Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

+1 to that.. SBPD starting off at 40,800, and after 3 sitting on about 45 this year.. going up after next to near 47-and change. Not the top pay in the state, but better than most, and another thing to look at is supplemental income/OT ops, if you want. I do damn fine quite well for myself without busting *** on OT hours.

And as mentioned, do you want to be slow or busy? I am *** out busy because thats what I want- no smiling and waving time here.
    But maybe thats your thing, too.

Originally posted by towncop View Post
    I'm not going to agree with you on ISP being the best all-around bigj. There are plenty of other smaller agencies that pay much better. A good one is New Albany, just across the river from Louisville. After the first year, they are one of the highest paying departments in Indiana. Another good local one is Carmel. After 5 years, you'd be making around 45K. Not bitter with ISP, just pointing people in other directions cause ISP isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread.
    And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.”- Romans 8:28

Comment

Hell, I've never been to Evansville but everyone I have met from EPD (academy instructors, narcs, and beat cops, and Chuck the FTO program instuctor) have been nothing but professional, super nice and seem to like the place. It makes me jealous. So yeah, maybe EPD if youre looking downstate.

Originally posted by bigj8550 View Post
      As you can see my first post was correct. It all comes down to what you want in a work enviorment. I have my reasons for wanting to work for Isp that have to do with local. However I also like EPD because of its local and other reasons. On the subject Nashville metro pd Is also on my list due to local. what do you want from your pd?
      And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.”- Romans 8:28

Comment

I would like to stay busy for the most part. i see some good paying departments but is the cost of living that high too or what about good paying departments that the city is cheap to live in, if that makes sense.
        I am going to apply to at least 10 differ departments, not all departments hire at the same time and some only once a year so that will throw some off my list when the time comes. heres my list

Isp
        Carmel
        Columbus
        Fishers
        N. Albany
        Bloomington
        Evansville
        T. Haute
        Lafayette
        Ft. Wayne

I think i should expand my list to 15, im curious to how many apps. everyone else put in, are mine too many?

Comment

Originally posted by GentleGiant View Post
          Personally, I think there is something to be said for the overall fitness of a department; afterall, who would be covering your butt in a jam? I must say, I think Bloomington PD is the, shall I say buffest, police department that I have ever seen (ISP included). They require that their officers maintain the fitness levels throughout their career, as opposed to most forces that require it only while in the academy.

I actually was in the company the other day by a bunch of folks who had gotten arrested over Little 500 weekend here in Bloomington, many from out of town, and they echoed the same thing. Namely, that they had not seen a whole group of officers in which there was not a single one who fit the "donut shop" mold or physique.
          I worked for BPD from 99-02 and unless they changed their policies, there was never a requirement to maintain fitness levels. It has been 5 years since I left though, so change is possible.

BPD was a decent department to work for. I'm not sure what the pay scale is now so I can't comment on it. The equipment is good, with half the fleet replaced every year. Most of the cars had cameras in them. They switched from Sig P226's to Glock 17's as the issued weapon. Depending on the day/week/month and which area you worked you could be busy or slow. A lot of OT available with Little 500 12 hour shifts, and seatbelt and DUI grants. They also have a motorcycle unit now that they didn't have when I was there. I still have contacts in the department that I can call for more information if anyone needs any.
          Last edited by IMPDNE; 04-26-2007, 08:31 AM. Reason: Added info

Comment

I have three apps out right now. I am in process for two at the moment waiting on the third to start the process. A buddy of mine Works for Fisher pd and likes it a lot. He has told me they have there busy times. But they are slow either. A happy medium.
            Originally posted by Smurfette_76
            You will always be disappointed when you expect rational behavior from irrational people.
            "I always carry a pen in my but, because you never know when things are going to crack off."
            Unnamed inmate VCJ

Comment

Where's your third app at bigj? If you don't mind saying. Since being cut from ISP, I have since decided to stick with my current agency for awhile and try to get my Master Instructor rating, which will take a couple of years I'm sure.
              Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Comment

What do you consider a "busy" department?

Comment

My third app is with Nashville metro PD. My wife Really loves Tn. and really Wants to move down there. After The background she told me if you don't make with ISP why not apply to some where I know I want to move to. I said ok because a marriage is 50/50 So Nashville PD it is.

As for What I condsider busy if this is in referance to fishers I am only quoting my old high school friend. I have never been there so I cannot say for myself. Busy to me is having another call come up for you just after you finished the one before. Where you just have enough time inbetween calls to pee!!
                  Originally posted by Smurfette_76
                  You will always be disappointed when you expect rational behavior from irrational people.
                  "I always carry a pen in my but, because you never know when things are going to crack off."
                  Unnamed inmate VCJ

Comment

Originally posted by IMPDNE View Post
                    I worked for BPD from 99-02 and unless they changed their policies, there was never a requirement to maintain fitness levels. It has been 5 years since I left though, so change is possible.
                    It might be a new policy, I'm not sure. I've only been working in Bloomington (not for BPD, though, unfortnately) for about two years now.

Quoting from BPD's website about the department's requirements: Must pass the physical fitness standards of the Indiana Law Enforcement Academy and must meet and maintain the physical fitness standards of the Bloomington Police Department throughout employment.
                    "You can just go ahead and common sense your way out of this conundrum!"

Comment

Originally posted by navy80 View Post
                      I think i should expand my list to 15, im curious to how many apps. everyone else put in, are mine too many?
                      I applied with 4 and was still in the process with 3 when I accepted one.
                      I miss you, Dave.
                      http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Anywhere in Hamilton County is a good place to work. Decent pay, good equipment and training. HCSD, Carmel, and Fishers all have state-wide take home cars. That is a huge benefit if you have never had it. I would also suggest Columbus PD or IMPD. I have friends at both departments and seem to be content there. I am not IMPD but I think having your own academy would be a huge bonus. You would get to learn the way your agency wants things done rather than go to ILEA for a basic overview of topics and have to learn the way your PD wants it done when you get home.

I am pretty sure there are many other good PD's out there, but getting into LE I would look into the following:

Brownsburg
                        Avon
                        Fishers
                        Carmel
                        Noblesville
                        IMPD
                        Columbus

Hope it helps. DGI140

Comment

I'd personally stay away from Columbus PD. I have a relative that's a supervisor there and he absolutely hates it. Has for the past several years. Says that they are really overly-strict on the most minute things. He would have left but his wife likes the schools there for the kiddies.

Comment

What does everyone have to say about FWPD? Good, bad, or otherwise? Just wondering.

Comment

Originally posted by DevilDog1371 View Post
                              What does everyone have to say about FWPD? Good, bad, or otherwise? Just wondering.
                              FWPD is a good department to work for if you get in. The pay is very good and there's oportunity for part-time work. I wish that I was recieving that good pay but I'm just a reserve on the department. If you are already an officer, the chances of getting in are pretty good especially if you speak spanish. You get a take-home car in two years or less. But you know, this is only MYopinion on this department. You will probably get different views on it.
                              sigpic
                              "I can do ALL things through Christ which strengtheneth me." Philippians 4:13 (KJV)

Comment

Hey Midcareer can you expand on Columbus. What type of problems has he had? I know you can not be to detailed due to possible observation but just in general. I need this info more than I can explain! Thanks

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2658 users online. 128 members and 2530 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X