300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oppd

My question is in regards to Overland Park, Kansas Police Department in Johnson County. I was wondering if anyone on here had some familiarity with the department and could provide some basic information, such as: number of zones/districts, number of patrol officers on at a given time, the start and end times of the shifts, and any other additional information you would like to give. Any sort of information is certainly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Give this a look: http://www.opkansas.org/_Res/Police_...ment/index.cfm

Or you can always give the watch commander a call.

Comment

thanks for the reply Scott

Comment

Originally posted by JBever58 View Post
        My question is in regards to Overland Park, Kansas Police Department in Johnson County. I was wondering if anyone on here had some familiarity with the department and could provide some basic information, such as: number of zones/districts, number of patrol officers on at a given time, the start and end times of the shifts, and any other additional information you would like to give. Any sort of information is certainly appreciated, thanks in advance.
        'My friend' just left the department (transfered to another, larger agency with broader jurisdiction). He got on a special team fairly quick because of his performance on patrol. But he warns that patrol with OPPD is enough to make you quit. They have some very thick inter-departmental politics. They also have the bad kind of "female officers" (not that female officers are bad, but peace officers will get my point). They are more apt to hire the 22 year old Criminal Justice major with no life experience than individuals with natural affinities that are pertinent to law enforcement. You will be surprised as to the caliber of individual wearing their uniform.

You will be pulling a lot of ancillary duty with OPPD; sitting in at banks, malls, making head-counts all night, etc. They are very strict with the number of infractions you write, and performance evaluations can even be effected by it (not to mention your over-all standing with your superiors).

While this isn't the kind of specific information you asked for, I thought I'd give you a heads up.

Kind regards,
        Crusader_Zim

Comment

Thanks for the heads up Zim. Even though your friend is probably right, I am sure all departments have those sort of things to a certain extent. I am not very familiar with ancillary duty, but I am guessing it is sort of like 'off-duty' work. I am also going to assume that the off-duty work is optional. Thanks for all of the advice though, I greatly appreciate it. Any other information you can think of just send it on over.

Comment

OPPD is very liberal w/ a chief to match. The department is very concerned with lawsuits and the image of it's officers. A former officer I know who worked there for a few months said it was hard. Unable to meet with officers during slow times. A captain at the PD will see your vehicle on the GPS screen and wonder why your not patrolling. For what I have been told, the department will go out of its way to find out if you did anything wrong.

Comment

Thanks for the response ppd101. I was wondering though, what do you mean when you say 'meet with officers during slow times'? Meet with them to chat, eat, etc.? Just wondering. Thanks again for the feedback.

Comment

Slow times like, your driving down the road, no calls to take and it's 3am. You see an officer sitting in a parking lot and you decide to say hi. The GPS on the cars will let the Capt. know your sitting next to each other and not on a call. You will recieve a message on your computer to move along.

Comment

I understand what you are saying.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2963 users online. 161 members and 2802 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X