300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Positions with smaller cities and towns in KS

I wanted to get some input from any of the officers and troopers that frequent these forums. Although I am still interested in Johnson/Wyandotte County departments, I have been putting a lot of thought (and applications) into smaller cities and departments in the state lately. I was wondering what your thoughts were on starting out a law enforcement career with a small city with intentions of getting back to JoCo/WyCo or getting on with KHP eventually after getting certified and getting some experience. Thanks guys.

A significant number of the small (<10 sworn) in west Kansas are always looking for people, mostly to replace those who went to bigger departments. Bear in mind that the pay can be low, the hours long and the work a mix of mind numbing boredom and extreme terror, small departments can also be much more political with the Mayor/City Council/City Administrator haveing a much larger part in the day to day operation of the department.

A number of smaller departments are now having new employees sign a contract agreeing to stay with the department for 2 to 5 years after completing KLETC in order to keep the new guys from leaving for the big city six months after the academy.
    never forget: www.odmp.org

"In peace time our best still don battledress and lay their lives on the line"

Comment

Originally posted by Izzy View Post
      I wanted to get some input from any of the officers and troopers that frequent these forums. Although I am still interested in Johnson/Wyandotte County departments, I have been putting a lot of thought (and applications) into smaller cities and departments in the state lately. I was wondering what your thoughts were on starting out a law enforcement career with a small city with intentions of getting back to JoCo/WyCo or getting on with KHP eventually after getting certified and getting some experience. Thanks guys.
      Good luck Izzy. Keep an eye on http://www.kpoa.org as a lot of smaller agencies post there.
      Those who believe, ye shall receive.

Comment

I was wondering what your thoughts were on starting out a law enforcement career with a small city with intentions of getting back to JoCo/WyCo or getting on with KHP eventually after getting certified and getting some experience.
        This is exactly the career path I took. Get your foot in the door, get your certification and prove to employers that you can do the job. I spent 3 years at a small, rural agency before moving to KHP. The pay was horrible, we had to buy much of our equipment ourselves but from time to time I miss the "simple" days when the policy manual was less than 10 pages long!

(Also, don't underestimate the value of education- get at least an associate degree and aim for a bachelors if you want to be successful in a larger agency).

Good luck!
        ---Cut the red wire---

Comment

Well it's good to know that others have taken this path and it works. I have completed my associates degree and am taking as many classes a semester online toward my BA as finances permit. I am in the current hiring process for KHP and hope that everything goes well since this is my second attempt. I'm just setting up a plan B if I don't make it on this time. I've sent in apps for Coffeyville, Ottawa, Newton, and a few others.

I'm not sure what to expect for the current KHP hiring process. I received my testing letter today (mailed the 6th) and the test is set up for next Saturday the 17th. There may be a lot of people that test because there hasn't been a class in a while, but there may also be a lot of people that can't get the day off from work with only a week's notice. I know it was difficult for me. I'm assuming there aren't as many candidates this time since they are only using one test site and are doing the verbals on the same day as the written. Hopefully the odds will be better than usual.

Comment

check out Merriam, KS...theyre hiring
            "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
            The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
            sanitizer

"and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
            Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

Comment

I am in the sort of the same boat. I have relocated back to Kansas from living in Arkansas. I received basic law enforcment training and experience during my time there. I do strive for employment with a large agency that offers great training opportunities and progression. My struggle has been getting a KS LE agency to recognize my training from Arkansas in order to get KS certified. I have heard that the more applications you put out there the more bites you will get back, I don't know if this holds true nowadays with the economic crisis. Even Law enforcement agencies have been effected. I would like to concentrate on one region or area in the state for now. would like to gaoin more experience and go from there. The problem goes back to agencies not hiring or a lack of turnover. I have even looked in to joing a department as a reserve officer to get acquainted with KS Law etc.

Patience is a virtue i guess.....

Comment

KS law is very simple...you will have take a 2 week "reciprocity" class, but laws are mostly the same, some are just labeled differently ie burglary 1st degree, (MO) compared to agg burglary,(KS)
                again, look into Merriam...NE Johnson CO, borders WY CO...theyre hiring and would rather have someone in 2 weeks, after the reciprocity class, then after academy traing, (months)
                "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
                The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
                sanitizer

"and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
                Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

Comment

KS does offer a reciprocity exam; assuming you were certified in your state. If you are interested in reserves, my agency may be looking to fill some reserve slots soon. Our reserves do the same job as full time and can patrol on their own once they go through the training and FTO. PM me if you want more info on that. We sometimes hire from the reserves into full time positions, that's what worked for me.

If you weren't certified and just had some training, you'll need to attend the KS Academy (KLETC). That means you need to get hired first. The economy has taken a toll but some departments in KS got grants and may be hiring. I'm pretty sure Wichita is, although the line is long. Just keep at it

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5408 users online. 310 members and 5098 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X