300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iowa State Patrol

I see that the Iowa DPS is hiring. I have a few questions about the process...hopefully someone here will be able to answer.

When applying to the DPS can you specifically designate that you would like to work for the state patrol or does DPS just put you in whatever division they need you?

What type of shifts does the state patrol work? Does the state patrol equip their officers with good equipment?

Do they offer a good benefits/retirement package? Do employees pay into social security?

How is morale overall?

Are you at the mercy of the agency as far as transfers go, or is transferring pretty much left as an option to the officer after initial placement?

Any general thoughts of the state patrol overall?

Thanks in advance

I know you get to specify which branch of the DPS you want to go to and then the assignments (I believe) go by preference and academy standing. I think their benefits are pretty good. They do get moved around every few years, but I don't think it's anything too terrible. Not really sure about the shifts or any other of your questions. I think it would be good if you like to keep busy and work traffic. I personally like traffic enforcement, so I think I would like it. Hope that helps. I'm sure some others will add their input.

Comment

Originally posted by stryker11 View Post
      I see that the Iowa DPS is hiring. I have a few questions about the process...hopefully someone here will be able to answer.

When applying to the DPS can you specifically designate that you would like to work for the state patrol or does DPS just put you in whatever division they need you?

What type of shifts does the state patrol work? Does the state patrol equip their officers with good equipment?

Do they offer a good benefits/retirement package? Do employees pay into social security?

How is morale overall?

Are you at the mercy of the agency as far as transfers go, or is transferring pretty much left as an option to the officer after initial placement?

Any general thoughts of the state patrol overall?

Thanks in advance

You are able to pick which division you would like to work by rating them from 1st to last. If your first choice isn't interested, they pass you on to the next one.

State patrol has pretty decent equipment. Their cars are newer and they switched in the past year or so to a new S&W gun.

Their shifts are rotating so you will work days and nights. A day shift typically starts at 6:30am and ends around 2:30. There is also a shift that starts around 2:30 and ends around 11pm. They also have an overnight car, depending on your post and location to an interstate.

Morale depends on which Post you are assigned. It depends on your supervisor and how the Troops get along. There are some hard feelings between some of the guys. Troopers don't get to pick where they want to go, occasionally they get their first pick.

Transfers are allowed and I haven't heard of anyone being forced to transfer. If you want a transfer to a popular post, be prepared to wait awhile.

The ISP is a good agency, if you want to spend a lot of time in a car in all kinds of weather and road conditions. You will spend a lot of time helping stranded motorists.

Comment

Originally posted by HINRG View Post
        You are able to pick which division you would like to work by rating them from 1st to last. If your first choice isn't interested, they pass you on to the next one.

State patrol has pretty decent equipment. Their cars are newer and they switched in the past year or so to a new S&W gun.

Their shifts are rotating so you will work days and nights. A day shift typically starts at 6:30am and ends around 2:30. There is also a shift that starts around 2:30 and ends around 11pm. They also have an overnight car, depending on your post and location to an interstate.

Morale depends on which Post you are assigned. It depends on your supervisor and how the Troops get along. There are some hard feelings between some of the guys. Troopers don't get to pick where they want to go, occasionally they get their first pick.

Transfers are allowed and I haven't heard of anyone being forced to transfer. If you want a transfer to a popular post, be prepared to wait awhile.

The ISP is a good agency, if you want to spend a lot of time in a car in all kinds of weather and road conditions. You will spend a lot of time helping stranded motorists.

I would agree with him. A guy I use to work with several years back in Corrections went to ISP and he loves it. When he got out of the Marines and went to work at Nebraska Department of Corrections that's where he and worked together. After a while he wanted to work where he made money and made difference.

He is originally from Omaha and applied with NSP and didn't rank high enough so he tested with ISP and got hired. Being from Omaha he wanted to get Council Bluffs to be close to family. When he graduated from the academy the closes he could get was Corning Iowa. He was stationed there about two years before he was able to get back to Council Bluffs.

After being stationed at Council Bluffs for a few years. He worked at the academy for one class and decided it wasn't for him. He then came back to Council Bluff where he is still stationed. He says they get great equipment and good pay.

If I remember right he said their car program worked where you first get one of the old cars with a crap load of miles. After you have been on a few months you get a new car. Once you been on so many years you get the option of having a car with or without a light bar. Yet later on in your career you get the option of having a fully unmarked car with the lights in the grill and dash and a car color of you choice.

I'm not sure if that's what they are doing anymore. That last time we talked about it was when he was at my bachelor party about 4 and half years ago. If no ISP guys are able to answer your questions on here let me know and I will give him a call.
        Some people were just dropped on their heads as children more than the rest of us!

Comment

I'm a rook with the ISP. As far as the car program you usually get something with about 60-80k on them after FTO and run it up to 95k or so before it goes to the auction block. As far as getting a brand new car it may or may not happen depending on what is available with retirements transfers to other divisions ect. For an unmarked you can put your name in the hat for one but its up to the district commander.

Pay is ok.
          Retirement is through SPOC not IPERS but it seems pretty killer

Equipment is OK. We all have in car computers with statewide network access. The rumor is that we will be getting in car 27/28 soon but that has yet to be seen.

Shifts depend on the district and are negotiated by our union were currently looking at going to a 5 on 3 off schedule. Generally you only work mids once every few months unless you bid for permanent mids.

I’ve never heard of anyone being forced to transfer but I have herd that it has been strongly recommended that someone applies for reassignment. When transfer time comes around theirs a list of vacancies and HQ decides which vacancies to open for transfers. HQ will submit a list of openings then you can submit your name and its based on seniority from there.

You will know which county you will be assigned before you accept the position. It wasn’t always that way. The way it was troops would find out about 2 weeks before the academy was done.

Overall the moral seems good but every post has its own atmosphere.

If you or anyone else has any questions about the process or the academy feel free to ask.
          What have you done for the State of Iowa today?

- My SGT

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4918 users online. 259 members and 4659 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X