300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sheridan County SO or Lane County SO

Does anyone have any information about these two departments? Any information about those to counties would also be helpful.

If you have viewed www.kpoa.com any, you know that Lane Co. So. has been on there over six times in the last year. This should tell you something. But this might be the big reason, you have to clear everything with the Sheriff before you do it; arrest, vehicle stops, citations, ect. no matter day or night.

Comment

Ummmm, don't you mean www.kpoa.org ?

Comment

Work environment??

Does anyone know what the work environment is like at a small rural Kansas S.O. I understand that patrol work would be the main duty. I assume that you would know the other deputies well. Is there typically less internal politics than a larger police dept.? Is there opportunity to work overtime?

Comment

Originally posted by Bob13 View Post
          Does anyone know what the work environment is like at a small rural Kansas S.O. I understand that patrol work would be the main duty. I assume that you would know the other deputies well. Is there typically less internal politics than a larger police dept.? Is there opportunity to work overtime?
          I currently live in a small SW Kansas town, and I am an explorer with the SO. I ride with a deputy sheriff, who is also the K9 unit. We cover 1,000 square miles of county road, while covering U54 and K23.

We only have 3 deputies hired, one in each town in the county. We also have a main city PD, having 3 hired on there as well.

Right now, there are ALOT ALOT ALOT!!!! of internal politics here at the SO. The city is refusing to pay the $1,000 a month to use the SO dispatch services, and it has everyone in an uproar about it. We also just built a new jail, and we're having a-lot of fun there.

Overtime? Usually. The K9 officer is literally on call 24-7. He has been known to work over 90 hours in one week.

If anyone has any other questions, let me know.
          You can pick your friends...
          You can pick your nose...

But you can't pick your friend's nose!

Comment

Originally posted by sirjared View Post
            I currently live in a small SW Kansas town, and I am an explorer with the SO. I ride with a deputy sheriff, who is also the K9 unit. We cover 1,000 square miles of county road, while covering U54 and K23.

We only have 3 deputies hired, one in each town in the county. We also have a main city PD, having 3 hired on there as well.

Right now, there are ALOT ALOT ALOT!!!! of internal politics here at the SO. The city is refusing to pay the $1,000 a month to use the SO dispatch services, and it has everyone in an uproar about it. We also just built a new jail, and we're having a-lot of fun there.

Overtime? Usually. The K9 officer is literally on call 24-7. He has been known to work over 90 hours in one week.

If anyone has any other questions, let me know.
            Internal politics in the SO???? Say it ain't so! LOL How can there not be since it's an elected position? Anyway, I recently took a class on Criminal Interdiction. One of the points brought out in the class was that US 54 was a main route used for transporting drugs up from the south, and that an officer can really get busy at times and make a name for him/herself. Is this still the case?

Comment

Originally posted by Scott941 View Post
              Internal politics in the SO???? Say it ain't so! LOL How can there not be since it's an elected position? Anyway, I recently took a class on Criminal Interdiction. One of the points brought out in the class was that US 54 was a main route used for transporting drugs up from the south, and that an officer can really get busy at times and make a name for him/herself. Is this still the case?
              It sure is. A couple months ago, our SO got a $22,000 bust. That is actually a small chunk of change. The county just east of us got a $200k cash bust and a $400k cash bust (I may be a little off on those figures). They actually got 3-4 pounds of crystal meth the other day. We usually run every California, New Mexico, Arizona tag. If they are traveling eastbound, they usuallyhave dope. If they are running westbound, chances are they have cash.

There is a website that officers can access, called Black Asphalt. It might be a subscription website, but it lists all the major busts and such around the US. Pretty interesting site.

Stay safe.
              Last edited by sirjared; 06-09-2007, 02:07 AM. Reason: Correction
              You can pick your friends...
              You can pick your nose...

But you can't pick your friend's nose!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4469 users online. 261 members and 4208 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X