Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Out-of-Towner questions about IMPD

Hey everyone,

I'm from the Cleveland, Ohio area, signed up for the upcoming Indianapolis test, and was wondering if I could get some opinions/info from officers on the IMPD.

1 - How is morale among the officers?
    2 - How is the cost of living compaired to the current starting salary?
    3 - How many officers does the department hire on a yearly basis?
    4 - Is there anything about the city/department I should know before taking the time to apply?
    5 - How easy/hard is it to transfer into special units?
    6 - What are your feelings (positive/negative) towards the police department and the city?

Thank you for your time.

Originally posted by wdr2 View Post
    1 - How is morale among the officers? Seems good for the most part
    2 - How is the cost of living compaired to the current starting salary?I'm happy with it.
    3 - How many officers does the department hire on a yearly basis?Looks like 100-120 for now.
    4 - Is there anything about the city/department I should know before taking the time to apply?Like what?
    5 - How easy/hard is it to transfer into special units?Depends on which one you want. There are a TON of special units, some are harder than others to get on.
    6 - What are your feelings (positive/negative) towards the police department and the city?I'm still brand new, but I like it. Indy itself offers a lot. "Greenway" trails for walking and cycling, tons of sports related stuff, a decent zoo, theater, etc. Housing is easy to come by and there are nice places at reasonable prices.
    I miss you, Dave.
    http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Originally posted by wdr2 View Post
      Hey everyone,

I'm from the Cleveland, Ohio area, signed up for the upcoming Indianapolis test, and was wondering if I could get some opinions/info from officers on the IMPD.

1 - How is morale among the officers? Poor, however they just recieved a new contract which isan't bad at all. There are stil the 200 officers that are ****ed off about the merger and won't let it go. They will have a bad attitude
      until they retire.

2 - How is the cost of living compaired to the current starting salary? The
      Indianapolis area has a very low cost of living compared to other places in the country. Average for the midwest

3 - How many officers does the department hire on a yearly basis? 100-140
      they are going to be running 2 academies per year for atleast the next 3 years...the Sheriff has a wish list of 900 more officers...that isant realistic b/c there are 120ish ppl retiring just in 2007 alone. So this year's classes are only going to replacing officers. They will be able to start building number in the 2008 academies.

4 - Is there anything about the city/department I should know before taking the time to apply? [I] Crime is out of control in Marion County, highest it has ever been.....shots fired runs are about as common as burglar alarms in other parts of Indiana.....
      5 - How easy/hard is it to transfer into special units? Some are easy...some are hard ...IMPD has a lot of different units...everything you could imagine...they have a new unit called S.L.E.D. which stands for Street Level Enforcement Detail....they ride around in unmarked cars with assault rifles slung over their back...pretty bad***** if you ask me....
      6 - What are your feelings (positive/negative) towards the police department and the city? I worked for IPD in many different forms and I left before the merger to finished my degree and I got hired by a department in Hamilton County....My feeling are very positive in that it was a great place to work. I miss it enough that I plan on returning in 2008 if I don't get picked up by a federal agency...

Thank you for your time.
      Rest in Peace I.P.D.

Comment

Operator, were you ever in a sworn capacity for IPD? For your Hamilton Co. agency? Just trying to get a grip on your "opinions" for the original poster. A non-sworn opinion is quite different than a sworn one.

Comment

I think someone needs to get their facts straight about IMPD. One, we don't have a contract yet. We voted to accept the contract that was offered to us, but so far it has not been put into effect. And no, it isn't that great of a contract because we received 0% for '06 and '07. Two, the SLED unit officers all drive marked cars and if they have rifles, they are either carried in a mount in the car or in a case in the trunk. I don't know if you were being facetious, but if you were being serious you need to find another source of intel to rely on.

Comment

Originally posted by IMPDNE View Post
            I think someone needs to get their facts straight about IMPD. One, we don't have a contract yet. We voted to accept the contract that was offered to us, but so far it has not been put into effect. And no, it isn't that great of a contract because we received 0% for '06 and '07. Two, the SLED unit officers all drive marked cars and if they have rifles, they are either carried in a mount in the car or in a case in the trunk. I don't know if you were being facetious, but if you were being serious you need to find another source of intel to rely on.
            My "intel" was them backing my buddy up on an Alarm when I was riding with him. They were driving an umarked white Ford Explorer. They were wearing tac uniforms and had patrol rifles with them....not locked up...but maybe it wasn't a SLED unit...i thought it was but maybe I'm wrong....
            And my intel is pretty good. One is a Shift LT and another is on your shift!!!
            but hey, I'm wrong!
            Last edited by operator48; 05-11-2007, 06:39 PM.
            Rest in Peace I.P.D.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. Also, do you start out in patrol or in the jail now that the 2 depts mergered?

Comment

Patrol, if you apply for Police Officer for IMPD. MCSD runs the jail
                But maybe i shouldn't answer!!! better verify with IMPDNE haha.
                Rest in Peace I.P.D.

Comment

Originally posted by operator48 View Post
                  But maybe i shouldn't answer!!! better verify with IMPDNE haha.
                  You can answer all the questions you want, you obviously have 2 good sources of information.

Comment

Originally posted by IMPDNE View Post
                    Awesome use of using my favorite word "facetious!" Props to you!
                    Your mom...

Comment

Originally posted by Christyle View Post
                      Awesome use of using my favorite word "facetious!" Props to you!
                      You should see his reports, they are exquisite!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5897 users online. 318 members and 5579 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X