300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gardner Police Reserve Unit

Does anyone know anything about the reserve unit in Gardner? They just contacted me the other day regarding my application several months ago and set up an interview for this coming Monday. I'm curious if they send the reserves to the KLETC part-time academy (there's one starting Sept. 22) or if the training is all in house. It's a great opportunity either way, to gain some valuable experience and training, but there are definitely benefits to earning the part-time certification as opposed to none at all. Any info at all about the program would be appreciated.

Gardner Reserve Unit

Working full time for the department I would say don't waste your time. Too much of a good ole boy system.

Comment

Originally posted by Izzy View Post
      Does anyone know anything about the reserve unit in Gardner? They just contacted me the other day regarding my application several months ago and set up an interview for this coming Monday. I'm curious if they send the reserves to the KLETC part-time academy (there's one starting Sept. 22) or if the training is all in house. It's a great opportunity either way, to gain some valuable experience and training, but there are definitely benefits to earning the part-time certification as opposed to none at all. Any info at all about the program would be appreciated.
      Originally posted by RMH726 View Post
      Working full time for the department I would say don't waste your time. Too much of a good ole boy system.
      How do the reserves in Gardner work? Do you have to buy all your own equipment? Is the training in-house? Do they actually go out on patrol with full-time officers?

Just curious, I'm not interested, just for comparison sake to the reserve unit I work for.
      What is Perseverance?
      -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
      -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
      -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

You have to buy your own gun and boots. Everything else is used hand me down items mostly. You always ride with a full time Officer until they feel you have learned enough to be on your own. I have not witnessed anyone make it that far. There are only three reserve Officer's who have been around for many years that can do that. The training is all in house and there is no standard so you have no idea of how you are doing. You may not even ride with an FTO. Not a good program to be in.

Comment

I understand what you're saying, but I've been around the block for a while as far as applying full time at several different departments and they've all told me (at least in Johnson County) that I needed some experience in the field before I could get on there. Would it really not be worth buying a pair of boots and doing a form of "internship" to get my "feet wet"? Any further info, feel free to PM me. I don't want to make a mistake, but to me, from a pre-rookie standpoint it still looks appealing...

Comment

Originally posted by Izzy View Post
            I understand what you're saying, but I've been around the block for a while as far as applying full time at several different departments and they've all told me (at least in Johnson County) that I needed some experience in the field before I could get on there. Would it really not be worth buying a pair of boots and doing a form of "internship" to get my "feet wet"? Any further info, feel free to PM me. I don't want to make a mistake, but to me, from a pre-rookie standpoint it still looks appealing...
            Izzy I completely agree with you. Once I started with the reserve program in the Wyandotte County Sheriff's Office, agencies finally started looking at me like they should take me seriously. Even if the agency isn't the best, you need to get whatever experience you can earn that will give you an advantage when applying for a full-time job.

Not only that, but it's fun being a reserve officer. There really aren't many reserve programs on the KS side of the metro area(I have looked), so if you can get on, take advantage of it.
            What is Perseverance?
            -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
            -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
            -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5871 users online. 332 members and 5539 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X