• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No KHP class for FY 2012

http://cjonline.com/legislature/2011...n-new-troopers

Budget won't have money to train new troopers
    Posted: May 3, 2011 - 8:41pm
    By The Associated Press
    State legislators appear unlikely to fund a new class of Kansas Highway Patrol trainees in the next state budget.

House and Senate negotiators settled the issue Tuesday during negotiations over a spending plan for the fiscal year that starts July 1.

The House version of the budget included $862,000 for the patrol to bring 15 trainees through its training academy in Salina. The Senate didn’t include the money.

The negotiators agreed to the Senate’s position, meaning no trainee class for the next fiscal year.

But the decision has to be approved by the full House and Senate.

Maybe they are giving raises instead of hiring new Troopers! HAHAHAHAHAHA

Comment

15 new troopers wasn't even that large of a class, especially considering that it has been more than a year since the last class was hired. I honestly expected that, but it is still disappointing. I know there probably isn't much attrition from KHP, but I figured that they would be able to hire at least once a year.
      What is Perseverance?
      -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
      -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
      -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

KHP has had 26 trooper retirements since the last class (of 20) was hired under the criminal interdiction grant. The budget request this year showed that nearly a quarter of the patrol will be eligible for retirement over the next 5 years.

That being said- "It ain't over til it's over." The Patrol is looking different directions for $$$. We will see what happens.
        ---Cut the red wire---

Comment

Originally posted by KAA951 View Post
          KHP has had 26 trooper retirements since the last class (of 20) was hired under the criminal interdiction grant. The budget request this year showed that nearly a quarter of the patrol will be eligible for retirement over the next 5 years.

That being said- "It ain't over til it's over." The Patrol is looking different directions for $$$. We will see what happens.
          Perhaps with alternative funding sources, it is possible, but if they couldn't get $862,000 for 15 new troopers (not exactly a huge budget item) and with the some of the budget proposals I have seen lately, I am doubtful.

Meanwhile, state employees seem to be the whipping boys with the budget proposals

State workers will see an increase in cost of 5 percent for health insurance.

•All state agencies will see an additional 1.1 percent across the board cut.

•State agencies will have a hiring freeze and all vacant positions will be deleted, adding to workloads.

•Longevity pay for state workers will be eliminated,

•The third year of the state pay plan will be suspended. State employees currently work at salaries that are 25 percent below market.
          Also they are still trying to fix KPERS.

"Under the plan, longtime KPERS workers on July 1, 2013 would be asked during a 90-day voting period to make a one-time choice between increasing their payroll-deducted pension plan contributions by two percentage points to 6 percent to keep their current benefits package or to continue contributing 4 percent and receive pension checks that are potentially 24 percent smaller than what they would get based on calculations now."
          I'm sure that the number of people who retire during or right before July 1, 2013 will be high. I am so glad that I no longer work for the state, even though I do want to be a trooper.
          What is Perseverance?

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

In all fairness, none of that has actually been decided yet. There have been plenty of crazy ideas thrown out, but the budget bill hasn't been finalized, voted on or signed by the Governor yet.
            ---Cut the red wire---

Comment

In all fairness, none of that has actually been decided yet. There have been plenty of crazy ideas thrown out, but the budget bill hasn't been finalized, voted on or signed by the Governor yet.
              That is true, but it seems like public employees have become the blame for all of the financial problems, not just in Kansas, but all over.
              What is Perseverance?

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

I just saw on the news this morning that MODOT is laying off 1,200 employees and closing 135 facilities. YOWZERS!

Comment

Originally posted by NBW791 View Post
                  I just saw on the news this morning that MODOT is laying off 1,200 employees and closing 135 facilities. YOWZERS!
                  Cutting their fleet by half. You think MO roads are bad now........just wait.

Comment

Originally posted by NBW791 View Post
                    That's news to me. There was talk of consolidating highway districts.

That's too bad; they have always been a big supporter for us.

Hope you guys see some relief soon. Times are tough everywhere......we are running 1 class a year from 2 a year. Classes are scheduled through April 2012....don't know what will happen after that.
                    Last edited by statebear; 05-10-2011, 08:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by biw371 View Post
                      LOL! You must have never lived or worked in Oklahoma.....venture south and then tell me who has the worst roads...

Comment

Originally posted by biw371 View Post
                        Actually over the last 10 years or so, Missouri highways have improved to the point where they are on par with most other states.

The federal government is screwing over states on a lot of this. I understand they are broke also. But they are nickel and diming the states in federal funding without even touching the biggest costs. Heck, I think defense spending is due to go up again this year.

Comment

Not going to say too much at this point- but if I was interested in becoming a Kansas Trooper, I would make sure that my information / application with them is up to date. If something happens, it is going to be tied to a grant and the hiring process is going to be compressed!
                          ---Cut the red wire---

Comment

Not going to say too much at this point- but if I was interested in becoming a Kansas Trooper, I would make sure that my information / application with them is up to date. If something happens, it is going to be tied to a grant and the hiring process is going to be compressed!
                            Lets hope the grant comes through. I still would give up my federal job for a trooper position.
                            What is Perseverance?

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

Edit......
                              Last edited by Zach Smith; 12-31-2012, 03:19 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4978 users online. 275 members and 4703 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X