300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changes to 77 PERF

I saw on a thread here earlier that county sheriff's deputies do not have an age limit. The idea was that there was a change to PERF effective July 1st. My question is has the age limit been changed at all for the 1977 Firefigters and Police Pension, from 36 to 40 years old? I searched through some of the legislation online (yawn) and couldn't find anything. Any help would be appreciated.

Senate Bill 0116
    http://www.in.gov/legislative/bills/.../IN0116.1.html
    Last edited by Ten Six; 06-13-2007, 08:49 AM.

Comment

I answered my own question. I got a response from my state senator (Connie Lawson).

The bill failed to pass that would have raised the age limit from 36 to 40.

Comment

Originally posted by lemmein71 View Post
        I answered my own question. I got a response from my state senator (Connie Lawson).

The bill failed to pass that would have raised the age limit from 36 to 40.
        That bites. I was just looking for it but there is no mention it failed. This topic was batted back and forth in the early to mid 90's.

Comment

Here is why the Bill failed:

The Indiana Fire Fighters Association, whose members are the local
          units, does not support the change in the age requirement. Without
          their support, it is doubtful that this provision would be adopted.

There have been attempts to change the age off and on for many years.
          There was a constitutional challenge, and the Association won.

You might want to write them and advise them of your concerns on this
          issue.
          I have given your e-mail to Senator Lawson.

Comment

Leave it to the freakin' firemen to screw something up. I knew there was a reason that I CAN NOT STAND FIREMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
            Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Comment

I may have to go smack the one that lives across the street from me. Just kidding. I will be contacting Senator Drozda (Bill Sponsor) to see what else can be done. It's probably too late for me, but the whole 36 year age limit is BS. I have friends from out of state agencies that can't believe we restrict it that low.

Comment

Originally posted by towncop View Post
                Leave it to the freakin' firemen to screw something up. I knew there was a reason that I CAN NOT STAND FIREMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                I'm picking up a negative vibe, Townie! I see you have some issues with firemen.

However, I sure wouldn't mind having one of those positions here at Crane. Full-time, government jobs. The station I drive by on my way to my building has a basketball goal, gas grill and DishNetwork dish out front. How do I get one of those jobs?? But, they do work 24 hours shifts, I think. Gotta eat.

Comment

Originally posted by lemmein71 View Post
                  I may have to go smack the one that lives across the street from me. Just kidding. I will be contacting Senator Drozda (Bill Sponsor) to see what else can be done. It's probably too late for me, but the whole 36 year age limit is BS. I have friends from out of state agencies that can't believe we restrict it that low.
                  I bet it has something to do with the heart attack risk. I read that over half of all firefighter deaths are due to heart related causes. Still sucks that it is that low though.

Comment

I suspect there is a political agenda in play. Now days, 40 years old is not a big deal. The variation in medical risk factors between the ages of 35 and 40 are inconsequential.

Comment

Here in Ohio most places restrict at 36, however some places even go lower than that. I've seen some cities cutoff at 31. That is just plain stupid.

Comment

I'll bet there is an Actuary reason for the firefighters to be against this. I'll post more after talking to Sen. Drozda.

ISP goes to 40, Counties have no age limit, neither do non 77 PERF departments. Probably the only way around it would be to unmarry the Firefighter Pension from the Police Pension.

Comment

Technically, a 1977 PEFF FD/PD can hire you under another PERF program. They won’t do it but they can.

Comment

Basically, after doing a financial analysis, the cost to the plan would be more expensive. Here's a link the the financial impact statement of the bill....

I wonder if the FOP took any stance on this bill?

http://www.in.gov/legislative/bills/...SB0116.001.pdf

The document itself is thin on evidence. It said that hiring someone at 40 instead of 36, there would be a decrease in retirement payout but it would be more than offset by EXPECTED disabilty payouts.
                            Last edited by lemmein71; 06-13-2007, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Turns out that there were a few firefighters who actually got the Bill started (I heard back from Senator Drozda). The lobbyist for IFA got it killed.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4293 users online. 263 members and 4030 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X