X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DMS 525
    replied
    Originally posted by YMAN
    The issue is that you insulted those who have benefited from Affirmative Action, yet you can't accept the fact you failed a PT test and continue to blame AA for your failures. Move on man. Too much pent up anger towards a female who was hired instead of you. Do you know this female personally?

Why continue to insult DMP?

The term racist thrives from POWER, people of color don't have the power in this country ("Superior"). Save the insults, instead read a book.
    Yes, in fact I do know that officer personally. Fine Officer, too. Never have blamed her for my not getting hired, nor have I ever toted a grudge against her.

"Move on, man." I did. I am in a profession that pays well, offers good benefits, and suits me well. May not be LE work, but LE wasn't and isn't the only thing I'll ever do.

Where did I ever insult DMP? My beef was with the Civil Service commission for the City of D.M., not the Police Department.

"Save the insults?" Where was I insulting anyone? Merely stating my observations, just as you did your's. And I have read lots of books in my time. And I saw a lot of the pros and cons related to strife between the races before you even learned to tie your shoes. Saw a race riot many years before you were even BORN! I saw on the news and read in the paper when Dr. Martin Luther King was gunned down. I was young, but remember being so confused and mad, wondering why ALL people couldn't just get along with each other, and treat everybody the same.

A lot has come a long way since that time, and will continue to change for the better. Folks like you who may disagree with that make me wonder, just what in the hell is it you want? I don't know; do you even know?

Leave a comment:

• LPI
    replied
    "Based on the goals of the Federal Court Consent Decree for the Cincinnati Police Department, it is anticipated that the recruit class will be 34% black and 23% female."

(Quoted from police recruit information guide.)

That is an example quoted from the departments website. What this means is that there is a maximum of 43% of the slots open for white males.
    If more than 43% of the white males have the top scores, there will still be only 43% hired. Those are the simple facts.

Leave a comment:

• lewy15
    replied
    you say aa represents the community as a whole... so are you saying if a community is 100% african american then have all african american cops or if its all white then have all white cops serve it??

Leave a comment:

• YMAN
    replied
    DMS 525, for the record, I never called you a racist or used the term in any of my posts.

Leave a comment:

• YMAN
    replied
    Originally posted by DMS 525
    YMAN, you strike me as the type who likes to straddle both sides of the fence. You claim to be so oppressed, yet you claim to not need AA, on account of "being the best person for the job." If racism was the problem, they would have found a way to keep you from getting hired. So quick to find a reason to call someone a racist, when in fact, it looks like YOU are the racist! No matter what someone says or does to show respect and consideration for a "person of color", as you put it, you still look to find a way to throw dirt on it. It's people like you who tend to reinforce the ideas of a lot of old hard-liners.

Ted is right; AA is an old cow that needs to be put out to pasture. It has served it's purpose, but is no longer needed. Females and minorities have proven themselves to be a valuable asset to LE agencies all over the nation.

I have nothing against females/minorities being police officers, and this was not the first time I have been beat out of a job by one. I do have a major problem with double standards, which does not have a damned thing to do with race/gender/or if they want to bed down with goats!

Was it fair that she got a second chance to take that test, but I didn't? That's what made me mad.

The issue is that you insulted those who have benefited from Affirmative Action, yet you can't accept the fact you failed a PT test and continue to blame AA for your failures. Move on man. Too much pent up anger towards a female who was hired instead of you. Do you know this female personally?

Why continue to insult DMP?

The term racist thrives from POWER, people of color don't have the power in this country ("Superior"). Save the insults, instead read a book.

Leave a comment:

• DMS 525
    replied
    YMAN, you strike me as the type who likes to straddle both sides of the fence. You claim to be so oppressed, yet you claim to not need AA, on account of "being the best person for the job." If racism was the problem, they would have found a way to keep you from getting hired. So quick to find a reason to call someone a racist, when in fact, it looks like YOU are the racist! No matter what someone says or does to show respect and consideration for a "person of color", as you put it, you still look to find a way to throw dirt on it. It's people like you who tend to reinforce the ideas of a lot of old hard-liners.

Ted is right; AA is an old cow that needs to be put out to pasture. It has served it's purpose, but is no longer needed. Females and minorities have proven themselves to be a valuable asset to LE agencies all over the nation.

I have nothing against females/minorities being police officers, and this was not the first time I have been beat out of a job by one. I do have a major problem with double standards, which does not have a damned thing to do with race/gender/or if they want to bed down with goats!

