300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• University Police

Does anyone know how jurisdiction works for University Police Officers? I was told that they hold their commision with the state meaning technically they would have state wide jurisdiction, but I have also read the statute that says they have jursidiction on the property and property ajacent to the property, and roads around campus. Ithoght I also read they have jurisdiction within the city now.

Does this vary by department and city policy? I'm specificallly talking about the University of Kansas.

In Ohio, campus police (and all certified officers everywhere) derive their powers from the state. That does not mean they have jurisdiction throughout the state. University police are certified through the state and have authority over property the university owns or controls. This may include bordering streets. Universities may also have a mutual aid agreement with the jurisdiction they are in giving them broader (basically off campus) powers. The same goes for municipal officers. An officer in City X has authority in that city--not the state. They may enter into mutual aid packs with other police depts, such as other municipalities, universities, hospitals, park districts, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by tuleyz View Post
      Does anyone know how jurisdiction works for University Police Officers? I was told that they hold their commision with the state meaning technically they would have state wide jurisdiction, but I have also read the statute that says they have jursidiction on the property and property ajacent to the property, and roads around campus. Ithoght I also read they have jurisdiction within the city now.

Does this vary by department and city policy? I'm specificallly talking about the University of Kansas.
      It can vary. There could be an MOU (Memorandum of Understanding) in place between KU and the Lawrence PD, that may outline exceptions to KSA 76-726.

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
        In Ohio, campus police (and all certified officers everywhere) derive their powers from the state. That does not mean they have jurisdiction throughout the state. University police are certified through the state and have authority over property the university owns or controls. This may include bordering streets. Universities may also have a mutual aid agreement with the jurisdiction they are in giving them broader (basically off campus) powers. The same goes for municipal officers. An officer in City X has authority in that city--not the state. They may enter into mutual aid packs with other police depts, such as other municipalities, universities, hospitals, park districts, etc.

Pretty much the way it works in Iowa

The U of Iowa PD I in Iowa City often works in concert with the ICPD since the campus is right down town IC. They do a lot of patrolling the downtown area so ICPD can concentrate on the outlying areas.

The other two state universities have similar policies.
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

That makes more sense than. The way I take it is that it depends on the agreement with the jurisdiction the University is in. I hear the University of Kansas helps the city out a lot so they must have an agreement with Lawrence.

Comment

Here are two Kansas statutes that explain their jurisdiction.

http://kslegislature.org/li/statute/...2_024_0001a_k/

http://kslegislature.org/li/statute/...76_007_0026_k/

Basically on their campuses, on the streets adjacent to the campus and when summoned by other law enforcement agencies to assist off campus. Read the statutes on the links above for exact jurisdiction though.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5777 users online. 345 members and 5432 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X