X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • navy80
    Forum Member
    • Dec 2006

Best LE departments in Indiana

I am wondering what the best Le jobs are in Indiana. I am getting out of the military soon and want to make sure i make the right decision on where to apply. I have my own list just from there internet sites but thats all i know and i dont want to base my decisions off that. How does the State Police compare to some local PD's. I would rather work anywhere south of indy but i am going to take what i can get. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
  • bigj8550
    Jolly Green Giant
    • Aug 2006

Man the only way to really know for sure if you are going to like the department is to get to know some people and go on ride alongs with the departments officers. Different people like different things. So what I call a great department may only be marginal to you.
    Originally posted by Smurfette_76
    You will always be disappointed when you expect rational behavior from irrational people.
    "I always carry a pen in my but, because you never know when things are going to crack off."
    Unnamed inmate VCJ

Comment

• towncop
      RETIRED
      • Jan 2005

Yeah, you're not going to get a definitive answer here on this board. Different strokes for different folks.
      Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Comment

• OffDuty
        Stranger with good candy
        • Jan 2003

...or South.

Pension in IN is about the worst in the country. About 14K a year at my agency if you can do 20 and out. Had a Lt. left last year who did that, moved to FL. He works with an ex NYPD guy who did the 20 and out and he is sitting on about 45K a year pension with the same 20 and out. Who wasted his time?

Florida or Arizona would be my goal.
        And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.”- Romans 8:28

Comment

• Harmonicamaster
          Forum Member
          • Apr 2007

I heard from a trooper that the pension thing is getting ready to change alot for the better. Does anybody know the national consenus on the ISP? Are they **** hot or just another also ran

Comment

• navy80
            Forum Member
            • Dec 2006

WOW...i never thought about pension, but Indiana is my home and i cant wait to go back. I know some departments pay pretty good, and the ISP pays good. thanks for the replies,
            Your right about the departments, but is there any one not to apply to, im not trying to start anything just doing some research.

Comment

• bigj8550
              Jolly Green Giant
              • Aug 2006

Do you want to be slow or busy all the time? Is being close to home more important than pay to you? ISP is probably the best all around for local you want with good pay if you don't live in a big city.
              You will always be disappointed when you expect rational behavior from irrational people.
              "I always carry a pen in my but, because you never know when things are going to crack off."
              Unnamed inmate VCJ

Comment

• towncop
                RETIRED
                • Jan 2005

I'm not going to agree with you on ISP being the best all-around bigj. There are plenty of other smaller agencies that pay much better. A good one is New Albany, just across the river from Louisville. After the first year, they are one of the highest paying departments in Indiana. Another good local one is Carmel. After 5 years, you'd be making around 45K. Not bitter with ISP, just pointing people in other directions cause ISP isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread.
                Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Comment

• pc2761
                  difference maker
                  • Mar 2007

FWPD pays roughly 53,000 your second yr. I see IMPD got a new contract that includes an overall raise of 12% in the next 3years... should put a 3rd year impd officer at or around 55-56? not bad.. Also heard W.Lafayette pays well also..all depends what one wants.
                  Im pretty much amazing. Just ask anyone about me, im kinda a big deal. I have many leather bound books and my house smells rich of mahogany.

Comment

• GentleGiant
                    Forum Member
                    • Jan 2007

Personally, I think there is something to be said for the overall fitness of a department; afterall, who would be covering your butt in a jam? I must say, I think Bloomington PD is the, shall I say buffest, police department that I have ever seen (ISP included). They require that their officers maintain the fitness levels throughout their career, as opposed to most forces that require it only while in the academy.

I actually was in the company the other day by a bunch of folks who had gotten arrested over Little 500 weekend here in Bloomington, many from out of town, and they echoed the same thing. Namely, that they had not seen a whole group of officers in which there was not a single one who fit the "donut shop" mold or physique.
                    "You can just go ahead and common sense your way out of this conundrum!"

Comment

• Ten Six

Hey... BPD is not the only PD in town. ;-) If you were talking about cops at Little 500 that was IUPD not BPD. Every since BPD changed their uniforms and car color, people don’t realize there are two PD’s in town. BPD’s uniforms and cars are almost identical to IUPD. They look just like us now. And now the new ISP cars look very simlar to ours and that confuses people even more.
                      Last edited by Guest; 04-24-2007, 09:22 PM.

Comment

• CruiserClass
                        Forum Member
                        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by pc2761
                        I see IMPD got a new contract that includes an overall raise of 12% in the next 3years... should put a 3rd year impd officer at or around 55-56?
                        $58,005 for a 3rd year patrolman after all the raises on the current contract.
                        I miss you, Dave.
                        http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

• bigj8550
                          Jolly Green Giant
                          • Aug 2006

As you can see my first post was correct. It all comes down to what you want in a work enviorment. I have my reasons for wanting to work for Isp that have to do with local. However I also like EPD because of its local and other reasons. On the subject Nashville metro pd Is also on my list due to local. what do you want from your pd?
                          Unnamed inmate VCJ

Comment

• SW Indiana
                            Forum Member
                            • Mar 2006

ISP has always been tops on my list because:

I want decent pay

I want to work for a good, solid department

I want freedom to roam. By this, I don't want to be locked into beat, city or county lines. Although troopers are generally ***igned to specific counties, they are readily available to respond to other areas. For example, in last week's ISP report in the local paper, I saw one specific trooper that made arrests in Daviess AND Perry counties while working traffic within the same week. These two counties are 30-45 driving minutes apart from each other (they are not linked by interstates, either). I'd enjoy bouncing around like that if given the opportunity.

Comment

• GentleGiant
                              Forum Member
                              • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Ten Six
                              Hey... BPD is not the only PD in town. ;-) If you were talking about cops at Little 500 that was IUPD not BPD. Every since BPD changed their uniforms and car color, people don’t realize there are two PD’s in town. BPD’s uniforms and cars are almost identical to IUPD. They look just like us now. And now the new ISP cars look very simlar to ours and that confuses people even more.
                              Ten Six - no disrespect intended! You are absolutely right. IUPD does not get enough credit for its first-rate professionalism, cohesion and fitness. It is truly a department to be looked toward as a leader in the state, no doubt.
                              "You can just go ahead and common sense your way out of this conundrum!"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12200 users online. 72 members and 12128 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...