300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ankeny Community Resource Officer

So Ankeny is hiring for a community resource officer which from the looks of it is basically like an officer minus the ability to arrest people or conduct traffic stops. Does anyone know if they make it a regular habit of promoting those in that position to a full time officer or am I better off waiting for an officer position to open up? The pay isn't all that great, but I was thinking that if I don't make it through the hiring process of the other departments I'm trying for that it would be a way to get my foot in the door.

Also, just wanted to say happy new year to y'll and thanks for all the advice you've both given to me and that which I've read in other posts. Have a great 2015 and I hope this is the year I join your ranks.

I'm a CSO in Indiana. Looking to move to Iowa and have applied.

I have seen some departments use these positions to "vet" officers for sworn positions. Generally though it's fairly obvious in the postings when this is the case...

It can be a very good way to get your foot in the door but I've also seen it backfire. It takes a special someone to work these positions as you are often dealing with irate individuals and or aggressive animals and have very limited defensive tools at your disposal.

And just an FYI - if you didn't already see it. Ankeny posted a opening for a police officer. Good luck on either front!
    There is no greater love - than that of a man - that will give his life for another.

If God carried a gun - it would be a 1911

Comment

yeah, they just posted the officer position today so i put in app for that. Gotta admit, the process is a pain in the ***. I have apps out with several places, in the process with two departments, just takes so long to find out anything for certain.

Comment

Welcome to the club Nyisles. I have apps into about 7-8 departments right now. Used to work for a couple departments in Iowa.

Comment

I'm in the process with two departments, have my app in with about three others. I just put in an app for one that would be my top choice, but from what I hear the process could take up to a year. The hard part is trying to decide if I should wait for that one or just take the first one that offers me a job.

Comment

Originally posted by nyislesfan42 View Post
            I'm in the process with two departments, have my app in with about three others. I just put in an app for one that would be my top choice, but from what I hear the process could take up to a year. The hard part is trying to decide if I should wait for that one or just take the first one that offers me a job.
            You are a fool if you don't take the first job offered.
            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Take the 1st offer. Today's LE job market is insanely tough to get into. Maybe you get onto a department that's not your number 1, but take the offer, do the best you can and lateral out if you still want to. Who know's, maybe you'll enjoy the department.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                You are a fool if you don't take the first job offered.

Agreed.... Ten Fold.

Remember the wise old words... "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush". Take the first job offered. Get some time in and IF you don't like it - its always easier to lateral elsewhere. Good luck!
                There is no greater love - than that of a man - that will give his life for another.

If God carried a gun - it would be a 1911

Comment

That has always been my plan, just worried that I do accept that first offer then in the middle of the academy I hear from my top choice that they want to hire me.

Comment

Originally posted by nyislesfan42 View Post
                    That has always been my plan, just worried that I do accept that first offer then in the middle of the academy I hear from my top choice that they want to hire me.
                    You can "what if" till the cows come home.

If that happens-------------you have a rough decision to make (I would stay where you are and wait for the NEXT time that agency has an opening) You just tell that agency that you are already in the academy (or that you are working at XYZ agency and have to finish your training contract time) They will understand----they might even be willing to pay out your contract.

But, the chances are you will never hear from that agency------or you will be non selected.
                    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3048 users online. 146 members and 2902 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X