300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indiana departments that Lateral?

I have been Mississippi Certified for 7 months and by the time I am looking to apply will be over a year. I want to move back around the Terre Haute area. I have 4 years military and would love to lateral BUT i think 1 year is too short to lateral. Any advice?

V/R

In Indiana, some departments to be considered a "lateral" you'll have to have 3 years under your belt. Some departments, a year will do you. Perfect example, Hammond PD. Your best bet is to get hired by a department, have them send your training records from Mississippi to the Indiana Law Enforcement Training Board, and they (LETB) would determine if your training in Miss. would be accepted here in Indiana.

If the training is, then you would have to take our criminal law, traffic law, and firearms portion of the Basic Course. There may be some other course you'll have to take, can't remember. Hope this answers some of your questions.
    Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Comment

Thanks Towncop,

I figured 1 year is not enough, but you never know.

Comment

towncop you are killing me with the Hammond thing..I called up there spoke to Candace, but I'm too old now..still looking though..

Comment

I found out that Fort Wayne, IN. is taking Lateral Police Officers, but not sure how many years you need on to do a Lateral move...something to look into though..good luck..let me know if you find anything.

Comment

Thanks traffic enforcer

I put my application in at the Federal prison in Terre Haute. If I don't get hired through them then I am going to stay where I at for now. Believe it or not down on the Gulf Coast is expensive to live and is getting alot worse.

Comment

Also since your military, I believe I saw some kind of military police in terre haute, that have openings. I think it was on careerbuilder.com, just something to check into..

Comment

Fort Wayne lateral Process?? Especially for out of staters? HOw is the PD to work for, any info??

Comment

I think the majority of departments will hire you from out of state. As towncop said, it's up to the LETB whether or not you have to go through the state academy here in Indiana. But, the department may also have you do additional training as well.

There are few departments that have their own certified academy, so they have to send new hires to ILEA for 15 weeks. I don't know of any state rule that says you need to have a minimum amount of time on, but as stated above, the department may require it. We hired a lateral with only 1 year on from IU.

Good luck.

Comment

I have not heard of lateral requirements per se. What I do read/hear about is that your a lateral if you have already been a police officer. Some Central IN agencies are using laterals for higher pay/benefits. That is where the years of service come in. I have year to hear about any departments saying laterals have to have x number of years (outside of those mentioned in this thread).

Comment

South Bend PD I believe takes laterals from out of state with one year on - but again it's going to depend on the LETB, and I think last I read/heard it was a one year minimum.

Elkhart County Sheriff (county just east of St. Joseph County/South Bend) for those that aren't familar takes lateral transfers with two or more years (which will start you at the higher pay), if you have less than two years you wouldn't have to go to the academy, but you'd start at the base pay rate.

Comment

I transferred from IL several years ago. I think it required one year full time after the academy. I also had to go to ILEA and test on firearms, traffic law, crim. law and evo. You just join up with the current academy class and take the tests with them. It's not a bad deal at all. Good luck. P.S. Illinois law sucks.

Comment

I have been checking into laterals also. I printed off a page from the LETB for out-of-state training waivers. It says:
                          An individual who has successfully completed a POST-certified law enforcement basic training course in another state, and can document at least one year of paid service as a police officer, may be eligible for a partial waiver of Indiana's basic training requirement. A department head wanting to prusue the waiver process for a newly hired officer should apply through TRATS.
                          My problem is, I'm a paid certified police officer, but my job is seasonal, which runs from March through December. I've got a little more than a year in, but it's not a full-time, permanent position. I tried to E-mail ILEA, but they just refer me to the above statement and really don't answer the question. I'd hate to move, get a job, then find out they won't accept the experience. My age dosn't help, either, being 41.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3376 users online. 222 members and 3154 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X