Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Hire - Pendleton Correctional Facility

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • New Hire - Pendleton Correctional Facility

    New Hire as CO @ pendleton. Training starts in a few weeks. Anyone have any info about this prisoN?

  • #2
    I've been a CO in Indiana for a while now. The main thing I can stress to you is CYA. Not only from inmates but staff as well. Right now the system plays more in favor with the inmates then it does staff. It's a good job but it is what you make it. Your training will be a joke at best. You will learn most of what you need to know on the job. If you have any more specific questions let me know
    I can't believe I do this for free!

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Kokoro View Post
      I've been a CO in Indiana for a while now. The main thing I can stress to you is CYA. Not only from inmates but staff as well. Right now the system plays more in favor with the inmates then it does staff. It's a good job but it is what you make it. Your training will be a joke at best. You will learn most of what you need to know on the job. If you have any more specific questions let me know
      +1... I know around 10 officers at that facility and it use to be more. Several of my buddies have left due to conflicts with the administration. If you do get hired on definitely CYOA. If you want more details good and bad pm me.
      “Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way.”- Viktor Frankl

      "Any views, opinions, or statements made are not the views of any police department, government agency, or entity that I may or may not work for. Further more the views expressed are solely those of he who made them."

      Comment


      • #4
        A lot of CO postions in the state, doesn't sound like a very good stable job....everywhere CO job I hear it's CYA..

        Comment


        • #5
          Congradulations and good luck in training! I had my interview at Westville a few days ago.

          I know this may be a dumb question that I should be able to figure out but whats- CYA
          Inmate: Why y'all treat us like criminals
          Me: you really want an answer to that
          Inmate: Man thats crazy CO

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by HapkidoKa View Post
            Congradulations and good luck in training! I had my interview at Westville a few days ago.

            I know this may be a dumb question that I should be able to figure out but whats- CYA
            cover your *****

            Comment


            • #7
              I figured the YA out but the C was killling me- lol! Thanks
              Inmate: Why y'all treat us like criminals
              Me: you really want an answer to that
              Inmate: Man thats crazy CO

              Comment


              • #8
                Are you going to be at the reformatory or the newer prison in Pendleton?

                I worked for DOC as a CO for a little over a year. The last few months were at the reformatory. It's not the worst job in the world but not the greatest either. I think they have gotten a bit of a raise since I left. The one thing that made up for the not so hot salary was they had really good state benefits (almost more important than salary these days in my opinion).

                The reformatory is definitely no joke. It's big boy prison. When I was there, they were firing people like crazy. There is also a high turnover rate of people, like me, who find better gigs and leave. The politics are so thick you could cut them with a knife. Everyday when you check in for duty, they will give you your assignment for the day. They think nothing of sticking you in area that you have never worked before, sometimes even by yourself if they are short handed enough...That's extremley tough not to mention dangerous.

                Overall, if you go in, do your job, go home and don't get wrapped in in the politics you'll be fine. Treat the inmates like men, be fair with them and you'll get along ok with the vast majority of them. Also, there is almost unlimited overtime opportunities and you will be forced to work over 4 hours alot of the time making for a 16 hour day for you.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by whyistopu View Post
                  There is also a high turnover rate of people, like me, who find better gigs and leave.

                  "Better" is an opinion. What you are saying is that corrections or IDOC wasn't for you.
                  Inmate: Why y'all treat us like criminals
                  Me: you really want an answer to that
                  Inmate: Man thats crazy CO

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by HapkidoKa View Post
                    "Better" is an opinion. What you are saying is that corrections or IDOC wasn't for you.

                    I'm not sure I really need you to tell me what I'm saying. When I say better gig that is what I mean. I'm not sure why you are chiming in if you haven't worked for DOC before. Another poster with DOC experience stated the training was a joke and you didn't jump on him for his opinion (he's also absolutley right). Once you start, you'll find out what I mean very quickly. That's great your going to work at Westville and I'm not tooting my horn, but Westville aint exactly the reformatory. I have a feeling that you are believing the DOC recruiting posters and what they say about themselves on their web page. It IS a very political environment, they DO take shortcuts due to being understaffed, they WILL fire you for whatever reason they feel like especially since there is no union anymore and there ARE better jobs in the world. Also, just a word of advice...If you go into DOC no matter what facility you are going to work with that nit picky, idealistic, know it all attitude you are going to find yourself in some very ugly situations with inmates as well as your fellow staff...Some of whom, aren't a whole lot better than some of the inmates. That isn't just my opinion, just an ugly reality. Now before you go harping again, I said SOME staff, not all. There is a handfull of very good people too.
                    Last edited by whyistopu; 08-05-2008, 06:54 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by whyistopu View Post
                      I'm not sure I really need you to tell me what I'm saying. When I say better gig that is what I mean. I'm not sure why you are chiming in if you haven't worked for DOC before. Another poster with DOC experience stated the training was a joke and you didn't jump on him for his opinion (he's also absolutley right). Once you start, you'll find out what I mean very quickly. That's great your going to work at Westville and I'm not tooting my horn, but Westville aint exactly the reformatory. I have a feeling that you are believing the DOC recruiting posters and what they say about themselves on their web page. It IS a very political environment, they DO take shortcuts due to being understaffed, they WILL fire you for whatever reason they feel like especially since there is no union anymore and there ARE better jobs in the world. Also, just a word of advice...If you go into DOC no matter what facility you are going to work with that nit picky, idealistic, know it all attitude you are going to find yourself in some very ugly situations with inmates as well as your fellow staff...Some of whom, aren't a whole lot better than some of the inmates. That isn't just my opinion, just an ugly reality. Now before you go harping again, I said SOME staff, not all. There is a handfull of very good people too.
                      "Better" is based on ones personal preference which makes it only true to ones own self- therefore it can and will vary from individual to individual making it an opinion.

                      FYI- assuming isn't a good thing to do because the fact that I said I applied and interviewed with Westville does not mean I do not work for a DOC- it simply means that I am intrested in working at Westville for whatever reason.

                      Thats the end of this conversation.
                      Last edited by HapkidoKa; 08-06-2008, 07:49 PM.
                      Inmate: Why y'all treat us like criminals
                      Me: you really want an answer to that
                      Inmate: Man thats crazy CO

                      Comment

                      MR300x250 Tablet

                      Collapse

                      What's Going On

                      Collapse

                      There are currently 3291 users online. 154 members and 3137 guests.

                      Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                      Welcome Ad

                      Collapse
                      Working...
                      X