300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Ten Six

Hey Ten six I will be the first to ask. How has VT impacted you and your dept. I would think that this hit close to home for you and your coworkers. Are you guys on high alert? More training scheduled? Plans of action being updated and rethought?
    Thanks
    Jeremy
    Originally posted by Smurfette_76
    You will always be disappointed when you expect rational behavior from irrational people.
    "I always carry a pen in my but, because you never know when things are going to crack off."
    Unnamed inmate VCJ

Originally posted by bigj8550
    Hey Ten six I will be the first to ask. How has VT impacted you and your dept. I would think that this hit close to home for you and your coworkers. Are you guys on high alert? More training scheduled? Plans of action being updated and rethought?
    Thanks
    Jeremy
    No new plans in the works. We have active shooter training about six times a year. I recall one training session at a middle school with a couple of hundred kids. We diligently train and we contingencies in place for such a situation. I think we have had seven shooting deaths, on campus, since 1992. We have our share of shooting and stabbings but most are not fatal.

I think people need to realize this could happen anywhere; a hospital, factory, church, etc. I am sick of hearing terms like “lockdown”. You cannot not effectively lock down a community of 26,000 people (in IUB’s case more than 40,000). Securing a large university campus is analogous to securing an average Indiana city. It isn’t the same as an elementary school, high school or a small community college.
    Last edited by Ten Six; 04-17-2007, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Well I am glad to hear that most of what you encounter is not major. Stay safe and good luck if the powers that be decide to flip your world upside down.
      You will always be disappointed when you expect rational behavior from irrational people.
      "I always carry a pen in my but, because you never know when things are going to crack off."
      Unnamed inmate VCJ

Comment

Well I am glad to hear that most of what you encounter is not major. Stay safe and good luck if the powers that be decide to flip your world upside down.
        We get a fair amount of major crimes they just don't usually result in a homicide.

Comment

Don't get me wrong Ten Six. I am in no way saying you guys don't get some serious sh*&^& some times. I am just saying nothing major like what just happened at VT or even a lot of homicides.
          Unnamed inmate VCJ

Comment

Don't get me wrong Ten Six. I am in no way saying you guys don't get some serious sh*&^& some times. I am just saying nothing major like what just happened at VT or even a lot of homicides.
            No we don't, thankfully.

Comment

Originally posted by Ten Six
              I think people need to realize this could happen anywhere; a hospital, factory, church, etc. I am sick of hearing terms like “lockdown”. You cannot not effectively lock down a community of 26,000 people (in IUB’s case more than 40,000). Securing a large university campus is analogous to securing an average Indiana city. It isn’t the same as an elementary school, high school or a small community college.
              THANK YOU TEN SIX!!! The media has taken this and ran with it, like they always do. I said this from the very beginning yesterday....I am very surprised these types of mass murders don't happen more often.

I do not care what plans are in place. If someone really wants to do what was done yesterday, there is very little that can be done to stop them. The only reason many of these plots get intercepted before they can be carried out is because they run their mouths beforehand and word gets out to the authorities...THANKFULLY.

The media and many of the general public cannot comprehend that most major colleges are bigger than some small towns. Try locking down a city, it's going to be nearly impossible to do so. A college lockdown is also going to be hard to carry out. It's not like these campuses have prison walls around the entire perimeter.

Comment

To be honest, I haven't paid to much attention to this VTech shooting, what I have read seems to be fairly straightforward. To me it doesn't seem like any mistakes were made by authorities. They thought the shooter left campus, so they didn't feel the need to cancel classes. Then the shooter goes for a second attack in another building on the other side of campus. According to what I've read, the first officers on scene at the second shooting did form entry teams and go straight in.

To me it looks like this kid had this planned and that maybe he'd done some research on police response times, plans, etc. To sum up my rambling, it just seems like this was a tragic situation nobody could have prevented.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the students, family and staff members of the victims. I also extend those same thoughts and prayers to the emergency responders who will have to deal with the memories of that day forever.

Comment

It sounds to me like this kid did a distraction on one side of the campus the went to the other side a half mile away to do the main attraction. While the police were busy on the other side. There for increasing the response time. But why if he was planing on killing himself?

All this doesn't make sense to me. Maybe after more facts and evidence is presented.
                  Last edited by bigj8550; 04-17-2007, 04:40 PM.
                  Unnamed inmate VCJ

Comment

Could be notoriety, maybe he was an EDP, who knows what compels people to peform violent acts.

Comment

IUPD Part Time Officers are restricted from carrying off-duty, yes? Do you know the reasoning behind that policy? Seems like it could save lives if it happened at IU.

Comment

Originally posted by carty
                        IUPD Part Time Officers are restricted from carrying off-duty, yes? Do you know the reasoning behind that policy? Seems like it could save lives if it happened at IU.
                        That policy applies to only to student part-time officers. They are also prohibited from utilizing their police powers while off-duty. The policy was enacted after a few “indiscretions” by young (18-21 yr old) police officers.

We have a contingent of part-time regular officers that are not affected by that policy. The policy can be suspended or modified at the discretion of the police chief.

Full-time officers and part-time regulars have 24/7 police authority throughout Indiana (most think we can’t go off campus) and they may carry a sidearm in all 50 states.

IUPD would also respond to any such incident off campus as well. It’s not uncommon to see IUPD responding to off-campus calls or working off campus.

Comment

deleted........
                          Last edited by pc2761; 04-18-2007, 07:04 PM. Reason: doesnt come across as polite, dont want to be reported
                          Im pretty much amazing. Just ask anyone about me, im kinda a big deal. I have many leather bound books and my house smells rich of mahogany.

Comment

Originally posted by SW Indiana
                            I do not care what plans are in place. If someone really wants to do what was done yesterday, there is very little that can be done to stop them. The only reason many of these plots get intercepted before they can be carried out is because they run their mouths beforehand and word gets out to the authorities...THANKFULLY.

The media and many of the general public cannot comprehend that most major colleges are bigger than some small towns. Try locking down a city, it's going to be nearly impossible to do so. A college lockdown is also going to be hard to carry out. It's not like these campuses have prison walls around the entire perimeter.
                            +1 exactly right. No amount of active shooter practive and planning is going to prevent it, especially university police department staffing numbers.
                            And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.”- Romans 8:28

Comment

Originally posted by OffDuty
                              +1 exactly right. No amount of active shooter practive and planning is going to prevent it, especially university police department staffing numbers.
                              Active shooter training is not designed to prevent such an incident. It is intended to stop such an incident.

UPD staffing numbers, is irrelevant. Active shooter squads can consist of as few as two officers. Most, if not all, of Indiana's UPD's (not security) have more officers that most Indiana towns. My UPD has about 300 officers. My division (individual campus) has 65 police officers. Those numbers don’t compare to an urban PD but is certainly more than most Indiana towns.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4622 users online. 283 members and 4339 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X