300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reserve Officers in Iowa

Hello all, I am looking for some information on how you all run your reserve officer programs. Our officers are in the process of putting together some by-laws and I figured this would be a good source of information as to how everyone else in the state conducts business. Some questions that have come up that I can think of.......Are your reserve officers allowed to patrol solo? with another reserve? only with full-time officers? Are your reserve officers allowed to make arrests and issue citations (do you sign the citation or do they?) if they believe the situation warrants it? Do they use your cars or are there vehicles designated for the reserves?

I know that Iowa code says Reserve officers have the same powers other than invoking implied consent, however as we all know some departments are more controlling (for lack of a better word) than others.

Again any information you can provide would be great!

Thank you in advance and STAY SAFE everyone!!

We have a pretty active reserve program. When working our reserves can do anything except OWI's. They can sign citations, but they are under the understanding that if and when the subpoena's come in, they have to appear just like our full-timers. That can mean taking time off of their full-time jobs. We run "classes" meaning when we are running low reserve numbers we will hire a group and put them through the training which is mandated by the academy. Once they are through the training they are individually evaluated and if the full time guys are comfortable with the performance of that individual reserve, then they are allowed to patrol solo. That being said, they are never on the street by themselves. There is always a full time officer on the street as well.

Make sure you have a dedicated liaison officer to lead the reserves. There will be problems that come up and this officer will be the one to take care of those. Reserves are a excellent source of knowledge and experience but only if the program is managed properly and you have the support of the department as a whole. PM me if you want more information and I can fax or email you a copy of our SOP's.

Covman

Comment

Franklin County has a pretty good reserve program. I had a friend who worked up there as a paid reserve for two years before he got on full time at another dept. It was around $9.00-$10.00/hour I believe but allowed him to gain experience while finishing his college degree. They do get their own squad car and it's the same as the certified officer's.
      A bad day of fishing beats a good day of work!

Comment

Linn Co Sheriff has a very active reserve program.

They are not allowed to patrol solo, but do work extra jobs and they do a river patrol during the summer.

The SO puts on a reserve acadmey that trains reserves for the entire area.
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Thanks for the replies so far guys great info!!.....We currently have a resereve program and it has gone thru its ups and downs. For about the last year we have been very active and have some general orders that are a lot out of date and we are trying to get those updated. That is mostly the reason for this thread, I'm looking for some ideas as to how everyone else does things and comforming those ideas to what fits with us.

Thanks!

Comment

We're a very small department. We have more reserves than we have full-time officers. Generally, the reserves can patrol solo, but a full time officer has to be working (in a separate squad) on the same shift and have immediate contact with them, should they have a question/problem etc. We have a very good reserve/part time program. A couple of the guys have other full-time law enforcement jobs, and we let them patrol solo if someone's not working. The full-time officers are still "on call" but we don't actually have to be out. They are considered part-time officers in those situations, as they're certified. The City won't fork over the dough to hire another full-time, (Which could arguably be more cost effective) so it forces us to rely on them too often. All in all, the reserve/part-time guys are very good officers. They don't "make waves" much and are not "badge heavy" like I've seen in other reserve programs.

We use them to double up shifts on the weekends and during special events or festivities.
            "I sometimes wish that people would put a little more emphasis upon the observance of the law than they do upon its enforcement."
            -Calvin Coolidge

"Amateurs train until they get it right. Professionals train until they can't get it wrong." - Unk

Comment

Originally posted by LPD003 View Post
              All in all, the reserve/part-time guys are very good officers. They don't "make waves" much and are not "badge heavy" like I've seen in other reserve programs.
              When ya going to sign me up

Comment

Originally posted by lcpdwannabe View Post
                when ya going to sign me up :d
                me too!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ice_tre View Post
                  me too!!!!
                  Originally posted by lcpdwannabe View Post
                  When ya going to sign me up
                  He wants good officers not badge heavy neanderthals.
                  Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                    He wants good officers not badge heavy neanderthals.
                    Good to bed old man, it's way past your bedtime.

Comment

wannabe - We have enough junk in this town. And given the fact that you seem to "attract" more junk, you've got no chance. Consider changing your screen name to ppdwannabe, forever.

Ice tre - you're in.
                      Last edited by LPD003; 05-08-2011, 03:34 PM.
                      "I sometimes wish that people would put a little more emphasis upon the observance of the law than they do upon its enforcement."
                      -Calvin Coolidge

"Amateurs train until they get it right. Professionals train until they can't get it wrong." - Unk

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3705 users online. 216 members and 3489 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X