Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Old Fart" In Indiana

Hey Everyone,

I've only been on this site a few weeks and have already learned a great deal and have had most of my questions answered. Though I do have a specific question that I haven't seen yet. If someone can help that would be great, or if you can direct me to another thread or resource, it would be appreciated.

I reside in central Indiana and I'll be 40 this summer, thus I am not eligible for hire in virtually every city department in Indiana, as well as the ISP due to their age cut offs, which as I understand is based on their retirement program.

Other than the county sheriff's departments, I am not aware of any other department where my age will not be an issue. My questions is, for someone of my age, do you know of any departments, aside from the sheriff's department, that I might have a shot at getting into a career in Law Enforcement? Also, as far as getting a deputy sheriff's position, do you have any suggestions which might help me prepare and/or enhance my chances of getting hired?

Other than my age, I consider myself to be a good candidate - 8 years military service (USCG 4 years active, 4 years reserve) where I served as a Law Enforcement/Boarding Officer/EMT/and more, honorable discharge, 4 year college degree (in a non-LE field), steady consistent career with few job changes over the last 10+ years, decent credit and driving record (nothing major other than a couple speeding tickets which were less than 10 over), nothing in my past that would cause a DQ (at least nothing I can think of), I'm in above average physical condition and my heads on pretty straight.

I'm very motivated to get back into LE, which I had to set aside in order to attend to family needs. I just think it's a real drag that I am not hire-able by most departments in Indiana. It would be great if I could get on at the county, however, they don't hire very many deputies, so I know those jobs are pretty tough to get when they do come up.

On a positive note, I will be going through round one with the Hendricks County Sheriff's Department this Saturday, with the physical fitness assessment and have my sights set on getting on with them (my first choice). However, if this doesn't pan out, I'm looking for "Plan B".

I appreciate any help.

You may want to contact some city departments that you're interested in getting on with. I've heard that some will allow you to subtract a few years from your age based on your military service. Also, call the PERF board directly. You may also look into town marshals departments as they are generally their own retirement system. Hope this helps.
    Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Comment

Are you only looking in Indiana? There are other departments in other states that does not have age requirements.
      Originally posted by Smurfette_76
      You will always be disappointed when you expect rational behavior from irrational people.
      "I always carry a pen in my but, because you never know when things are going to crack off."
      Unnamed inmate VCJ

Comment

Originally posted by towncop View Post
        You may want to contact some city departments that you're interested in getting on with. I've heard that some will allow you to subtract a few years from your age based on your military service. Also, call the PERF board directly. You may also look into town marshals departments as they are generally their own retirement system. Hope this helps.
        I remember hearing somewhere that they will subtract 1 year of age for every 2 years of military service..obviously nothing that is prtocol, just remember hearing that somewhere.
        Im pretty much amazing. Just ask anyone about me, im kinda a big deal. I have many leather bound books and my house smells rich of mahogany.

Comment

Best of luck on your testing with Hendricks Co. Its a nice county with a ton of new growth out there. Keep us posted on your progress.

Comment

Originally posted by WannaB1 View Post

On a positive note, I will be going through round one with the Hendricks County Sheriff's Department this Saturday, with the physical fitness assessment and have my sights set on getting on with them (my first choice). However, if this doesn't pan out, I'm looking for "Plan B".

I appreciate any help.

I thought it was funny that HCSD requires a 2 year degree.
            Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

Comment

HCSD just got a nice pay bump, in the order of $10k.

Comment

try the state capitol police in down town indy. we don't have an age restriction.
                Sometimes there's justice! Sometimes there is just US!

Comment

Hi Everyone,

I sure appreciate all the suggestions and support.

Miller76, I have heard about the Capitol State Police before, as far as not having an age restriction, however, I can't seem to find anything about them on the internet. The in.gov site says the page is not working. Any ideas on where I can get more info on them?

Thanks again!

Comment

miller76, I just checked with them myself and they said they aren't hiring. any way and ILEA certified guy can get on?

Comment

Took the PT test for HCSD yesterday and passed.

Thanks for everyones help.
                      Last edited by WannaB1; 03-24-2008, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Edited. See below.
                        Last edited by towncop; 01-20-2008, 09:52 PM. Reason: Wrong Date.

Comment

Greenwood is taking apps til the 31st. Yes they are on IPP/PERF.

"The Greenwood Police Department is accepting applications for entry-level Patrol Officer positions beginning December 3, 2007. The application deadline is January 31, 2008.

Applications may be picked up at City of Greenwood Human Resources Department or printed on-line at http://www.greenwood.in.gov/.

Completed applications must be delivered in person to the Human Resources Department at 2 N. Madison Ave., Monday thru Friday from 8:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M.

If you have any questions, please call the Human Resources Department at 317-887-5604. "

Last edited by JSX1043; 01-20-2008, 09:27 PM. Reason: Add'l Info

Comment

My bad. You're right. Heck I even posted that info in a thread here a few weeks ago. Must have been another agency. I thought that they were on PERF. Sorry WannaB1.

Comment

They have been pulling guys out of the trooper process when they have left over alternates. So I don't really know how to tell you to go about getting on.
                              Sometimes there's justice! Sometimes there is just US!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4202 users online. 263 members and 3939 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X