300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question

Do you have to live in the state/city that you are working in?

The answer for your question will differ from department to department. Are you asking for any department specifically? As far as the state patrol works you need to live in the county you are assigned to. I know many departments just have a distance requirement IE you can only live 20mi out of town.
    What have you done for the State of Iowa today?

- My SGT

Comment

My department has no residency restriction, which is pretty rare. I currently live in the town I work but am moving about 30 minutes away in a week and a half. Cedar Rapids is 50 miles, Marion is 15, Belle Plaine is 7. Some cities do "drive time" restrictions, a lot of counties make you live in your county if you're a deputy.

Comment

Thanks guys. My only problem is I live in Illinois and am looking at a job in Iowa. My wife won't move to Iowa. Ill look into it closer.

Comment

The department you work for may require you to have a drivers license from that state. This will involve a residency issue, because if you live in another state, that state will require you to have a license with them as well.

I'm not sure if state A will require you to surrender your license from State B before they issue their license, having you constantly running in circles between DMVs.

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by wanabewarrior View Post
            Thanks guys. My only problem is I live in Illinois and am looking at a job in Iowa. My wife won't move to Iowa. Ill look into it closer.
            I had two guys in my academy that are probation officers and they were assinged to a new unit so they had to become certified officers. They work in Council Bluffs and live in Omaha. They are State of Iowa employees.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4340 users online. 271 members and 4069 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X