at Troop A headquarters in Olathe. Where are you flying from/taking the test at?

Comment

Weather permitting I will be driving up from Oklahoma City to Salina to test. If the weather is bad guess I will try again in six months.
        Last edited by oSutrooper; 12-27-2007, 06:49 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

I will be flying out of Richmond VA on friday the 4th of Jan.

If the weather sucks I guess I will be doing the next test.
          I should have done it last year when the recruiter called but I wanted to get my five years in to be vested.

I am scheduled to test in Olathe.
          Last edited by Rugger762; 12-27-2007, 06:56 PM. Reason: clerical error

Comment

I am a Trooper in Kansas City, and I work out of the Olathe office. There are many positives to this job and some negatives.

The first positive is the freedom. We have no roll call and a take home car. You don't have to see your supervisor, unless you want to, or he specifically wants to see you.

Other than rush hour, you have the freedom to do what ever you want. If you like writing tickets you can go do that. If you like Criminal Interdiction, you can go do that. If you like working in the hood go do that.

There are numerous fields you can branch into:
            1)CHART (accident team)
            2)SRT (SWAT)
            3)Breath Alcohol Team
            4)K-9
            5)Pilots
            6)Rangemasters
            7)Pursuit Team

And many others, Nick will probably add some.

We are a State Police, with a highway patrol title.

We have an cool car program. You get to select you car color, choose a light bar(optional), and the color of your decals. The car is you office, so for the most part, you arrange the inside to fit your needs.

The negatives are the lack of career progression. There are very few spots for promotion. If you are lucky you will work the street for at least 7 to 10 years before you can go into another field. That sucks, especially if you have already been in Law Enforcement for numerous years.

The academy sucks, no getting around that one.

The final negative is have to live in this worthless rectangle. The whole state smells like hotdog water. Really it does, before you come here, boil some hot dogs and smell the water. Once you cross the state line from Missouri, you will recognize the smell. Try it if you don't believe me. Any other questions just shoot me a PM.

Comment

Khp

There is another Trooper on here that is a great resource for info on KHP too. Do a quick Google search for the key-word "NBW791" and you'll find a couple hundred posts on other sites about how great the patrol is, maybe even a few reviews on fine dining. I gotta admit, I've met a lot of troopers and have a few in the family and never met one that didn't like his job. Hope to see you in Olathe on the 5th. Good luck on the test.

Comment

Originally posted by Izzy View Post
                There is another Trooper on here that is a great resource for info on KHP too. Do a quick Google search for the key-word "NBW791" and you'll find a couple hundred posts on other sites about how great the patrol is, maybe even a few reviews on fine dining. I gotta admit, I've met a lot of troopers and have a few in the family and never met one that didn't like his job. Hope to see you in Olathe on the 5th. Good luck on the test.
                If he would check his email instead of screwing off (and yes...I know for a fact he's screwing off somewhere).....he would have responded already.....

And NBW and Buckfan work together.....so it's all good info on what either one posts...

Comment

what is the academy like?
                  When reality becomes too unbearable.............When he can't give an intelligent answer to the comment made instead of the comment he wish were made....... he predictably............. slips into ........The Fantasy Zone.
                  -JPR

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
                    If he would check his email instead of screwing off (and yes...I know for a fact he's screwing off somewhere).....he would have responded already.....

And NBW and Buckfan work together.....so it's all good info on what either one posts...
                    If you consider spending yesterday projectile vomitting and about a dozen bowls of diarrhea, then yes, I guess I was just "Screwing off!"

I'll echo what Suckfan...err...BUCKfan said for the most part. We do have a ton of freedom. In rural areas where there are troopers assigned to up to 8 counties, you can imagine the even greater amount of freedom there. Even so, we don't have districts like a PD does. Our district is this rectangle. And no, it doesn't smell like hot dog water. That's just stuck in his olfactory glands from growing up in OwhyO.

We don't have our investigative section as the Kansas Bureau of Investigation is the state "detectives", if you will. So that's one downfall. Everybody wants to be a detective or a crime scene tech which you won't get with KHP.

