300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EVOC Training for Reserves?

I was wondering if anyone could tell me whether or not EVOC training is included in the required 40 hours? If not, are there options for the Reserve Officer to get training at their own expense?

In my area alot of Deputies get a bad feeling for Reserves because they lack the firearm and EVOC training. I do not want to put the Deputies or myself in a bad position because I lack training. I want all I can get.

Thanks for the time.

As a former reserve I can tell you that the state does not require EVO as part of the minimum training that reserves get. Different departments do things differently and some offer a "Reserve Academy" that goes into depth in a lot of different training areas including EVO. The 40 hour pre-basic course that the state requires is the exact same training that is mandated of all new officers who are sworn in and actively working the road before they go to the academy. It includes 24 hours of law instruction and 8 hours of defensive tactics and 8 hours of firearms. Hope this helps!

Comment

Our department does not have Reserves, but the neighboring department does. Our officers go to training, what seems like once a month. All officers from our department and the neighboring one went to EVOC training in Plainfield, they invited their reserves to come along. So I guess it all depends on the department you are with. I say if you know your department is going to have training, ask to join in.
      Your mom...

Comment

not sure on your specific dpt, however some dpts do offer training, and others do not...fwpd does offer evoc to their reserve recruits while in the reserve academy, however once out of the academy, its very scarce...hell a fwpd reserve isnt allowed to become bike certified, but i would think thats a whole other story...midcareer, familyman??
        Im pretty much amazing. Just ask anyone about me, im kinda a big deal. I have many leather bound books and my house smells rich of mahogany.

Comment

Thank you for the replies and advice. I really do appreciate it. The area I am looking in is up north around Howard/Tipton County. I am currently in the BI stage now. I know if chosen I would be doing the required 40 hours but I never heard anything about EVOC training being included. I talked with a few HCSD Deputies and they wished their Reserves had more firearms training and EVOC training. It's a risk thing and I can understand where they are coming from. I would want to be trained as much as possible so that I won't be 'That Guy' that puts Deputies as risk. Does that make sense?

Again, thank you for the time to respond. Stay safe.
          Last edited by OnAJourney; 05-12-2007, 10:43 PM. Reason: no reason

Comment

Originally posted by OnAJourney View Post
            Thank you for the replies and advice. I really do appreciate it. The area I am looking in is up north around Howard/Tipton County. I am currently in the BI stage now. I know if chosen I would be doing the required 40 hours but I never heard anything about EVOC training being included. I talked with a few HCSD Deputies and they wished their Reserves had more firearms training and EVOC training. It's a risk thing and I can understand where they are coming from. I would want to be trained as much as possible so that I won't be 'That Guy' that puts Deputies as risk. Does that make sense?

Again, thank you for the time to respond. Stay safe.
            nothing wrong with wanting more training..however budget constraints, politics and sometimes even those three initials, starting with p, ending with a, dictate to where manpower and finances are directed, and unfortunately training, including evoc isnt a primary concern with some dpts(other than the bare minimum)...good luck with your endeavors...
            Im pretty much amazing. Just ask anyone about me, im kinda a big deal. I have many leather bound books and my house smells rich of mahogany.

Comment

Exactly. Up here there are not a lot of agencies that use reserves, but out of the three that I know that do, not a one offers or requires EVO as part of that, mostly because the dept. simply cannot afford it.

You would do well to look into additional driving schools, car control, racing schools on your own to gain some of that knowledge as well (Skip Barber, etc) but they are $$.
              And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.”- Romans 8:28

Comment

I understand if the department cannot afford it. I am all for purchasing my own training if I am allowed. Just a matter of finding out who to talk to and where the training is located at.

I appreciate your feedback and I will do some searching for driving schools in a few. Hopefully something concrete comes up.

Stay safe.

Comment

Originally posted by pc2761 View Post
                  not sure on your specific dpt, however some dpts do offer training, and others do not...fwpd does offer evoc to their reserve recruits while in the reserve academy, however once out of the academy, its very scarce...hell a fwpd reserve isnt allowed to become bike certified, but i would think thats a whole other story...midcareer, familyman??
                  I don't like wearing bike short anyways!!!!

nothing wrong with wanting more training..however budget constraints, politics and sometimes even those three initials, starting with p, ending with a, dictate to where manpower and finances are directed, and unfortunately training, including evoc isnt a primary concern with some dpts(other than the bare minimum)...good luck with your endeavors...
                  Com'on know, you can put the "B" in there. No one is going to get you!!!
                  sigpic
                  "I can do ALL things through Christ which strengtheneth me." Philippians 4:13 (KJV)

Comment

Yes you stand correct, fwpd reserves does have evoc and a total of 480hrs of training. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the state go from 40 to 100 hrs for pre-basic? TOWNIE! if you're reading this NADSTER says hey!
                    Last edited by reserveherbst; 05-25-2007, 12:00 AM.
                    silentbutdeadly

Comment

Hey reserveherbst.......give NADSTER a shout for me! I miss that guy. To answer your question about the pre-basic, I just checked my state Rep's. website on all the bills that were passed this year and didn't see anything about it being raised. Nothing mentioned at all or on the ILEA website.
                      Last edited by towncop; 05-25-2007, 12:39 AM.
                      Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5578 users online. 320 members and 5258 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X