Was it fair that she got a second chance to take that test, but I didn't? That's what made me mad.

Leave a comment:

• YMAN
    replied
    Originally posted by lewy15
    Affirmative Action is a bunch of BS!!! Yman... whats wrong with hiring the best person for the job whether they are male or female, brown, purple, black white or red???
    Affirmative Action diversifies the ranks within departments to better reflect the community it serves. I am astonished that in 2006 that you would ask such a question.

Leave a comment:

• lewy15
    replied
    Affirmative Action is a bunch of BS!!! Yman... whats wrong with hiring the best person for the job whether they are male or female, brown, purple, black white or red???

Leave a comment:

• YMAN
    replied
    [QUOTE=Ted] I don't think that Affirmative Action is a positive thing for men or women of any color anymore. At one time it was. It helped to bring about much needed changes in this country. But now it just divides us.

Exact opposite, Affirmative Action will bring us together....

Leave a comment:

• YMAN
    replied
    As long as racism still exists in this country then Affirmative Action should be enforced. Folks who are against AA are those who have benefited from past and present inequalities that women and people of color have endured. As a person of mixed race, I have experienced racism as young child growing up and as a police officer. The nay sayers are those who have not experienced racism first hand. Affirmative Action is not enough. AA didn't get me my first cop job. It was because I was the best candidate for the job.

Leave a comment:

• Ted
    replied
    Affirmative Action is a positive thing for women and for people of color in this nation.
    YMAN, I can agree with you about most of what you are saying to DMS 525. However, I don't think that Affirmative Action is a positive thing for men or women of any color anymore. At one time it was. It helped to bring about much needed changes in this country. But now it just divides us. We will never be a color-blind or gender-blind country with Affirmative Action around.

Leave a comment:

• YMAN
    replied
    First off, I was a police officer about the time you were getting out of diapers, so I don't need you telling me to grow up, nor passing rash judgement on me. I don't do that to others, so I don't think I'm asking too much that no one do it to me.

Let me enlighten you on what happened, and perhaps then you may understand what made me mad:

This was back before that Cooper test came about. The PD used the P/A test that included climbing a ladder, dragging a dummy, carrying weights up and down stairs, as well as the "backyard pursuit."

If you are not aware of what that was, it was a run where you crawled under a net 3 feet from the floor, jumped over a three foot wall, and jumped over a three foot "ditch" drawn on the floor. You had to make three laps of this course in a limited time.

Anyways, this gal was ahead of me for that test. First thing she does is dives under that net like an idiot, not watching what she was doing, and bonked her head against the floor, just about knocking herself out. Medics checked her out, and after a while, they let her do the test again, and she passed it.

When it was my turn, I ran the three laps, and they marked my score card, whereupon I went to the next event. A few minutes later, one of the proctors from that backyard pursuit test came up to me, telling me there was an error in my score, that I missed the line on my third pass of the course. She then changed the score on my card, which cost me 12 points, which cost me the test. I asked the proctor(some old gal who probably couldn't run 10 feet without getting a heart attack) that since it was her initial oversight, if I could retake that event. She said we only got one try. I asked her what the deal was when they let that gal I mentioned earlier retake that event for nothing more than her own carelessness; she stuck her nose in the air and walked away.

Never gave it much thought, until a few months later, when I saw that this gal had got on the department. I wrote the Civil Service commision, telling them what I thought of their double standards, in their push to keep Affirmative Action quotas filled, so the city could get the funds they needed from the Federal government. This gal I mentioned was an American Indian(Native American). Add her into those other AA babies who have made more trouble for the PD and the city than anyone else over the last 15-20 years, I think you may see my point. (Go back into General Topics on this web site, and read those postings about Affirmative Action).

I also told the Civil Service folks something else. That gal's carelessness; in the P/A test, it just gave her a headache. On the street, such a mistake could cost her her life!

