Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kansas Highway Patrol - Trooper Trainee Class #55

Hello all,

I am new to officer.com! I just wanted to start a new thread as I have read then entire (old) Kansas Highway Patrol thread multiple applicants have posted in and updated as they have gone through the academy. Thought this would be a good way to get in contact with those applying for the KHP this time. I have applied for the Class #55 process and was just curious to see if anyone else is testing.

I will be testing in Chanute, KS on October 24th, 2014 at 1300 hrs. Anyone else going to be testing?
    Last edited by MCSO_62-J8; 09-25-2014, 07:34 PM.

I'm in for 55. Tested last week in Wichita. Just got the email yesterday letting me know I passed. Now the long wait to Feb for the poly. Good luck to you on the testing. I hear so far it's only been around 50% pass rate. But you can take it three times now so a lot of folks are happy about that. Have you tried to get on KHP before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have not applied to the Kansas Highway Patrol before. I have been waiting for another process since I missed the last one and had not heard that KHP was opened again. I'm excited to try for KHP though. Looking forward to taking the test and getting that out of the way! Good luck to you as well!

Comment

Hey guys my name is Connor. I passed the written exam in August and have the polygraph in Feb. Saw this thread and wanted to introduce myself and hopefully get to know you guys. Best of luck with the process!
        Last edited by KHP_55; 12-02-2014, 07:03 PM.

Comment

So any updates from anyone on here regarding 55? I passed my test, going to do the poly on the 5th.

Comment

Passed the test as well, my poly is on the 3rd in Topeka. Good luck to all you guys.

Comment

For all you trooper hopefulls...

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...er-tickets-du/

Comment

I am sorry to burst the bubble of anyone applying to KHP right now, but I would seriously consider your other options. The state today is not a good employer- did your KHP recruiter tell you she was resigning from the Patrol? Did KHP tell you that over your career as a Trooper you can only expect to get a single 5% raise at 5 years when you earn Master or Tech Trooper? This is because the legislature stopped funding annual 2.5% step increases almost 10 years ago. Oh, and if you decide to become a supervisor- the raise for a Lieutenant is a whole 5%!

In addition to this- KHP is a broken agency. The former Superintendent and his Assistant have left a real mess behind. The new Colonel was a good pick, but I don't see him being able to make substantial changes for years. He will be too busy trying to fight the legislature for money with a state budget that is $800 million in the whole!

I know there is more to this career than money- but at some point you will realize that you need to provide for your family. Unfortunately, right now, I would not recommend ANY State of Kansas job to anyone.
                ---Cut the red wire---

Comment

Originally posted by KAA951 View Post
                  I am sorry to burst the bubble of anyone applying to KHP right now, but I would seriously consider your other options. The state today is not a good employer- did your KHP recruiter tell you she was resigning from the Patrol? Did KHP tell you that over your career as a Trooper you can only expect to get a single 5% raise at 5 years when you earn Master or Tech Trooper? This is because the legislature stopped funding annual 2.5% step increases almost 10 years ago. Oh, and if you decide to become a supervisor- the raise for a Lieutenant is a whole 5%!

In addition to this- KHP is a broken agency. The former Superintendent and his Assistant have left a real mess behind. The new Colonel was a good pick, but I don't see him being able to make substantial changes for years. He will be too busy trying to fight the legislature for money with a state budget that is $800 million in the whole!

I know there is more to this career than money- but at some point you will realize that you need to provide for your family. Unfortunately, right now, I would not recommend ANY State of Kansas job to anyone.
                  It's not all doom and gloom like this post wants you to believe. Sure the economy in the state is hurting right now but those things go in waves. Being a trooper in the state of Kansas is still a good job compared to a majority of the local agencies.

Comment

Originally posted by kstrooper View Post
                    It's not all doom and gloom like this post wants you to believe. Sure the economy in the state is hurting right now but those things go in waves. Being a trooper in the state of Kansas is still a good job compared to a majority of the local agencies.
                    I never said that being a Trooper was not a great job. What I said is that the State of Kansas is a lousy employer and they should look at other agencies / states.

BTW, "ks trooper" you can't suddenly create an account, make 3 posts and expect to have immediate credibility. I may not sugarcoat it, but I tell the facts like they are.

Maybe you should apply for that GHQ recruiting position- then you can blow smoke all you want.
                    ---Cut the red wire---

Comment

Originally posted by KAA951 View Post
                      Maybe you should apply for that GHQ recruiting position- then you can blow smoke all you want.
                      No thanks but I hope who ever gets it does a good job.

Comment

Wanting to see how the polys went for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by KHP_55 View Post
                          Wanting to see how the polys went for everyone.
                          I feel that mine went well...only time will tell though...8 more days or so and we will have our answers. I thought mine went great last time, and I got non-selected after the poly for 53.

Comment

Yeah the waiting is the hardest part. I waited 6 months from the written exam until the polygraph lol

Comment

"Low pay, unpredictable hours and reported morale problems are hurting the Kansas Highway Patrol’s recruiting efforts"

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/news/gover...#storylink=cpy

I see what the KHP is talking about...

I'll take the risk along with the other guys as this is my dream job. One thing I know working in my profession already, pay is not everything. But if I were to get the job, I would, along with most others, love my job, and wake up knowing that this is what I went to school for/dreamed of doing.

Some people get burnt out. Yeah $800M in debt is pretty sucky, but there's future hope. If I were to get the job, 25+ years, I would be proud to say I was part of an agency that needed help the most, and I was proud to put on a uniform, badge, boots, belt and hat, knowing that I did my part in the state. Low pay or not. THIS is my dream job. I WILL continue to push for this job, and I can see others will too. Just remember, someone always has it worse than you!

"'If you can'?" said Jesus. "Everything is possible for one who believes." Mark 9:23

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5791 users online. 343 members and 5448 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X