Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best LE departments in Indiana

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by Familyman View Post
    FWPD is a good department to work for if you get in. The pay is very good and there's oportunity for part-time work. I wish that I was recieving that good pay but I'm just a reserve on the department. If you are already an officer, the chances of getting in are pretty good especially if you speak spanish. You get a take-home car in two years or less. But you know, this is only MYopinion on this department. You will probably get different views on it.
    I would agree in saying fwpd is an excellent dpt to work for. Unfortunately Fort Wayne is stuck...they seem to have a big city attitude, yet continue to practice small town politics...fort wayne is a good city to live, cost of living wise, however fwcs and harrison square will soon change that. Again its getting on thats the hard part. Devildog whats the update?
    Im pretty much amazing. Just ask anyone about me, im kinda a big deal. I have many leather bound books and my house smells rich of mahogany.

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by OffDuty View Post
      What do you consider a "busy" department?
      It seems any Cop in Marion County is constantly chasing his radio, little time to be proactive before being put on a run........
      I know that MCSD was this way before the merger and now the entire new dept is like this...
      I'm sure IMPDNE will agree with this.
      State seems to be pretty busy especially in District 52.

      I bet some of the other higher crime city departments are like this also...South Bend, Gary, Bloomington...

      Pretty quiet in Hamilton County........**sighs***
      Rest in Peace I.P.D.

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by Familyman View Post
        FWPD is a good department to work for if you get in. The pay is very good and there's oportunity for part-time work. I wish that I was recieving that good pay but I'm just a reserve on the department. If you are already an officer, the chances of getting in are pretty good especially if you speak spanish. You get a take-home car in two years or less. But you know, this is only MYopinion on this department. You will probably get different views on it.
        What he said.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by Boxercop729 View Post
          Hey Midcareer can you expand on Columbus. What type of problems has he had? I know you can not be to detailed due to possible observation but just in general. I need this info more than I can explain! Thanks

          Let me put it to you this way. If you are an aggressive go-getter, you will not like this department. I've been told that aggressive ones do not last and the heat is put on them. Now, like I said, a relative works there and this person has said on more than one occasion they were told to "tame" certain go-getters. Take it for what it's worth kid, why the desperate need for this info? PM if you'd like.

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by operator48 View Post
            I bet some of the other higher crime city departments are like this also...South Bend, Gary, Bloomington...
            Buddy of mine is a SWAT supervisor in B-ton. He said that there are times when they don't have a call on his shift (afternoons) all day some Sundays.

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by MidCareer View Post
              Buddy of mine is a SWAT supervisor in B-ton. He said that there are times when they don't have a call on his shift (afternoons) all day some Sundays.
              I'm in Bloomington. Bloomington isn't isn't exactly Dodge City but we always find something to do. There are rare occasions when a call doesn't come in but that is very infrequently. I'm not sure in what context that comment was made.

              Comment


              • #37
                The context of the comment was during a training course I was at with this guy. Some officers from smaller departments were inquiring about BPD in regards to their last hiring process. He told them they could be busy, or sometimes they don't get a call all shift. Depends on the weather he said, or so it seems.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by operator48 View Post
                  It seems any Cop in Marion County is constantly chasing his radio, little time to be proactive before being put on a run........
                  I know that MCSD was this way before the merger and now the entire new dept is like this...
                  I'm sure IMPDNE will agree with this.
                  State seems to be pretty busy especially in District 52.

                  I bet some of the other higher crime city departments are like this also...South Bend, Gary, Bloomington...

                  Pretty quiet in Hamilton County........**sighs***
                  I work late shift so we have our busy nights and our slow nights. In the cold months we are pretty slow as far as dispatch runs go and proactivity depends on the officer. I like to stop cars to keep myself awake so if it isn't bitter cold I'll be out rolling.

                  Warmer months are hit or miss. On Thurs/Fri/Sat you can count on taking a fair amount of runs, and there are always a ton of people out. I have had several nights of going from run to run but it doesn't happen every night. Sunday is the unofficial mope day of rest so its rare to be really busy that night. All in all it depends on weather, payday, holidays, what events are going on in the city, etc. You can't pin the run load to just one cause.

                  As far as MCSD chasing the radio before the merge, they did a lot of that. They had a big area to cover with just a few deputies, and I personally took many runs with deputies when there was only one available to take a run that needed back-up. IPD wasn't as bad, but there were a few nights I worked when we had to have officers from other districts take runs on mine, especially if we had one or more major incidents going on.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    pm sent. Thanks

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by pc2761 View Post
                      I would agree in saying fwpd is an excellent dpt to work for. Unfortunately Fort Wayne is stuck...they seem to have a big city attitude, yet continue to practice small town politics...fort wayne is a good city to live, cost of living wise, however fwcs and harrison square will soon change that. Again its getting on thats the hard part. Devildog whats the update?
                      I appreciate the input everybody on FWPD, I just wanted to hear what the opinions were.

                      As far as my status, I got invited to the academy pending the approval of the PERF board. I can't wait to start the academy. I wonder how it will compare to Marine Corps boot camp, because call me crazy, but I actually enjoyed boot camp.

                      Also, I would like to hear about the PERF board and what the chances are of someone not getting approved by them if they have passed everything else. Thanks.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        MidCareer, did you say you are a FTO for FWPD?

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by operator48 View Post
                          chasing his radio, little time to be proactive before being put on a run........


                          I bet some of the other higher crime city departments are like this also...South Bend, Gary, Bloomington...

                          Pretty quiet in Hamilton County........**sighs***
                          I run my fuggin *** off up here. You are right. Most of my proactive stuff comes from work I do on OT grant funding hours.

                          I have a buddy who lives in Westfield trying to get me to move down there and away from SB for the reason you mention.
                          And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.”- Romans 8:28

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Just came across this old thread, but figured a response may still seem relevant today.

                            I saw EPD (Evansville Police) mentioned on here and thought I'd add my thoughts. Needless to say this is where I work and enjoy being a "cop" here. The question can vary by perception and mine is this: "if you want to play cops and robbers and chase bad guys every day, join EPD". Thats the words of county cop years ago to me. If you want to be a cop and dedicate your shift to being a first responder and taking multiple "hot" runs, then join a fairly populated municiple PD (EPD). We have multiple specialty units (gang,vice,narcotics,swat,k9,adult det, juv det, cpo, liason, auto theft, and many other here ad there spots) outside of patrol. Theres a good amount of room to move too with openings in these units yearly. We have just under 300 officers so theres always something changing and always something to do. Each sector of the city is different and allows you to always find something new.
                            We have a take home car program (but you likely won't get one the first few years), have an abundance of off-duty gigs to work, can live in an adjoining county, go to the academy here (taught by everyday cops), and many more things I can't think of at the moment. All in all, my point is if you want to do police work, this is a good place to work. I'm not touching on other variables aforementioned in other posts, just mainly the police work side. If you have other questions, our website has most of those answers. And no, I'm not a recruiter, I work patrol.

                            Comment

                            MR300x250 Tablet

                            Collapse

                            What's Going On

                            Collapse

                            There are currently 5475 users online. 371 members and 5104 guests.

                            Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                            Welcome Ad

                            Collapse
                            Working...
                            X