Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indiana dunes beach

Hey,
    I've never been to the beaches or Indiana Dunes in northern Indiana, but am thinking about it this summer. How does it compare to Panama City (other than the obvious white sands, more beach, weather etc.) Since this is the only beach I've been to? Is one city better than another to stay in? Any hotel/ rental recommendations? We were hoping to visit the area while there (Notre Dame, some zoo's etc.) And with that said any recommendations of good things for the family to do? Any feedback is appreciated! Thought some like minded cops could help.

Thanks.

Panama City.... It ain't...... at all.
    SPSC 262

Comment

Definitely not like Panama City. For the better sand beaches you need to head up to west Michigan. I am from NWI so I figured I could assist. For the Dunes, you will want to stay in either Chesterton or Michigan City. MC has a better variety of restaurants as well as having the outlet mall there. For the actual beach, I believe MC beach is public. In Porter County, you can go to the Dunes National Park beaches (3 of them) or the Indiana Dunes State Park Beach (Fee to park). I would avoid the state park if you are coming on a weekend as it gets overcrowded from all the Chicago / Illinois folks. Locals don't even go to the beach up here on weekends due to this reason. I would also avoid Gary, Hammond, East Chicago. If you want to know further, PM me. Either Chesterton or Mich City are close to the toll road which is a 45 min drive to Notre Dame. Its definitely worth the trip to walk around the campus for a couple hours. South Bend has a small zoo as does Michigan City. South Bend's is a little bit bigger but you will need to venture into Chicago (Lincoln Park or Brookfield) for a true large zoo. Also if you still want to sight see, Chicago is also a 40 minute drive from Chesterton. Navy Pier, Lincoln Park Zoo (free), Mag Mile shopping, etc. Any other questions, just ask. But Overall, I would look at hotels in Michigan City, Chesterton. Valparaiso is also a nice place to stay/visit/eat, but its a little further away from the lake.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. If we decide to go there we'll have to look at Chesterton! I didn't know if there was a beach community around there that rented out places in a good crime free area or not. I didn't realize that city is only 40-45 mins from both Chicago and ND. Makes it more appealing. Thanks again and if anyone thinks of more to add feel free to share. Any questions of Southwest IN send them my way and I'll see how I can answer.

Comment

One of my favorite spots to escape the Southside of Chicago is the Indiana Dunes and also Michigan Dunes (specifically Warren Dunes State Park in Sawyer, MI). It's only 80 miles from Chicago in Lower Southwest, MI If you get a chance I think it's worth checking out!

Comment

In the area, specifically closer to South Bend area, is there some fun things to do? Family wise other than visiting ND of course. Thanks!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4086 users online. 258 members and 3828 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X