Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the deal with Indiana!

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    Last edited by G-Town Cop; 12-15-2010, 03:44 PM.

Well, you are on the right track. I know there is an age cut off for Indianapolis Metro PD, State Police and some local PDs. This I believe is due to the retirement funding. As for County - I believe most if not all County PDs there is no age cut off.

Those that have age requirements, I believe it is 35 or 36 and after that you are considered too old. You just need to check with each locality as they can be very different.

Comment

This has come up a lot. The age limit has nothing to do with the dept. It has to do with PERF which is the pension board that most if not all city and state depts use. Now there are some Sheriff depts. that supposedly do not use this therefore the 36 y.o. age limit is not in effect. I am sure more will chime in on this subject but that is my understanding.
      Admit nothing, Deny everything, Demand proof, and Make counter-accusations!

Comment

What jonesm099 said is correct. City police departments can't hire anyone over 35 years of age, PERF requires new members to be less than 36 years of age. Many sheriff departments in Indiana do not have an age limit, however, there are a few that do. Dubois County, for example where I live, has a cut-off of 35 years of age. ISP recently raised their age limit to 40, which means that you must not have reached your 40th b-day prior to becoming appointed as a trooper.

So, if you're wanting to get on a city PD, do it NOW while you're still 35 and they can get you processed and into PERF before your birthday!
        Last edited by towncop; 04-24-2008, 09:38 AM.
        Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Comment

I am not a police officer yet. I am in the job hunt so I have done a lot of research on this topic. Plus If I am wrong I am sure someone will pop on to correct me. First there is no age limit to become ILEA (Indiana Law Enforcement Academy) certified. The age limit comes from PERF, (Public Employees Retirement Fund) That is why some sheriff's offices don't have a age limit. Some sheriff's departments own their own retirment funds.
          Originally posted by Smurfette_76
          You will always be disappointed when you expect rational behavior from irrational people.
          "I always carry a pen in my but, because you never know when things are going to crack off."
          Unnamed inmate VCJ

Comment

Originally posted by bigj8550 View Post
            I am not a police officer yet. I am in the job hunt so I have done a lot of research on this topic. Plus If I am wrong I am sure someone will pop on to correct me. First there is no age limit to become ILEA (Indiana Law Enforcement Academy) certified. The age limit comes from PERF, (Public Employees Retirement Fund) That is why some sheriff's offices don't have a age limit. Some sheriff's departments own their own retirment funds.
            Uh.....yeah? Am I missing your particular point Bigj other than the ILEA comment?
            Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

Comment

Indiana has a variety of retirement systems and that, not ILEA certification, is what drives the age restriction. If the department is on the 1977 Police and Fire Pension, you have to be accepted into the program by age 36. Most larger agencies are under the 77 Fund. However, some smaller agencies and town marshal departments are still under Civilian PERF which has no age cutoff to join (although the department itself may have a restriction). Sheriff Departments are under their own retirement system and can hire at any age (I just switched agencies to a Sheriff at age 43). Our Basic Class an with a Town Marshal Course and there were a couple guys that were in their 50s and 60s in the Marshal course, So, look around and you can find an agency without restrictions.
              "Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide."
              John Adams, April 15, 1814

Comment

I say again, there are some sheriff departments in Indiana that DO USE THE MAX AGE OF 35 before being hired, and they aren't on the '77 PERF system.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4030 users online. 261 members and 3769 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X