If you enjoy self initiated activity and nearly being your own boss (do what you want, when you want and how much of it you want) then this is the place for you. The academy sucks, but it's worth it in the end. It's 22 weeks for the rest of your life.

Some days it sucks. Like when there is a foot of snow on the ground, you go crash to crash to crash to crash then spend the next couple of days getting caught up - hopefully. But then there are times when the city can't do something but we can, so they call us (i.e. chase a car). We don't have to fight over whose city something is or where it happened. We just take care of business.

I worked at JOCO PD before coming to the Patrol. It is MUCH different. You get told what to do. You get told to write a certain number of tickets of which a certain percentage need to be moving violations. You get told to "stand by until a sergent gets there" to tell you how to do your job, even though you've already taken care of everything before he gets there. You get questioned on your decisions on very minimal things (why didn't you write that guy a ticket?). I got written up TWICE in ONE NIGHT for simply doing my job (arresting a drunk driving the wrong way and showing up on a prowler call that I was not dispatched to). The cities are much more concerned with liability and keeping the citizens happy because if they're not happy, the city doesn't get things they need.

I don't really have time right now to go into any greater details and I'd probably have carpel tunnel by the time I was done, so I'll just leave it at that.

In my opinion, the Highway Patrol is a much better place to work than the municipalities around the JOCO area.

Comment

Originally posted by NBW791 View Post
                      If you consider spending yesterday projectile vomitting and about a dozen bowls of diarrhea, then yes, I guess I was just "Screwing off!"
                      Probably were spending too much time out in rural portions of your neck of the woods helping JCSO round up cattle in the snow.....

Or your Trainee gave you something funky......

Comment

Great Information.
                        The information regarding the cruiser is interesting.

NBW791:
                        Sounds like we worked for the same agency just in a different state. Or at least the same family members.

That is one reason I am looking to move to a State Police type agency.
                        I have been working patrol for over five years, and I feel that I am competent and good at what I do.

I am just tired of being told to write a certain number of tickets, and being questioned for every move that I make and why.

Plus I must say being an Alumni <<<GO BUCKS>>>
                        This year though I am not scheduling the next day off like last year.

Comment

Just a quick questions regarding directions.
                          I am looking at hotels and see a couple of nice ones in Overland Park. Just wondering if Overland Park is close to the test site.

If it is, I forsee dinner being at KC Masterpiece BBQ. If it is still there. last time I ate there was in 1998 or 99.

Thnks.

Comment

First off go for Jack Stack BBQ instead.. It's SOOO much better. Or even K&M for that matter.

Next, Yeah Olathe and Overland Park run kinda parallel in a north-south direction so anywhere near I-35 and south of I-435 will be a short drive from the test site. As for finding the Troop A Headquarters on test day, I recommend finding it the day before or make sure you have the map that came in the packet that was sent to you because the building can be hard to find. If you see the Olathe Police station you're pretty close, only a couple more turns. It's in a pretty random place hidden off of the main road. I had trouble finding it the first time I went there and I've lived in the area all my life.

I'm curious to see how many people will be there for the test. When I tested for KCKPD there were about 200 applicants and only 30 when i tested for Olathe. I've heard often over a thousand people apply state wide for each trooper class. Those are pretty scary odds...

Comment

Originally posted by Izzy View Post
                              First off go for Jack Stack BBQ instead.. It's SOOO much better. Or even K&M for that matter.

Next, Yeah Olathe and Overland Park run kinda parallel in a north-south direction so anywhere near I-35 and south of I-435 will be a short drive from the test site. As for finding the Troop A Headquarters on test day, I recommend finding it the day before or make sure you have the map that came in the packet that was sent to you because the building can be hard to find. If you see the Olathe Police station you're pretty close, only a couple more turns. It's in a pretty random place hidden off of the main road. I had trouble finding it the first time I went there and I've lived in the area all my life.

I'm curious to see how many people will be there for the test. When I tested for KCKPD there were about 200 applicants and only 30 when i tested for Olathe. I've heard often over a thousand people apply state wide for each trooper class. Those are pretty scary odds...
                              The last time i tested in Salina there was 200 people there and when it was time for the test there was only about 75 people that tested. Good Luck to everyone

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3044 users online. 182 members and 2862 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X