Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alternative Drugs ? what ones are legal, what ones can we charge?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative Drugs ? what ones are legal, what ones can we charge?

Lately, I been running into people from in and out of our state carrying Synthetic cannabis a psychoactive herbal and chemical product which, when consumed mimics the effects of cannabis. It is best known by the brand names K2[1] and Spice, the ingredient being cannabicyclohexanol Ki = unknown. Reported to be 5 times more potent than THC.

Now K2, and K2 Spice is illegal in Iowa as of late last year. However; I see other brands of this K2. For example I have seen this new marijuana lookalike LSD drug thats called savia. I have heard on the street this is being sold in Iowa legally. I also am being told that these spices they are spoking are highly sprayed with chemicals. But since they dont have that one chemical for K2 or Spice then they get away with it.

Today I had a guy with two packages of 3g of Cronic Haze which looked like marijuana but smelled like mint and that the marijuana odor. On top of that he had real pot, and a weapon with him. So I had enough, but that cronic haze threw me off. I took it and booked it into evidence. But unless its illegal i assume he can keep it?

My question is how are we controlling this. Kids and adults are turning to these substances, and ordering them online, also taking drugs like bath salts and snorting them to get a Cocaine like high. This concerns me as a police officer I dont know what one is legal and what one isnt. And if I had a list, how do I know that list is correct on what the drugs were sprayed with. And how do you test it?

Confused on the new alternative drugs....
    "Ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country." President John F. Kennedy

Give these people a call------------------

http://www.state.ia.us/government/odcp/

Just remember that as soon as we legislate a substance as illegal------they will find something else to use/abuse....................just saying!
    Last edited by Iowa #1603; 05-29-2011, 08:41 AM.
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

That becoming a tough issue. I think ultimately all synthetic cannabis is to be deemed illegal. So if you send it to the DCI lab and it shows it to be synthetic cannabis then it is illegal. This will also depend on the court system of your county. I believe the wording from the pharmaceutical board says including but not limited to..... However A Johnson county magistrate tossed one because that specific form of synthetic cannabis was not listed.
      What have you done for the State of Iowa today?

- My SGT

Comment

Originally posted by Kornblaster View Post
        That becoming a tough issue. I think ultimately all synthetic cannabis is to be deemed illegal. So if you send it to the DCI lab and it shows it to be synthetic cannabis then it is illegal. This will also depend on the court system of your county. I believe the wording from the pharmaceutical board says including but not limited to..... However A Johnson county magistrate tossed one because that specific form of synthetic cannabis was not listed.

eh.................You will quickly learn that the Johnson Co Magistrates have their own rules many times
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

124.401 (5) I just had a guy on a drugged OWI and Possession of K2...Google NMS Labs and that is where you send the urine samplle..Call me or send me your E-mail and I can send you my intel report on what to do or where to send it.

Comment

I just threw it into evidence. Email it to me on FB ICPD.

I agree Iowa and Korn. If its not one thing they will come out with another. I can't keep up on all the name brands. But I knew that there are "Chemicals" that are deemed illegal. I know for fact K2 is considered illegal, but I'll make some calls this week on it. Since it was the weekend, wanted to see if you coppers or troopers seen much of this stuff on the street. Wish the law just said any type of controlled substance that can affect the judgement would be considered a schedule controlled substance or require a script. But then again they are trying change so much on capital hill that making the k2 illegal took many years. If anything these kids are getting ahold of it and smoking it. In past two days I have been on half a dozen marijuana calls. But would take those calls over meth any day of the week.
            "Ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country." President John F. Kennedy

Comment

I had "spice" the other week. It was purchased from here:
              phatpugs.com
              Sending it into DCI to determine charges, both parties were released however DRE was done for driving while drugged.
              Trooper who did eval said you can charge with "imitation" or send it down to lab and determine charges at a later time.

As far as Salvia it isn't a spice, it is a plant so it is not sprayed with synthetic. Last I knew it was legal...Its effects llast much shorter than Spice of K2.
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salvia_divinorum
              Me confuuuused.
              Last edited by svdave; 06-02-2011, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Iowa Code 124A

Check chapter 124A on Imitation Substances. You can't really charge someone for possessing an imitation substance, but you can charge for Poss. w/ Intent to Deliever, etc. Basically the person being charged has to admit they know the substance either has the same effect as a controlled substance or can be sold as a substitute controlled substance....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6349 users online. 371 members and 5978 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X