300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorized Bicycles

All of these mopeds everywhere are a pain. They are often stolen or used for selling drugs. My understanding of the law says that if a "motorized bicylce" is manufactured to go more than 25 miles per hour then it is now a motorcycle and must be registered. I know people usually focus on the 50 cc requirement but I wonder if anyone has written a UTT for failure to register or no motorcycle endorcement for someone going over 25 miles per hour.

Any thoughts?

Originally posted by indy256 View Post
    All of these mopeds everywhere are a pain. They are often stolen or used for selling drugs. My understanding of the law says that if a "motorized bicylce" is manufactured to go more than 25 miles per hour then it is now a motorcycle and must be registered. I know people usually focus on the 50 cc requirement but I wonder if anyone has written a UTT for failure to register or no motorcycle endorcement for someone going over 25 miles per hour.

Any thoughts?
    I know one of my shift partners has done just that. He wrote for the no endorcement and a few more citations on top of that.
    “Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way.”- Viktor Frankl

"Any views, opinions, or statements made are not the views of any police department, government agency, or entity that I may or may not work for. Further more the views expressed are solely those of he who made them."

Comment

Any thoughts?
      I feel your pain, they are everywhere and in the way and most of them go more than 25. The problem that i have ran into is that the serial numbers are missing, I have ran one or two through control they came back negative. We can still get them for not having side veiw mirrors and crap like that. How do we prove other than radar or pacing that they go 25? how many CC's does it take to get to 25mph? and does it say how many cc are on the engine? Thanks
      METRO965

Comment

I swear I saw one of these in the trunk of a cruiser a few years ago.

Comment

They have those little pocket rocket bike things with the weed eater engine on them that can go about 30mph, and even up to 40-45mph with some upgrades. Difference is people don't ride those down the street, just in neighborhoods.

Comment

Originally posted by Munky View Post
            They have those little pocket rocket bike things with the weed eater engine on them that can go about 30mph, and even up to 40-45mph with some upgrades. Difference is people don't ride those down the street, just in neighborhoods.
            Obviously you don't hang out on the east side very much. Those things are everywhere in the swamp, and the guys riding them are in the street and on the sidewalks. A couple months ago I towed one because the guy was riding it down Washington Street westbound from Franklin Road.

Comment

Any thoughts?
              Yes, by pacing.
              *on edit*
              And if its going over 25, since its now a motorcycle and not a moped it counts for purposes of suspended drivers and HTV.
              I miss you, Dave.
              http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Originally posted by CruiserClass View Post
                Yes, by pacing.
                *on edit*
                And if its going over 25, since its now a motorcycle and not a moped it counts for purposes of suspended drivers and HTV.

I concur with the above. If it goes over 25 on a flat level surface, it doesn't matter what the CC's are, it needs plates and an endorsement to operate.

Some serious enforcement might cause the legislature to tighten up the law. I always thought it was strange that 15 year olds (w/ ID Card) could operate these on the street. Tell the parents that the kid is getting a ticket for never licensed and see if they let him ride again w/out the "I's" dotted and "T's" crossed.
                SPSC 262

Comment

Originally posted by IMPDNE View Post
                  Obviously you don't hang out on the east side very much. Those things are everywhere in the swamp, and the guys riding them are in the street and on the sidewalks. A couple months ago I towed one because the guy was riding it down Washington Street westbound from Franklin Road.
                  Just for clariffication, I'm talking about the ones that are about 1' 6" tall and maybe 3' long. And no, I don't hang out that far south on the East side, I stay up near the Lawrence area. Up this way I don't see them all that much, aside from neighborhoods.

Comment

Originally posted by Munky View Post
                    Just for clariffication, I'm talking about the ones that are about 1' 6" tall and maybe 3' long.
                    Thats exacly what I towed.

Comment

Okay, just wasn't sure we were talking about the same ones. Those are fun, but how someone could go on the main roads with them is beyond me. Not very comfortable after 5 minutes of riding them.

Comment

Good to see we are all pretty much on the same page...time to pull out the UTT and tow slip books!

Comment

I stopped two motorized bicycles for violating proper operation of a motorized bicycle (exceeding 25 MPH) yesterday and got a stolen gun out of it.

I talked to a cycle sergeant last week and he said that as long as the mopeds meet manufactuer's specifications for a motorized and has not been modified, it does not have to be registered.

Comment

I talked to a cycle sergeant last week and he said that as long as the mopeds meet manufactuer's specifications for a motorized and has not been modified, it does not have to be registered.
                            What specifications? If it was originally designed to exceed 25, even by the manufacturer, its now a motorcycle. Was he saying that it doesn't have to be registered if the designed max speed was (for example) 30 of as long as the original speed max was 25 and it hadn't been tinkered with but could still do 26.5 because of a tailwind that day? Regardless, you have a stopping charge because its illegal to operate a moped above 25mph so its just one less UTT.
                            I miss you, Dave.
                            http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

I stopped two motorized bicycles for violating proper operation of a motorized bicycle (exceeding 25 MPH) yesterday and got a stolen gun out of it.

If people are riding these bikes on the main streets,it seems to me that they should bare the same financial responsibilities as other vehicles and have to be insured.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3118 users online. 143 members and 2975 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X