Finally, I resent your remarks about being "culturally insensitive." I worked security and special LE work in this city for about 11 years, and I worked right in among a lot of minorities and inner city types, right in some of the roughest parts of town. I even worked for a black man for over 6 years! I established a good rapport with a lot of those people, and had much less trouble with them than a lot of others did. Not that I didn't do my job, and crack down when I had to, but I did it without playing favorites, nor trying to make it look like I was better than any of them.
    Working with and living as a PERSON OF COLOR is two different things. So, working with people of color gives you the right to make asinine comments regarding affirmitive action. You worked with a black man for six years, whoop de doo!!! This reinforcecs why you were not hired as LEO. Affirmative Action is a positive thing for women and for people of color in this nation. It's obvious you wouldn't understand because you are so angry and you were beat out by a female. You need to enlighten yourself on racial EQUALITY.
    Last edited by YMAN; 04-27-2006, 12:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• DMS 525
    replied
    Not sure what you meant by that comment, but it sounds ignorant!!!
    You can't blame women and people of color for your failure to get hired with a LEO agency. It was probably the right decision not to hire you. We have enough of ignorant and culturally insensitive officers in this country to deal with. It sickens me that we have people like yourself applying to be peace officers. GROW UP!!!!!!
    First off, I was a police officer about the time you were getting out of diapers, so I don't need you telling me to grow up, nor passing rash judgement on me. I don't do that to others, so I don't think I'm asking too much that no one do it to me.

Let me enlighten you on what happened, and perhaps then you may understand what made me mad:

This was back before that Cooper test came about. The PD used the P/A test that included climbing a ladder, dragging a dummy, carrying weights up and down stairs, as well as the "backyard pursuit."

If you are not aware of what that was, it was a run where you crawled under a net 3 feet from the floor, jumped over a three foot wall, and jumped over a three foot "ditch" drawn on the floor. You had to make three laps of this course in a limited time.

Anyways, this gal was ahead of me for that test. First thing she does is dives under that net like an idiot, not watching what she was doing, and bonked her head against the floor, just about knocking herself out. Medics checked her out, and after a while, they let her do the test again, and she passed it.

When it was my turn, I ran the three laps, and they marked my score card, whereupon I went to the next event. A few minutes later, one of the proctors from that backyard pursuit test came up to me, telling me there was an error in my score, that I missed the line on my third pass of the course. She then changed the score on my card, which cost me 12 points, which cost me the test. I asked the proctor(some old gal who probably couldn't run 10 feet without getting a heart attack) that since it was her initial oversight, if I could retake that event. She said we only got one try. I asked her what the deal was when they let that gal I mentioned earlier retake that event for nothing more than her own carelessness; she stuck her nose in the air and walked away.

Never gave it much thought, until a few months later, when I saw that this gal had got on the department. I wrote the Civil Service commision, telling them what I thought of their double standards, in their push to keep Affirmative Action quotas filled, so the city could get the funds they needed from the Federal government. This gal I mentioned was an American Indian(Native American). Add her into those other AA babies who have made more trouble for the PD and the city than anyone else over the last 15-20 years, I think you may see my point. (Go back into General Topics on this web site, and read those postings about Affirmative Action).

I also told the Civil Service folks something else. That gal's carelessness; in the P/A test, it just gave her a headache. On the street, such a mistake could cost her her life!

Finally, I resent your remarks about being "culturally insensitive." I worked security and special LE work in this city for about 11 years, and I worked right in among a lot of minorities and inner city types, right in some of the roughest parts of town. I even worked for a black man for over 6 years! I established a good rapport with a lot of those people, and had much less trouble with them than a lot of others did. Not that I didn't do my job, and crack down when I had to, but I did it without playing favorites, nor trying to make it look like I was better than any of them.

Leave a comment:

• YMAN
    replied
    If you're a straight, white male, no. If you're a female from a minority class, you can, and will get on the DMPD! That still torques my onions to this day.
    Not sure what you meant by that comment, but it sounds ignorant!!!
    You can't blame women and people of color for your failure to get hired with a LEO agency. It was probably the right decision not to hire you. We have enough of ignorant and culturally insensitive officers in this country to deal with. It sickens me that we have people like yourself applying to be peace officers. GROW UP!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• scott72
    replied
    Originally posted by lcpdwannabe
    I've never heard of taking a binder with you into an interview..they should have all your info from your app when you have the interview and they ask you about any special accomplishments if they want to know.

good luck on your run and let us know how you do..if you fail...don't let it get to you and stay with it!!!
    I've always taken a binder in with me for interviews. What I bring are letters from people I've accumulated over the years thanking me for various things, pictures of me in classrooms, grants I've applied for and received, and any other things that would surely impress an oral board. It really shows them you'll pull out all the stops to get the job.

As far as the 1.5 mile run, if your running on a quarter mile track, make sure you run no slower than 2 minute laps and your home free. Check your time each lap and know if your falling behind or not. You'll do it. Have confidence and just tell yourself failing is not an option. It's a long damn drive home when you miss it by a few seconds. Don't let it happen.
    Last edited by scott72; 04-26-2006, 11:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6697 users online. 346 members and 6351 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X