300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Older Guys Can't Get Jobs?

I was looking thru some job postings on a jobs website, most all say that applicants have to be between 21-35 years old. I'm 40, so I guess I can't be hired in Indiana anymore?

Check your Michigan Thread.
    There is no greater love - than that of a man - that will give his life for another.

If God carried a gun - it would be a 1911

Comment

I have been told there is a bill in the state legislator that would move the age to 40 However I doubt it will pass in time to help you. SORRY
      Originally posted by Smurfette_76
      You will always be disappointed when you expect rational behavior from irrational people.
      "I always carry a pen in my but, because you never know when things are going to crack off."
      Unnamed inmate VCJ

Comment

Do not give up hope. Many county agencies do not have the age cap. It is my understanding it depends on what retirement plan the department has.

Good Luck. I am 45, and although options are limited, I have not given up hope completely....
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        In Memory of Staff Sgt. Matt Kimmell
        United States Army
        5th Special Forces Group
        Former Deputy Sheriff, Vanderburgh County
        Killed in Iraq October 11, 2005
        Sometimes I wonder, who you'd be today!!
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.tryfreemasonry.org

Real men wear aprons..

Comment

Originally posted by bigj8550 View Post
          I have been told there is a bill in the state legislator that would move the age to 40 However I doubt it will pass in time to help you. SORRY
          July 1, 2007. Indiana Sheriff's Departments do not have an age cap.

Comment

You aren't PERF eligible any longer, so you can't start for a department that uses PERF as the retirement program. As others have mentioned there are departments that have other pension funds that may not have age requirements.

I don't know how far ranging you are looking, but Louisville Metro in Kentucky doesn't have an age cap for applicants.
            I miss you, Dave.
            http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Thanks for the info Ten Six!! I was unaware that had passed. Good news!
              Originally posted by Smurfette_76
              You will always be disappointed when you expect rational behavior from irrational people.
              "I always carry a pen in my but, because you never know when things are going to crack off."
              Unnamed inmate VCJ

Comment

I'm 42 and just got hired. You just have to look around. Most Sheriff's Departments will take an older candidate and many Town Marshals will take you as well. It all depends on the retirement system as that is what drives the age requirement. If an agency is still on civilian PERF instead and the '77 PERF, there usually isn't an age requirement.
                "Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide."
                John Adams, April 15, 1814

Comment

I am 45 and got hired last year full time. We are going to the Age restricted PERF next year. ( What ever its called) If I understand it they use some sort of a grandfather clause after a physical etc. Don't really matter to me , I have a nice 401k from my 1st career so the PERF is a added benefit. Don't let the age keep you away.
                  "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

In the future try the Gaming Dept, Excise, or Conservation they do not have an age cap.

Comment

FYI - Marshall County SD (Plymouth, IN is currently accepting apps, and I don't believe they have an age limit.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5855 users online. 307 members and 5548 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X