300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MCSD Academy Questions

I am going to be going to the MCSD Academy soon can someone tell me how it is? Do I need to start running? How is it different from IMPD Academy?

Also can someone tell me what the difference is between a Marion County Sheriff Deputy and Marion County Special Deputy? I would like to know anything and everything about them. Police powers on duty,respect from other leo's while off duty.Difference in badges.

I thought some special deputies would chime in, but I will tell you what I can.

The academy is short. Two came and went while I was doing my IMPD academy. I don't know how much they ran, but they appeared to do some type of PT each day. They were in the gym each morning in their sweats with a little row of water bottles and oranges along the wall.

Since the merger the regular sheriff's deputies are now IMPD officers and wear the IMPD badge, but they had a slightly different star than the special deputies before the merger. Specials have an extra point on the star.

It is my understanding that specials have full police powers. Just a guess, but I think how much respect you get will depend on the person you are dealing with and how you present yourself.
    I miss you, Dave.
    http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Congrats on the academy Mr. Class

Comment

PT is a part of the academy, but since we do not recieve ILEA certification from the course, passing at the end is not required. Hopefully, someday, that will change.

ID cards for MCSD employees say "Deputy Sheriff", those that work for security companies and other organizations says "Special Deputy". MCSD employees have full police powers 24/7, non-employees only have them when on duty. It's nice because you can react if something happens and it allows officers to work part-time to supplement income.

The uniforms for both employees and non-employees that attend the 9 week course are solid brown with a "six point" badge and patch. The exceptions are school police, they all have different uniforms. Only MCSD Deputies that have completed either a reserve academy or ILEA and have some type of "road school" can wear the "merit" uniform, which is the brown over tan with the five point badge and patch.

As for respect, it all depends on two things, your conduct and the attitude of the merit officer you're dealing with. Some merit officers don't care how you conduct yourself, to them, you're beneth them. Luckily, those guys are few and far between. Most officers treat you with respect if you conduct yourself accordingly.

I'm currently an MCSD Deputy, if you have questions, let me know.
        Last edited by 3Charles501; 04-27-2007, 10:28 PM. Reason: forgot something

Comment

Originally posted by boeingleo View Post
          I am going to be going to the MCSD Academy soon can someone tell me how it is? Do I need to start running? How is it different from IMPD Academy?

Also can someone tell me what the difference is between a Marion County Sheriff Deputy and Marion County Special Deputy? I would like to know anything and everything about them. Police powers on duty,respect from other leo's while off duty.Difference in badges.
          Here's the low down, i just got done with the academy. I would start running, if you dont the first week will be hell. You PT every day the first week then rotate pt and dt thereafter. Have fun, haha. We have full police powers, our id says deputy sheriff and so does our badge. The respect seems to be pretty good for the most part, if you look and act like you have a brain, you will usually get respect. Good luck.

Comment

As a Special Deputy Marion County Sheriff, you have 24/7 police powers. Although MCSD does not like when Special Deputies get involved or stir up stuff when off duty. You have opportunities to be a wagon driver, evidence technician and other positions. You are not out patrolling the streets, or responding to calls for service. That is for the IMPD folks. ILEA does not recognize you as a POLICE OFFICER. You badge only gives you police powers in Marion County. Take your firearm outside of mc and you need a handgun permit. Some Special Deputies get take home cars.
            Hope that answers some questions!
            Rest in Peace I.P.D.

Comment

We are recognized as police officers outside the county, common misconception.

Comment

Originally posted by operator48 View Post
                As a Special Deputy Marion County Sheriff, you have 24/7 police powers. Although MCSD does not like when Special Deputies get involved or stir up stuff when off duty. You have opportunities to be a wagon driver, evidence technician and other positions. You are not out patrolling the streets, or responding to calls for service. That is for the IMPD folks. ILEA does not recognize you as a POLICE OFFICER. You badge only gives you police powers in Marion County. Take your firearm outside of mc and you need a handgun permit. Some Special Deputies get take home cars.
                That is far from the truth. You can work off duty, which would allow you to make arrests outside of your shift. Also, you do have full police powers statewide, and you can carry your weapon concealed anywhere is the US under the Police Concealed carry law. Our ID says Deputy Sheriff, which is what we are. Our near 400 hrs of training is ILETA certified.

Comment

Originally posted by operator48 View Post
                  wrong try again...also check your spelling.....

Comment

No I am not incorrect.
                    If we are talking about non-merit police employee's (special deputy sheriff)
                    then they have powers in MARION COUNTY ONLY.
                    If we are talking about a MERIT DEPUTY SHERIFF...then yes they are police officers in the state and are recognized as one by the ILEA BOARD.
                    Rest in Peace I.P.D.

Comment

Originally posted by BR2125 View Post
                      That is far from the truth. You can work off duty, which would allow you to make arrests outside of your shift. Also, you do have full police powers statewide, and you can carry your weapon concealed anywhere is the US under the Police Concealed carry law. Our ID says Deputy Sheriff, which is what we are. Our near 400 hrs of training is ILETA certified.
                      Ok, I never said that MARION COUNTY SPECIAL DEPUTY sheriffs don't have police powers off duty. It is just frowned upon by the rank to stir stuff up off duty. A guy I Know who is a SPECIAL DEPUTY SHERIFF works part-time at gas stations and such.
                      Now, if you are classified as a MERIT MARION COUNTY DEPUTY SHERIFF....
                      Then yes you are a police officer.
                      I believe we need to seperate "non merit police employee" (Special Deputy Sheriff) from "Merit police employee" (Deputy Sheriff)...
                      Rest in Peace I.P.D.

Comment

Operator, our training is not recognized by the ILETB if we are hired by another agency. Just like a reserve academy doesn't not qualify someone to work without ILEA. We are by Indiana law recognized as police officers anywhere in the state of Indiana. Business Special Deputies do not have authority outside Marion County, but non-merit Deputies employed by MCSD do have the same powers as every other cop and we are recognized outside Marion County.

I know this because I checked with MCSD and ILEA, we can carry anywhere and arrest anywhere in the state. My family lives several hours away in another part of the state, I checked with the agencies in that area, even they said that I can carry without a permit, I just needed my department ID. WE ARE police officers.

Stop opening your mouth before you know the facts.

Comment

There are no more "merit" deputies on Marion County. They no longer hire for the position.

Comment

Originally posted by 3Charles501 View Post
                            Operator, our training is not recognized by the ILETB if we are hired by another agency. Just like a reserve academy doesn't not qualify someone to work without ILEA. We are by Indiana law recognized as police officers anywhere in the state of Indiana. Business Special Deputies do not have authority outside Marion County, but non-merit Deputies employed by MCSD do have the same powers as every other cop and we are recognized outside Marion County.

I know this because I checked with MCSD and ILEA, we can carry anywhere and arrest anywhere in the state. My family lives several hours away in another part of the state, I checked with the agencies in that area, even they said that I can carry without a permit, I just needed my department ID. WE ARE police officers.

Stop opening your mouth before you know the facts.
                            WRONG!!!!!!
                            Im pretty much amazing. Just ask anyone about me, im kinda a big deal. I have many leather bound books and my house smells rich of mahogany.

Comment

Goodness gracious...
                              Your mom...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2971 users online. 136 members and 2835 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X